You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????:
    im not bothered whether the open is broadcast or not it was just a suggestion as to why number of players is dropping.  obv number of players dropping leads sky to cut guaranteed prize.  does increasing the guarantee not increase the number of players? (radical thinking i know) or are sky giving up on the idea of increasing the amount of entrants? the big issue for me is that sky are cutting the guarantee and therefore making the tournament worth a lot less the site traffic is barely more now than it was 2 years ago and im surprised sky are making decisions that cannot ever help increase the amount of people playing therefore the amount of money they make.  the last british site i played on lowered all of their guarantees in a similar way to sky are doing and they ended up going under... many current players will know the site i mean
    Posted by huuuuume
    The number of players are not dropping, & overall, the Site is "double-digit" busier this year over last, & that was ditto over the previous year.

The Site is about more -  lot more -  than Tournaments, & the 8pm OPen is but One Tournament.

I'm quite sure that Sky Poker have realised that players have a choice - always - & so will strive to do the near impossible - which is to keep poker players happy!
  • Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited April 2010
    I don't think I would ever consider playing a flagship tournament with a guarantee of 3k. Sky please sort this out otherwise I can see a lot of people going elsewhere (if they haven't already)
  • Options
    luvBWFCluvBWFC Member Posts: 763
    edited April 2010
    If enough people show up then the prize pool will still be 4K anyway. Its a guarantee, not a limit. Its in our own hands.
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited April 2010
    What does it matter WHAT the guarantee is as most of the tournaments where a guarantee is set the prize pool finishes up greater than the guarantee anyway. Personally I can't play the Open tonight due to work commitments, have to get up at 4.30 and don't want to be up after midnight playing poker otherwise I would be in regardless of the guarantee figure.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2010
    I Love the televised tournaments, i wish we could have them 7 nights a week..... but let's not skip the fact that this is still THE ONLY PLACE you can do this 2 nights a week. As for the GTD, if enough people play it will be over the £3k mark, if enough don't then we can't expect Sky to pick up overlay on nights they know it will be quiet so they are quite right to reduce it.

There have been a lot of posts about the value sky offer over the last few months (quite a few i've contributed on and not always in Skys favour)

I've flip - flopped over the value of sky poker a number of times in my logn membership of the site. There are things i don't like . I often voice my opinion on things i'd like to change like PT3 compatability, Site Shop for Poker points etc etc but i eventually came to the conclusion i get good value for money here... Why?

I like to feel important when i manage to get on the telly lol
    I like the feel of a real community, It's like Cheers (where every body knows your name)
    I like to feel invested in the site, this is MY site
    I have never, ever, ever ever ever had a site that acted so quickly where able to satisfy it's customers (see recent threads where more cash tables, sats etc were requested on a community thread and ADDED WITHIN HOURS)

the things i don't like are not the reason i started to play here. The TV channel, The Personalities such as Tikay, Rich, Ed Etc....... (originally the easy money although that has become harder to earn lol) these are the reasons i started and continue to play here.

What you get here is literally not available anywhere else and it would be a sad thing if this site became little more that a replicant of FT or stars.

Does it have it's faults? yeah it sure does but where doesn't? Name the site for me that offers everything to everyman and i'll see you on the tables there :)

Chris
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited April 2010
    I Love the televised tournaments, i wish we could have them 7 nights a week..... but let's not skip the fact that this is still THE ONLY PLACE you can do this 2 nights a week. As for the GTD, if enough people play it will be over the £3k mark, if enough don't then we can't expect Sky to pick up overlay on nights they know it will be quiet so they are quite right to reduce it. There have been a lot of posts about the value sky offer over the last few months (quite a few i've contributed on and not always in Skys favour) I've flip - flopped over the value of sky poker a number of times in my logn membership of the site. There are things i don't like . I often voice my opinion on things i'd like to change like PT3 compatability, Site Shop for Poker points etc etc but i eventually came to the conclusion i get good value for money here... Why? I like to feel important when i manage to get on the telly lol I like the feel of a real community, It's like Cheers (where every body knows your name) I like to feel invested in the site, this is MY site I have never, ever, ever ever ever had a site that acted so quickly where able to satisfy it's customers (see recent threads where more cash tables, sats etc were requested on a community thread and ADDED WITHIN HOURS) the things i don't like are not the reason i started to play here. The TV channel, The Personalities such as Tikay, Rich, Ed Etc....... (originally the easy money although that has become harder to earn lol) these are the reasons i started and continue to play here. What you get here is literally not available anywhere else and it would be a sad thing if this site became little more that a replicant of FT or stars. Does it have it's faults? yeah it sure does but where doesn't? Name the site for me that offers everything to everyman and i'll see you on the tables there :) Chris
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Excellent post Chris
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited April 2010
    im not bothered whether the open is broadcast or not it was just a suggestion as to why number of players is dropping.  obv number of players dropping leads sky to cut guaranteed prize.  does increasing the guarantee not increase the number of players? (radical thinking i know) or are sky giving up on the idea of increasing the amount of entrants? the big issue for me is that sky are cutting the guarantee and therefore making the tournament worth a lot less the site traffic is barely more now than it was 2 years ago and im surprised sky are making decisions that cannot ever help increase the amount of people playing therefore the amount of money they make.  the last british site i played on lowered all of their guarantees in a similar way to sky are doing and they ended up going under... many current players will know the site i mean
    Posted by huuuuume
    i totally agree,the 9pm open was the flagship event that got everyone talking about the sky tv channel,you could play and get a shout out for £10.
    i said at the time that the bh comps would take over the site but i dont know why we cant have a £10 open every night at 9pm alongside the other tourny's
  • Options
    HORRISHORRIS Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2010
    If enough people show up then the prize pool will still be 4K anyway. Its a guarantee, not a limit. Its in our own hands.
    Posted by luvBWFC
    I agree its up to the players. And the quickest way for a site to go under is to make guaranteed prize pools that you cant get numbers for. There was a 15k guarantee on sunday and im sure it didnt have enough runners to make up the pot, think it was about 50 short( not complaining:) ) wich at 30 quid is 1500 quid the site put in, they got 3 quid buy in from each of the 450 players wich is 1350, so add the cost of televising it and it must have been a big loss. I was wondering why there seems to be no advertising at the breaks when a tourney is on?? Surley that would help cover the costs of televising the events? Overall i think the site is in good shape, there seems to be more big money games coming up and sats at all prices to get into them.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited April 2010
    i wont be watching the CL cuz its not stoke ill be playing poker..3k still alot of money and like people say its just a gtd which will be reached comfortably.i dont even know if i,ve been on the tele apart from the tp programme cuz if im playing the missus has got the tv on(ghost hunters boring)which is every night which is fortunate for me really not so for the missus tho cuz shes watching the tele
  • Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2010

