You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Everest Anywhere A Personal Challenge for September and October.

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,360
    Well done, when ah was in Liverpool last week, one day ah walked 38,500 steps on pretty level ground, that included stopping at about 12 boozers, ma legs are still sore, yours must be gowping.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,890
    edited September 11
    There is no pain walking to the Boozer, only when you fall over on the way Home. hic!
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,600
    45 floors on the climbmaster = 450ft

0.5 miles @ 7.5% incline = 198ft

Total for the day = 648ft

Total current ascent = 5,334

Ascent remaining = 23,700

Not really sure why I decided to do this. I'm certain that as I progress I will see some benefits, maybe, possibly, perhaps.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,535
    rabdeniro said:

Well done, when ah was in Liverpool last week, one day ah walked 38,500 steps on pretty level ground, that included stopping at about 12 boozers, ma legs are still sore, yours must be gowping.

@rabdeniro

wow, that's a lot of steps.

When I play a round of golf, (7 miles, roughly) it's usually about 16,000 steps according to my "Step App" thing.

On that basis you walked about 18 miles that day.
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,930
    rabdeniro said:

uber
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,744
    Tikay10 said:

rabdeniro said:

@rabdeniro

When I play a round of golf, (7 miles, roughly) it's usually about 16,000 steps according to my "Step App" thing.

Yea but he can only remember the first 5,000 steps...
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,360
    Tikay10 said:

rabdeniro said:

@rabdeniro

Ah was thinking that myself, usually ah walk about 20,000 steps a day when am on holiday.
    When ah was in London in May for 5 days ah averaged 22,000 steps a day.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,434
    This is a great challenge @TheEdge949, just a quick question if you don't mind, once you have scaled the mighty Everest how long are you giving yourself to get down again? :D
    Enut said:

This is a great challenge @TheEdge949, just a quick question if you don't mind, once you have scaled the mighty Everest how long are you giving yourself to get down again? :D

Love it. Actually thinking that if all goes well and I can complete by the end of October I might go again but with ankle weights and a weighted vest to replicate 4 season boots and a pack with oxygen bottle.

Surely a truer test of the body and mind.

On a side note I've been lucky enough to get tickets to go and see Kenton Cool on his tour, Buxton Opera House 20th Oct.

Kenton is a Himalayan and Alpine Mountain Guide and holds the record for the most summits of Everest by a non Sherpa, currently 18.

His talk this season is about K2 which he topped out on in 2021. It's in many climbers books, the most savage mountain of all the 8,000m peaks. So looking forward to it.

Further update on the challenge to follow soon.
    Enut said:

He bought a Wingsuit.... 5 minutes

• JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 357
    Easy game if you can tick the checklist - I failed on step one :p

You need to be an advanced climber with:

Altitude experience of at least 7000m (a summit of Aconcagua is sufficient)
    Technical familiarity, confidence and proven experience with cramponing and glacier and fixed line climbing
    Comfortable with exposure and steep rock and ice terrain
    A well rounded resume of climbing experience (please feel free to contact us with your climbing experience to see if it is appropriate)

For success on Everest you need to have a high level of ‘climbing specific fitness’ and aerobic capability and strength. It is vital that your training closely simulates what you will be doing on the mountain. Traditional gym workouts or general fitness plans aren’t targeted enough. You need to emulate long physical days (10hrs +) in the mountains, back to back.

You should:

Start training specifically for Everest at least 9-12months in advance of departure.
    Have the time to commit to training 5-6 days a week
    Be comfortable hiking 1,500 vertical ft per hour with a 20lb pack.
    Concentrate on High Volume but Low Intensity training

Mindset and mental preparation are integral to your success on Everest.

Everest is a sustained and stressful environment for 2 months. Your psychological and emotional state need to be robust and ready to face a multitude of challenges.

While you are training, push yourself so you start to get ‘comfortable with being uncomfortable’.

Whilst training, get to the point you want to quit and picture yourself on the mountain to find the motivation you need to push yourself.

As a base, you need to:

Be prepared and comfortable being away from home/work for 8-10 weeks
    Have a desire for rugged adventure travel and be adaptable enough to ‘roll with the punches’
    Be prepared to be patient. There is extensive ‘down time’ at Base Camp that can feel monotonous.
    Be open to receiving and deferring to guidance, support and advice from your guides/expedition leaders (even if you are an experienced mountaineer)
    Be able to manage and regulate your stress levels effectively
    Be comfortable having open conversations with your guides
    Be able to work within a team environment and be supportive of fellow team members
    Be humble, respectful and considerate even under pressure
    "What you say," the alternative is cookery classes...... with Gordon Ramsay.
    Thursday was a washout as the legs just wouldn't work and 5 minutes into the warm up I binned it as both calves and quads refused to stop cramping.
    Listen to your body they say and my body was telling me to fk off with the exercise.

However the rest seemed to do some good as Friday saw a return to normality.

