You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Boris getting his excuses in early....

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

I really detest this, where "sources close to Boris", & advisors "expect him to say" etc, & they wheel out his "expected" lines in advance. Make no mistake, every word of this is by Boris.

Politicians really do think we are stupid, don't they?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67597455

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Government, especially No 10, do it all the time of course.

On Tuesday, it is expected that Mr Sunak will announce....

The Chancellor is likely to cut/raise taxes in next week's Mini-Budget...

Sources suggest the Rwanda Policy will continue

And so on, day after day. It's called "briefing", & all the Press get the word before we do. Why should the press & media know these things before we do? How is that right?

PS - if you have not sussed it already, I'm a bit grumpy this morning. I'll shut up now.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Tikay10 said:

PS - if you have not sussed it already, I'm a bit grumpy this morning. I'll shut up now.

Have we missed your 90th Birthday?

:)
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

Have we missed your 90th Birthday?

:)
    90th?
    I thought he was due a telegram.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 578
    Standard MO for govern,ent into release the details early to judge reaction before an official announcement.

One of the reasons the markets crashed and there was media outrage at Trussenomics was because the announcement was a complete surprise that didn't follow the MO.
    Nadine Dorries' Defence Of Boris Johnson Mocked For Throwing Ex-PM 'Under A Bus'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/nadine-dorries-defence-boris-johnson-130322640.html
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    Covid inquiry faces seventeenth evacuation of the day after Boris’ trousers keep catching fire.

Boris Johnson is giving evidence at the Covid Inquiry, but has so far managed only a few minutes of testimony due to the repeated fire alarms that activate each time he provides one of his ‘answers’.

With exhausted firefighters rushing in and out of the building every few minutes, some have questioned if Boris should be made to give evidence while sitting in a bath of water.

As one attendee told us, “Things got off to a bad start when Boris was sworn in and put his hand on a bible that instantly burst into flames. That should have been a sign of what was to come, really.

“Since then, each question he’s faced has led to a whooshing sound and a small fireball appearing under his table. The alarm goes off, the firemen come in and put him out, we all take our seats, another question gets asked and the alarm goes off again – and so the cycle continues.

“The only time he’s answered a question without his trousers bursting into flames was when he was asked what he wanted for lunch.

“Unfortunately, they were unable to offer him a ‘steak and a ****’.”

https://newsthump.com/2023/12/06/covid-inquiry-faces-seventeenth-evacuation-of-the-day-after-boris-trousers-keep-catching-fire/?fbclid=IwAR12uDiRPEjP_qQidtTltGSemwKKAqX4YwouOClADSJnwNu4ZmtVLMcobOU
  • legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 161
    Murdered a lot off people with his mistakes . Like Trump who can he fling under a bus as a cover up with lies and twisted truth ,words off no purpose .
    Lazy and fraudulent: we saw the true Johnson at the Covid inquiry – and why his like must never have power again

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/lazy-fraudulent-saw-true-johnson-183441000.html
    edited December 2023
    legascaac said:

Murdered a lot off people with his mistakes . Like Trump who can he fling under a bus as a cover up with lies and twisted truth ,words off no purpose .

@legascaac

Morning.

I'm quite sure many of us - perhaps most of us? - despise Mr Johnson for his habit of lying & his style of Government - I certainly do - but we need to keep it real.

There is no evidence or suggestion that he murdered anyone, or not that I'm aware.

murder; the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Nothing he did or did not do fits that ^^^ bill in my opinion.

Possibly we could try "manslaughter"...

Conduct that was grossly negligent given the risk of death, and did kill

Really, we'd need someone with a legal background to advise ( @Essexphil &/or others) to advise us.

I'm pretty sure though that we can't reasonably suggest he is guilty of murder in it's widest sense.

Did our Government mess up their COVID response? That's not as clear cut as many of us would like to think. A pandemic out of the blue in modern times is a horrendously difficult problem, no matter who is in power there would have been some failures, as almost none of us, or anyone in power, have experienced it before.

Yes, there were definite failures, but I'm reasonably sure that whatever Party was in power would have made mistakes. Similar problems arose in almost every country in the World. Nobody had experience of this dreadful thing that came along with such frightening speed.

There were, let's not forget, successes in the UK too. Boris can take no credit imo, but as a country, we did get the vaccine rollout impressively quickly & efficiently, given it's complexity. That saved a LOT of lives in the UK, certainly hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions. (And yes, it may have inadvertently killed several hundred here too).

