You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????

huuuuumehuuuuume Member Posts: 569
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
just noticed that tonight's open is 3k guaranteed.  this is the lowest i have ever seen it be. 

does the 8pm start time suit people? i know i am rarely ever in a position to buy in at 8pm even though i will always play it if im online.

can it be put back on tv?  i have seen some of the terrible stuff being shown on sky poker channel and there is no way any replay of last month's primo is worth watching.  i know for a fact a lot of people followed the open on that channel and play just so they can be on the shout out part at the beginning or to have their hand looked at.

basically i think its a joke that what used to be the flagship tournament on sky poker has become so small and insignificant especially when it has finally been given a slightly improved structure. 

please change it back otherwise it will die on its feet

Comments

• Options
    luvBWFCluvBWFC Member Posts: 763
    edited April 2010
    I agree that the reason I came to SKY in the 1st place was the televised Open, and the chance to get a hand analysed. I stay for the atmosphere! ;)
  • Options
    DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    edited April 2010

yes i noticed this with a lot of the MTTs when i came back everything had changed. I loved the open but 3k just seems like its shoved under the carpet and buy ins now for most are more expensive so dont play them now. It should be accessible to all. 10quid for 6k was much more appealing. There were quite a few for a tenner but this seems to have fizzled out. Whats the reason for this sky? Its just like polaticians making cuts all the time and the generall public arnt really benefitting. I wont be voting unless i get something back.

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited April 2010

Well there will be less runners so you have more chance of winning?

Footys on int it, although It's one of my playing days today - ill be playing 5pm till 7-30, then starting again at 10pm onwards - ITS BARCA V  ARSENAL!!!!! - Priorities chaps!!!

When its 5-0 to Barca after 10 minutes I might log on in a hurry and catch the open tho! lol

Theo's night tonight!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????:
    Well there will be less runners so you have more chance of winning? Footys on int it, although It's one of my playing days today - ill be playing 5pm till 7-30, then starting again at 10pm onwards - ITS BARCA V  ARSENAL!!!!! - Priorities chaps!!! When its 5-0 to Barca after 10 minutes I might log on in a hurry and catch the open tho! lol Theo's night tonight!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thank god for you Dohhhhh i totaly forgot! i hope it aint 5-0 buy then ill have to head but my lcd and ruin all those nice little pixles. Is it on sky or normal telly?
  • Options
    EVONUTSEVONUTS Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2010
    huuuuuume your exactly right,
    sky poker used to play the open every night on tv now its just twice thursday and sunday.
    whats happened,or is it sky getting greedy? why pay presenters when you can replay things over and over.

also the reason why the sky tourney amounts are going down is probably due to the way sky customer services treat people,not a dig but sometimes they are very rude!

BRING BACK THE OLD SKY !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,430
    edited April 2010

Tonight's Open has a £3,000 Guarantee, reduced from the normal £4,000, because it clashes with the Arsenal-Barca Champions League televised match, & I dare say the Guarantee on Wednesday's 8pm Main Event will follow a similar pattern too, as that clashes with Man Utd's CL 2nd leg, again televised Live.

Online Poker suffers from such things as Champions League football, as the Client base has massive crossover, as well as being quite seasonal.

The Guarantees were also reduced - correctly as it transpired - during most of the Champions League nights during the last few months.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited April 2010
    I remember a while ago, someone from sky came on the forums and asked the question. What do we want from Sky.. I think the answer they got suprised them as not many people said the TV show was important. They prefered good structured tournies rather than 10 seconds of fame.

I'm guessing the numbers are down because its TKO tonight isn't it? Where over 1000 people will be playing and alot of the people involved with this do not multi table.

Its a decision Sky need to make. Do they boost the GTD and risk having an overlay but encourage more to play, or play it safe and put the GTD down but in turn will drop the number of runners. It looks like they have gone with the latter.

In my opinion its got a bit crazy with all the GTD drops, Some nights you can win the main event 8pm and 1st prize is not even 4 figures. Don't get me wrong its still a big prize for a £10 buyin but winning the open was used to be 1200+
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tonight's Open has a £3,000 Guarantee, reduced from the normal £4,000, because it clashes with the Arsenal-Barca Champions League televised match, & I dare say the Guarantee on Wednesday's 8pm Main Event will follow a similar pattern too, as that clashes with Man Utd's CL 2nd leg, again televised Live. Online Poker suffers from such things as Champions League football, as the Client base has massive crossover, as well as being quite seasonal. The Guarantees were also reduced - correctly as it transpired - during most of the Champions League nights during the last few months.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Does this mean its gonna be a bad time for poker tornys with the world cup coming up?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K???????? : Does this mean its gonna be a bad time for poker tornys with the world cup coming up?
    Posted by Dazler
    Certainly not! "Bad" is relative though.

Online Poker, wherever we play it, is at it's busiest in the winter, when the weather is bad, & football is not being televised. And in the Summer, when the weather is good, & the World Cup is being televised, traffic to Online Poker sites is still "good" (asnother relative term) but not as high as in the winter months on "dead" football nights. Champions League, in particular, has massive drawing power, just as poker has, but when they clash, something has to give.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SO COULD YOU PLEASE ANSWER WHY SKY ONLY TELEVISE TWICE A WEEK NOW ?
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2010
    SKY - Bin the CL footie (Sport of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade")

Invest in promoting the new Peoples Game - POKER

before someone else overtakes the lead SkyPoker have!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SKY - Bin the CL footie (Sport of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade") Invest in promoting the new Peoples Game - POKER before someone else overtakes the lead SkyPoker have!
    Posted by Red_King
    WELL SAID
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Posted by EVONUTS
    I'll do my best, but I may have to finish the reply tomorrow, as, & I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of the timing, I'm due in the Studio in 15 minutes, to be the "stooge" in a whole day of Screen Tests for additional TV Presenters for the Channel. All female, too, I run so bad.....