88 floors on the climbmaster = 880ft

Total current ascent = 6,214ft

Ascent remaining = 22,820ft

Have a banging weekend all.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,434
    JammyFker said:

Technical familiarity, confidence and proven experience with cramponing and glacier and fixed line climbing
    A well rounded resume of climbing experience (please feel free to contact us with your climbing experience to see if it is appropriate)

For success on Everest you need to have a high level of ‘climbing specific fitness’ and aerobic capability and strength. It is vital that your training closely simulates what you will be doing on the mountain. Traditional gym workouts or general fitness plans aren’t targeted enough. You need to emulate long physical days (10hrs +) in the mountains, back to back.

You should:

Start training specifically for Everest at least 9-12months in advance of departure.

Everest is a sustained and stressful environment for 2 months. Your psychological and emotional state need to be robust and ready to face a multitude of challenges.

While you are training, push yourself so you start to get ‘comfortable with being uncomfortable’.

Whilst training, get to the point you want to quit and picture yourself on the mountain to find the motivation you need to push yourself.

As a base, you need to:

Have a desire for rugged adventure travel and be adaptable enough to ‘roll with the punches’
    Be prepared to be patient. There is extensive ‘down time’ at Base Camp that can feel monotonous.
    Be open to receiving and deferring to guidance, support and advice from your guides/expedition leaders (even if you are an experienced mountaineer)
    Be able to work within a team environment and be supportive of fellow team members

And what's the point? There's not even a pub at the summit!
    JammyFker said:

You should:

As a base, you need to:

The first paragraph made me consider that even advice proffered by experts can be misleading.

Aconcagua is often cited as a benchmark summit for those wishing to progress to the 8,000m peaks, and yet Aconcagua is a peak that can be summited without any technical climbing at all.

It is often advertised as the most accessible high altitude peak available to non climbers and there is apparently a trekking route to the summit.

I would assume that a level of competence with winter mountain skills would be required and that some of the route involves scrambling at some point. However surely to use that as an example of an acceptable 7,000m summit is to severely underplay what is required.

On a personal note if I had the money, fitness, experience and wherewithal to attempt any of the worlds 8,000m peaks, and there's 14 to choose from, it would have to be the one that shares my surname Mount Godwin - Austen or K2 from it's designation Karakorum 2.

A savage mountain with a huge attrition rate and technically difficult in comparison with Everest it is often referred to as the mountaineers mountain.

As of yet only 1 Britain has summited all 14 8,000m peaks Alan Hinkes.
    Hi all and I hope you had a great weekend.

After what can only be described as a very lacklustre couple of days, meaning I did sod all, something special was required to rekindle the challenge and so full of motivation and caffeine I set out to put in a biggie.

Treadmill

0.5Km @ 5% incline = 83ft of ascent
    0.5Km @ 7.5% incline =123ft of ascent
    0.5Km @ 10% incline =164ft of ascent

Climbmaster

130 floors = 1,300ft of ascent

Total ascent for the day = 1,670ft

Current total ascent = 7,884ft - only 86ft short of Machu Picchu

Ascent remaining = 21,150

Whether or not I suffer physically for todays efforts remain to be seen but it was one of those rare occasions when the longer I went the stronger I felt and the tougher it got the more determined I was to push through.

Admittedly as the last 10 floors went by I was pretty much on empty and called it probably with 5 minutes still left on the time.

Ok, head down for a few hours, start the day at 6.45 and then hit the gym mid morning and see what happens.

Nighty night all.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,535

That was your best day yet if I'm not mistaken?
    You lookin fit.......

Tikay10 said:

That was your best day yet if I'm not mistaken?

It was Tony, yes.

Was hoping to replicate it Tuesday but a shattered lower right Wisdom tooth has caused a temporary halt in progress.

Had it removed earlier today and just waiting for the mouth to calm down a little before attempting some verts later. Required a couple of stitches after the extraction, which felt like it was done with a JCB, so it's all a bit swollen and painful.

Still, never a dull moment eh?
    edited September 19
    Hi all

Well I managed to drag my aching limbs and very sore jaw to the gym for some verticality progression. Not sure if that's actually an expression, but hey, why should the Americans have all the fun with verbing nouns.

Ok the truth was my face felt like I'd just lost a particularly one sided fight and so I really wanted to get done quickly and steeply so here are the nights efforts.

Treadmill

0.2miles @ 7.5% incline = 79ft
    0.2miles @ 10% incline =105ft
    0.2miles @ 12.5% incline = 132ft
    0.2miles @ 15% incline = 159ft
    0.2miles @ 17.5% incline = 185ft

Total 660ft of ascent

Climbmaster

35 floors = 350ft

Total Daily ascent = 1,010ft

Total current ascent = 8,894ft

Ascent remaining = 20,140

Tomorrow will be a fairly quiet day as Friday and Saturday sees me undertake a 24 hour airsoft game on Anglesey. I will have the fitbit fully charged to record the total elevation I complete during that.

I'm outta here.