You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Should attempted murder be allowed in professional sports

2»

Comments

• Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    No Draymond Green should be banned for life from the game.
    TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO KIDS IS DIFFICULT WHY DID THAT MAN DO THAT DAD , because the other man fouled him , can off worms after that . banned for life if you can't control yourself , they're meant to be role models . off course sometimes it goes to far , so get out in park and settle it where no one see's it off course .. if it has to come to that . but Draymond will regret that happening . just a moment off madness .we all have them .
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,724
    Draymond green should be in a police cell let alone banned from the sport.
    legascaac said:

TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO KIDS IS DIFFICULT WHY DID THAT MAN DO THAT DAD , because the other man fouled him , can off worms after that . banned for life if you can't control yourself , they're meant to be role models . off course sometimes it goes to far , so get out in park and settle it where no one see's it off course .. if it has to come to that . but Draymond will regret that happening . just a moment off madness .we all have them .

actually I dont believe he will regret any of this in the slightest. The guy has had many ejections for terrible fouls has repeatedly attacked in ways which could kill or cause career ending injuries and consistently been in trouble for this. He has openly said in the media he will play how he wants to play regardless of what people think or consequences of this in response when he has been in trouble.

This does not strike me as a man that regrets anything if he actually does kill someone and has to serve a prison sentence at that point he may regret it I dont know but until then he wont.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,119

Ok, this is I feel creating a dangerous precedent.

Will Valentino Rossi end up retrospectively charged with manslaughter because it was he who ran over a fallen Marco Simoncelli, resulting in Marcos death. One of the more public tragedies of recent years, witnessed live by a global audience of some 10,000,000

Contact sports like auto sports carry an inherent risk. Participants fully and willingly accept that.

All over the world every year cars and bikes crash, rugby scrums collapse, boxers and MMA fighters suffer head injury, cricketers get struck, jockeys fall, and the beat goes on.

Unless it's a deliberate and reckless act surely there's no case to answer.

I think we all agree that participating in any sport carries it's risks but to quote the Rossi Incident,Scrums,MMA etc is completely different to this tragic event. The investigators have obviously sought the opinions of 'Professionals' in this area, as stated in the Police statement hence why the charges have been laid. It seems to me that the whole case will be decided on the video evidence,which doesn't prove intent or not either way.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,292
    lucy4 said:

Ok, this is I feel creating a dangerous precedent.

Will Valentino Rossi end up retrospectively charged with manslaughter because it was he who ran over a fallen Marco Simoncelli, resulting in Marcos death. One of the more public tragedies of recent years, witnessed live by a global audience of some 10,000,000

Contact sports like auto sports carry an inherent risk. Participants fully and willingly accept that.

All over the world every year cars and bikes crash, rugby scrums collapse, boxers and MMA fighters suffer head injury, cricketers get struck, jockeys fall, and the beat goes on.

Unless it's a deliberate and reckless act surely there's no case to answer.

I think we all agree that participating in any sport carries it's risks but to quote the Rossi Incident,Scrums,MMA etc is completely different to this tragic event. The investigators have obviously sought the opinions of 'Professionals' in this area, as stated in the Police statement hence why the charges have been laid. It seems to me that the whole case will be decided on the video evidence,which doesn't prove intent or not either way.
    Not sure it is completely different. In rugby players often punch, knee, drop an elbow into an opponent, twist a scrum, clear out with tremendous force and knowingly take players out late or off the ball. All these could lead to serious injury or death.

Combat sport participants deliberately attempt to either knock out, choke out or submit by extreme pain or sensory deprivation their opponents. Premeditated certainly.

Cricketers (bowlers) have a long history of deliberate indimidatory bowling. Some batsmen have been killed.

NFL until recently allowed helmet to helmet contact whilst the N.H.L was founded on fights, goons and anti heroes.

Perhaps the Rossi / Marco incident is different. Vale could do nothing to avoid the fallen rider, but even so riders have often been seriously injured and or killed because somebody else was reckless and wanted a piece of track that just wasn't there.

Speedway is notorious for riding the opponent "up the boards". At least 1 rider dies every season and yet nobody is ever charged.

If Petgrave is prosecuted and found guilty. This will open up a litigation minefield. Retrospective actions will follow and as Governing bodies all over the world, who are legally responsible for H and S within their associations and organisations, alter laws, rules and legislation, the way sport is played changes irrevocably.

That's my belief. It's also my fear.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375

Green has been given a 5 game ban.

Feels about right, all things considered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/67435930
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,119
    I don't disagree with much of what you say but you know there's gonna be a 'But' coming. Rossi didn't do a deliberate wheelie at Marco. I just think this case raises a few questions more than older versions. I think the player done a 'Roy Keane' but didn't know the outcome of his actions. Murder is premeditated he obviously didn't plan it but it happened,
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Essexphil said:

Allan23 said:

Awful debate parameters.

You can't walk down the street and slide tackle someone or shoulder barge them. You can't jab, hook and uppercut someone until a referee stops it in the street. You can't rugby tackle someone.

Sport isn't subject to the same law an ordinary situation is.

Completely agree.

There is consent to a wide range of actions, covering all the normal Negligence etc.

There are rare exceptions, where there has been a malicious act. Like Duncan Ferguson's headbutt.

The ice hockey one-was that a terrible accident, or a deliberate act?
    I played when i was younger and have been watching it my whole life.
    When i first saw it on my phone i thought he had been checked and spun round with the force
    I have seen this before and players putting their skate up involuntarily as an instinct to keep balance.
    On further viewing, its looks far from innocent, obviously he never intended what happened but I think he meant to 'do' him.