Firstly, it's a little disingenous to say "Sky (Poker) only Televise twice a week now".

They have three Live Shows, on Thursday, Saturday, & Sunday. Saturday's Show is reserved for Cash Games in the main, which was by customer demand, & it's very popular.

They also have a bunch of recorded Shows, which are recorded on Wednesdays, & are transmitted throughout the week - "Play The Presenter", "Primo Final", "The Club", Play My Hand", etc. There have been other variations, too, "MasterCash" & "Total Player" both proved very popular.

The question why "why not Live Shows 7 nights per week?" has been asked, & answered, many times before, but I'll try & recap in my next Post. Bear with me, please.
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K???????? : I'll do my best, but I may have to finish the reply tomorrow, as, & I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of the timing, I'm due in the Studio in 15 minutes, to be the "stooge" in a whole day of Screen Tests for additional TV Presenters for the Channel. All female, too, I run so bad..... Firstly, it's a little disingenous to say "Sky (Poker) only Televise twice a week now". They have three Live Shows, on Thursday, Saturday, & Sunday. Saturday's Show is reserved for Cash Games in the main, which was by customer demand, & it's very popular. They also have a bunch of recorded Shows, which are recorded on Wednesdays, & are transmitted throughout the week - "Play The Presenter", "Primo Final", "The Club", Play My Hand", etc. There have been other variations, too, "MasterCash" & "Total Player" both proved very popular. The question why "why not Live Shows 7 nights per week?" has been asked, & answered, many times before, but I'll try & recap in my next Post. Bear with me, please.
    Posted by Tikay10
    If Orford is not there,
    does that mean Kitty is not auditioning?

Can the tests be shown in a kind of BGT format, to fill the repeat slots?
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's really about cost-effectiveness, or "bangs per buck" as they say these days.

The cost is absolutely enormous, & it all comes out of, broadly, the promotional spend budget. That budget, as a % of total revenue, has actually increased, but they spend it in a more balanced way these days, so that more Clients get more benefit across the Board. The list of different promotional spends is huge, & if it interests you, I'll try & list them all, but it includes this Forum, PTP, TP, TKO, R-a-F, Cash for Points, SPT, & many, many more.

It's a business, & so the payback of all spend is carefully examined & evaluated. The TV audiences are by far the bighgest on Thursday, Satuirday & Sunday, so those are the night the Live Shows are transmitted. (It takes around 20 staff to produce a single TV Show).

If they reverted to 7 nights Live TV, other things would have to "give", it's that simple really.

Note, by the way, that no other significant Online Poker Room has a TV Channel. Why? Because they cost a LOT of money, & that forms part of the promotional spend.

OK, I gotta go, but if you have any further questions, I'll reply tonight or tomorrow, as I have to go now - the ladies are waiting. ;)

• Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited April 2010
    Tonight's Open has a £3,000 Guarantee, reduced from the normal £4,000, because it clashes with the Arsenal-Barca Champions League televised match, & I dare say the Guarantee on Wednesday's 8pm Main Event will follow a similar pattern too, as that clashes with Man Utd's CL 2nd leg, again televised Live. Online Poker suffers from such things as Champions League football, as the Client base has massive crossover, as well as being quite seasonal. The Guarantees were also reduced - correctly as it transpired - during most of the Champions League nights during the last few months.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nearly every guarantee has been reduced, every day!
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2010
    Posted by EVONUTS
    Evo, Huuuuume and anyone else who's interested
    There was a thread a couple of months ago in the TV Channel section which asked similar questions. Tikay gave very in depth replies to all of those and it was probably one of the most interesting threads on the site in so far as the running of Sky Poker and the TV Channel were concerned! Unfortunately, very few people actually came across it but it's well worth a read! See it HERE
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited April 2010
    the ladies are waiting. ;), some of us run so bad lol
  • Options
    huuuuumehuuuuume Member Posts: 569
    edited April 2010

im not bothered whether the open is broadcast or not it was just a suggestion as to why number of players is dropping. 

obv number of players dropping leads sky to cut guaranteed prize.  does increasing the guarantee not increase the number of players? (radical thinking i know) or are sky giving up on the idea of increasing the amount of entrants?

the big issue for me is that sky are cutting the guarantee and therefore making the tournament worth a lot less

the site traffic is barely more now than it was 2 years ago and im surprised sky are making decisions that cannot ever help increase the amount of people playing therefore the amount of money they make. 

the last british site i played on lowered all of their guarantees in a similar way to sky are doing and they ended up going under... many current players will know the site i mean

• Options
    edited April 2010

Thanks Digger, I was looking for that!

I had to truncate that last Post, & I need to be back in the Studio again shortly, but I just wanted to add one more thing.

The numbers of runners on the NON-TELEVISED nights has not dropped at all - in fact, on some nights they have increased. So it's quite difficult to make the case for Live Shows 7 nights per week. Of course, we'd all love that if we could, but life is never quite that simple, & it's a question of balance.