I just think we don't need to overdo the rhetoric, as it does our case no good at all.

Modern society seems to love looking in the rear-view mirror & finger-pointing. The problems in the real world are somewhat more nuanced. Even the best Governments will make mistakes.

• legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 161
    Very fair point but the buck stops at him . Lots off families lay blame firmly at BOJO's door as do I ..
    legascaac said:

Very fair point but the buck stops at him . Lots off families lay blame firmly at BOJO's door as do I ..

@legascaac

Do you think that if Labour had been in power & Mr Starmer the PM, he's have done a better job?

By any reasonable yardstick, he's a better human being than Mr Johnson. Whether he could have avoided the same dithering & mistakes is another matter. Less corruption, yes, but the same exceptionally difficult problems.

I believe that whatever Government was in power at the time would have almost certainly made similar mistakes. It was a problem without precedent in modern times, & an extremely complex one to predict how it would all pan out.
    legascaac said:

Well, he was the Prime Minister, so yes, the buck stops there. No argument about that.

Do we really think dithery Keir Starmer would have done a better job? I seriously doubt it.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    I don't like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. Never have. Never will. A maverick. An ideas man. But never a leader of men, never mind a country.

But, despite this, I do not believe Boris made a bad job of the pandemic. It is easy with the benefit of hindsight to show where mistakes were made. Rather more difficult to deal with stuff as it happened.

Releasing infected people back into Care Homes was certainly the worst mistake. But it was certainly not the only reason-for example, in my area, Cleaners were allowed to work 1 day a week at several care homes at the same time. And I haven't seen clear guidance from the Scientists advising against actions taken in relation to Care Homes.

We went into lockdown 3 weeks or so too late. And probably continued to take measures for too long when Covid had changed into a far smaller risk. But far more difficult at the time without knowing the future.

Various politicians seemed to have taken the opportunity to rip us off with shonky deals in relation to PPE. Although Boris (surprisingly) does not appear to be 1 of them. Quite possibly because, at the key time, he was close to death himself. I cannot understand why the NHS did not have a bigger role there (the PPE, not his health).

People need to stop the blame game. Quite apart from anything else, Boris will (thankfully) never be in a position of power again. And quietly, genuinely, seek to learn lessons for the future

"People need to stop the blame game".

THIS.

I'm not at all sure just shouting & finger-pointing solves anything, especially as we have the luxury of hindsight.

As it happens, I'm utterly convinced the UK did a better job that the USA did.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,673
    Tikay10 said:

THIS.

I'm not at all sure just shouting & finger-pointing solves anything, especially as we have the luxury of hindsight.

Agreed.

But I do think that those people who took advantage and made millions from PPE contracts should definitely be brought to task.
    tai-gar said:

Tikay10 said:

THIS.

Agreed.

But I do think that those people who took advantage and made millions from PPE contracts should definitely be brought to task.
    @tai-gar

No argument there at all. Sue them, take them to Court imo. And I'd like to think that it would not have happened, or at least been as widespread, if Labour had been in power.

Government Ministers & MP's should not even have been involved in procurement, that's the job of the NHS & for all their faults I'm sure they would have done it better, faster & cheaper. It does seem as if a greedy corrupt few took advantage of the situation.

There were so many moody things going off. If we think corrupt PPE Procurement cost the country fortunes, just try & work out how much those "Bounce Back Loans" cost the Country. Companies were being set up expressly to exploit them, & they could "borrow" £50,000 almost no questions asked & at a moment's notice. I bet the cost of all those failed loans comes to 10 times the dodgy PPE procurement deals.

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    “The story of PPE purchasing is perhaps the most shameful episode the UK government response to the pandemic. At the start of the pandemic health service and social care staff were left to risk their own and their families’ lives due to the lack of basic PPE. In a desperate bid to catch up the government splurged huge amounts of money, paying obscenely inflated prices and payments to middlemen in a chaotic rush during which they chucked out even the most cursory due diligence. This has left us with massive public contracts now under investigation by the National Crime Agency or in dispute because of allegations of modern slavery in the supply chain.

Add to that a series of inappropriate, unauthorised severance payoffs made by clinical commissioning groups in the first year of the pandemic and the impression given falls even further from what we expect.

DHSC singularly failed to manage this crisis, despite years of clear and known risk of a pandemic, and the challenges facing it now are vast, from getting the NHS back on its feet to preparing for the next major crisis. There are frankly too few signs that it is putting its house in order or knows how to.”