i work nights so only really get chance to play the main 8pm tourneys at the weekend (not this week im off all week- happy days!!) but as much as i love playin the primo on a sunday ive noticed that the saturday night open has been dropping over the past couple of weeks in its guaranteed prize pool (8k to 5k i believe) which is surprising as it ALWAYS gets loads of runners! couple of saturdays ago i finished 11th  and got a pitiful £46 not really worth the 3 or so hours i put in to be honest! any reason why the saturday open has dropped its prizepool?

• Options
    uber_rockuber_rock Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010

Surely the fact that there have been no sats for the open all day will affect numbers?
  • Options
    huuuuumehuuuuume Member Posts: 569
    edited April 2010
    the average social poker played is attracted to tournament poker.  basically the type of poker they see on tv.  sky really has to do something for those players to start playing on sky rather than the competition.  i understand all the arguments about the tv stuff and the overlay occassionally on guaranteed tournaments.  i just think its a massive shame that something that was so successful in getting people into playing on sky is going to slowly die a death just like the 8.15pm deepstack tournament did(used to be 80-90 players and £500 gtd, now is 15-25 players with £150 gtd).  its all well and good saying the interest from the players isnt there but you have to provide a tournament to be interested in.

people lose interest for a reason...simple
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited April 2010
    A truly excellent post by Aces.

Sky poker is a business. In any business, decisions are made based on return of investment, and Sky poker is no exception I'm sure. It would be nice if it was a charity for poker players but, like ALL other sites, it isn't and can't be. As Aces has pointed out, we are all members of a very unique club. What you get at Sky isn't on offer anywhere else. I play some of the biggest sites and for some of biggest prize-pools for online tournaments in the world. Where do I regard myself as at ''home'' ........ Sky Poker!

The guarantees for tournaments aren't plucked out of the air, they are set at a point the management feel they can sustain , profitably. The amount of coverage on TV may not be what we would all like but it's what can be sustained, profitably. The number of premier tournaments on any given day is what can be sustained, profitably. It has to be this way otherwise it would be loss-making and it would close down.

The one factor that determines all the above is the players, based on how many, and what they choose to play. Sky can only react to that. Sometimes Sky can attempt to promote but at the end of the day the players actions dictate what takes place.

As Aces has said, we get a lot from Sky Poker that isn't available anywhere else. How it progresses and grows is up to us. I personally think all aspects of the site are the bees-knees and long may it continue. All things will never suit everyone and we all like our little moans occasionally, but at the end of the day we are very very lucky and would be far worse off without it.
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2010

Looks like i am in the minority..but i prefer the smaller guarantees with the smaller fields as the variance is too big when playing with over 500 players.
    I love playing poker and play mostly everyday but i cant justify missing a football game as good as tonights,even my gf loved the 1st leg and she hates football lol.

• Options
    HORRISHORRIS Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2010
    Surely the fact that there have been no sats for the open all day will affect numbers?
    Posted by uber_rock
    There have been sats all day.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    I myself have come to 3 conclusions

1 shoot on site anyone who disrespects SKY POKER

2 shoot on site anyone not interested in 2nites BARCA v ARSENAL footy (sorry stokey but i do not see stoke v barca in the near future) lol

3 enjoy the poker here as it IS unlike anywhere else

dav
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited April 2010
    I myself have come to 3 conclusions 1 shoot on site anyone who disrespects SKY POKER 2 shoot on site anyone not interested in 2nites BARCA v ARSENAL footy (sorry stokey but i do not see stoke v barca in the near future) lol 3 enjoy the poker here as it IS unlike anywhere else dav
    Posted by dav1964
    bit harsh m8 lol,sorry but i lost intrest in the CL a few years back now ,i wish they would put the top 4 or five in a super league and let them get on with it..anyway people do what they want,stoke v barca rory would scare em to death
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K???????? : bit harsh m8 lol,sorry but i lost intrest in the CL a few years back now ,i wish they would put the top 4 or five in a super league and let them get on with it..anyway people do what they want,stoke v barca rory would scare em to death
    Posted by stokefc
    Nice one mate gl dav