You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Trying to become a profitable player. SPIKE4000. DAY 2

Comments

• Options
    Spike4000Spike4000 Member Posts: 278
    giesahaun said:

Sky poker has a useful section in My Account > Gaming History > Sky Poker. You can see in particular a summary of your Stakes, Returns and Profit/Loss for each of the past year's months.

thanks
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@Spike4000

OK, understood. But it's very cheap, & it is most definitely a great self-motivating tool.

i'll look into it
  • Options
    GREGSTER said:

Hey spike. Firstly well done on flattening the graph, and that isn't being sarcastic, it is a really good start.

One thing that I would recommend that doesn't take too much time is looking at shove/fold ranges for anything up to around 15BBs, you can use free apps like snapshove and pokercoaching.com that have this information, so when you are short stacked, which will be fairly regular, you can either look things up on your phone or have them on another screen if you have two screens. (They don't take into account bounties, but you won't go far wrong).

thanks, i have done some studying lately and i have been using a website called mypokercoaching .com i think
  • Options
    daggers747daggers747 Member Posts: 188
    For me
    Stop playing all in sats.
    Stick to low stakes until you feel you are improving .
    Play the type of tournament that suits your style.
    The higher stakes you go the better in general the players.
    Dont worry about results enjoy the little victories.

Still play the odd higher stake if you want .Try to appreciate the difference in play and take it back to your regular games,
    Best of luck.
    Daggers
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,361
    Its great to see you turn around your game.

The app that @GREGSTER mentions on Android is https://play.google.com/store/search?q=pokercoaching&c=apps&hl=en&gl=US

and its also available on in the browser, both free.

https://pokercoaching.com/push-fold-app/
  • Options
    diamondleediamondlee Member Posts: 68
    Good luck Spike4000! B)
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Hey @Spike4000 , good luck with this. Please do make this into a poker diary type thread and keep us all informed of your results.

As others have said, well done on flattening the graph - I'm sure this will be the the start of the turnaround!

In terms of games, I would be ditching the sats. I would stick to everything £5.50 and lower, at least in the short term. You will be profitable over time in these games by just doing the basics correctly.

There are much better players than me who regularly peruse this forum, but more than happy to discuss micro-stakes hands with you. And I think it would also be good to post a hand or two in here for people to provide you with feedback on what you've done well and what you could've done better.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I was expecting a couple but this has been great, thanks for all the support I will definitely be making this a daily updates thread <3
  • Options
    coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    Good luck with this.
    As everyone else has said stick with the games you are happiest with. I went 60 odd all in’s at the beginning of the year without a win. They can eat into your stack. Maybe enter a few if you are having a good day.
    Better to back yourself and play a few micro sats it’s nice to have the odd shot at a bigger game.
    And remember the hands where you got lucky after a bad beat.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,171
    Good luck with this.

There are some good players on here who are only too happy to help.

Will follow with interest.
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 934
    Excellent stuff @Spike4000

Please keep the updates coming.

Good luck at the tables. You'll be crushing in no time.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Excellent stuff @Spike4000

Please keep the updates coming.

Good luck at the tables. You'll be crushing in no time.

• Options
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    GREGSTERSmall blind400.00400.0031825.00
    Spike4000Big blind800.001200.003555.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    raggy94Fold
    Gp1991Fold
    GREGSTERAll-in31825.0033025.000.00
    Spike4000All-in3555.0036580.000.00
    GREGSTERUnmatched bet27870.008710.0027870.00
    GREGSTERShow
    • J
    Spike4000Show
    • A
    • Q
    Flop
    • J
    Turn
    River
    • K
    GREGSTERWinPair of Jacks8710.0036580.00
    This is the bubble of the £5.50 freezy. £20 for 3rd nothing for 4th. am i right to call here? all advice welcomed. just not sure. in my head its an easy call but on such a big bubble is it the right call?
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,744
    edited November 2023
    @Spike4000 you gotta be in it to win it, ul imo, i think its a good call. esp if you was the short stack.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    Well done on turning things around. Some quick tips:

1. Never play all in sats unless they have zero or positive expectation. For example, a £3.30 satellite into the £110 Sunday Major with 30 runners has positive expectation. 35 runners does not.
    2. Open min raise as standard above 15bb. Open jam otherwise.
    3. Be much looser than you think with open jamming. Be tighter than you think with calling. Jonathan Little has some free push/fold charts to help you here.
    4. Watch some good players stream like BenCB, Allinpav and Matt Staples. Be active with your watching and think about what you would do.
    5. One and done on the flop is still an effective strat at low stakes mtts.
    5. Be patient when deeper and let weaker players give their chips to you. Most of your EV comes from making big hands and getting paid.
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    Good luck with this spike, well done on the turnaround. I've got scope so thought would be useful for you to see your year to date graph, roi looking good.

also noticed this in the game breakdowns which is your graph in the freerolls, crushing them..

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,451

That's so helpful, well done @benc

I've got Sharky too, so I could have done that if I'd known how. The internet, pfft, it'll never catch on.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Spike4000 said:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    GREGSTERSmall blind400.00400.0031825.00
    Spike4000Big blind800.001200.003555.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    raggy94Fold
    Gp1991Fold
    GREGSTERAll-in31825.0033025.000.00
    Spike4000All-in3555.0036580.000.00
    GREGSTERUnmatched bet27870.008710.0027870.00
    GREGSTERShow
    • J
    Spike4000Show
    • A
    • Q
    Flop
    • J
    Turn
    River
    • K
    GREGSTERWinPair of Jacks8710.0036580.00
    This is the bubble of the £5.50 freezy. £20 for 3rd nothing for 4th. am i right to call here? all advice welcomed. just not sure. in my head its an easy call but on such a big bubble is it the right call?
    @Spike4000

The crucial piece evidence here (imo) is;

1) The stack size of @GREGSTER

2) The stack sizes of the other 2 players. (Which you don't tell us).

However, we do know he starts the hand with 40 BB & you start the hand with 4 BB.

So he's doing the right thing & using his stack to bully you.

In these situations, we can call wider than normal because he is almost always shoving wider than normal.

Personally, I'm calling this very quickly.

SO many different pieces of info need to be weighed in each specific spot.

If you & GREGSTER have equal stacks, it becomes a completely different problem.
  • Options

Something else it's important to bear in mind.

Just because we LOSE a hand does not mean we played it badly.

And the opposite applies too, winning a hand does not necessarily mean we played it well.

In the hand with GREGSTER I believe (based on the limited info we have) you called correctly. The result, though, is irrelative.
  • Options
    coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    The posted hand above is a call every time. Though you may not like doing it. Have to take into consideration both the stack sizes of the other 2 players, from what I can gather there are still 20k chips unaccounted for.
    Not going to get much better chance. Gregster yet is pushing any 2 here.