You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V GROW? view a summary of the ideas so far in open page!

Comments

• Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW?:
    Hi Rover As I understand it, Sky Poker are in the process of setting on extra presenter(s), I would have thought imo that the presenters are safe and may even suggest something is in the pipeline, this is course just an observation :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    did you get the survey email baz ?
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited April 2010
    I agree with a few ideas.

Put it on free (first and foremost)

Show ordinary players playing low stake games and sit and goes.

Get more celeb poker fans on...like footballers or snooker players etc. Anyone famous who loves poker there must be loads, perhaps even run Pro/celeb tournis live for charity or something then you wont have to pay them appearance fees.

Better and slicker adverts on Sky sports and Sky Sports News.

Phone in competitions to win Sky merchandise.

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW?:
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : did you get the survey email baz ?
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Hi

No, but I wouldnt see why they woud set on extra presenters if they were going to get rid of some, unless someone has left ?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : Hi No, but I wouldnt see why they woud set on extra presenters if they were going to get rid of some, unless someone has left ?
    Posted by acebarry10
     your a topman baz and like me you have skypoker interests at heart !

i think baz if you saw the email you may think different .

one of the questions i recall was ,

would you still play on skypoker if there was no skypoker tv channel ?

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited April 2010
    Think they had same survey last time revamped site.Haven't seen new one yet last time lots of questions about poker channel and if you wanted download able games or stick with flash.
  • Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    I know from a message Tikay put up at one point that they cant do live analysis every night cause of cost to the company and us not getting all the benefits we would if they showed every show live and I can understand that and I have to agree with Phils post about putting it nearer the sports channels its been place with channels like live roulette and gambling sites and in a way I can see why cause of the nature of poker, but nowadays its getting counted more and more as something that has skill and like a sport where its shown on tele a lot more and mostly on Sky Sports so putting it closer to the sports channels and even still showing everything like they do currently would get some much more traffic to the T.V channel. 

One way they could improve the shows is by instead of doing a catch up day they could run like another non live cash show like cash unlimited, or tournament one to be honest doesnt really matter and just show a different program at different times during the days as repeats cause its like if you wanna watch Sky during the day its Primo Mon-Thur, Fri-Sat is the league and then MasterCash gets fitted inbetween the repeats every now and again so your constantly watching the same shows during the day its only the actual scheduled shows that run at 8pm that differ daily.

These are just my thoughts personally and I did get the survery and others I recall were;

Most important thing in the TV channel? That was silly cause all the aspects make the channel.

Do you watch the channel whilst playing on the site? 

It was very much based around the channel I just hope it stays cause its one of the main reasons I am at Sky the insights you get on your everyday poker play is not matched by watching any other Poker show or by watching poker tournaments. Watching pros play that have spent years mastering there personal style and making it work for them by knowing where the best times to play a certain move or how much to bet a certain pot after considering not only the image they have been portraying but also the image they have naturally so for someone who is still developing watching analysis thats on sky poker is a way to enjoy some poker and learn a way to play at the same time.

Spike2120
  • Options
    DarntootinDarntootin Member Posts: 1,515
    edited April 2010
    I dont undestand why the channel isn't free to air.

Years ago I got freesat (it was through Sky) and got an offer of free Sky for a couple of months.

I took the free trial up and one night by chance came accross the poker channel.

The presenters (particularly Sir Tony Kendall) brought the game to life and and imparted inofmation about the game in a way that was entertaining but incredibly educational.

My partner and myself were instantly hooked and watched it religiously over the next three weeks.

Then the trial came to an end but we were both already signed up and playing on the site.

My point is that we are only playing poker and playing poker on Sky because we were recruited by being exposed to the poker channel.

There must be many people who dont play the game but who after listening to Kendall & co's words of wisdom will think of giving the game a go and start playing on Sky Poker.

Surely nobody buys any of the Sky packages so they can get the Poker channel so it seems self defeating to restrict it to subscribers only.

Sky News is not blocked so why not Sky Poker as its surely the best advertisement there is for the site.

P.S. I agree with the idea of filling up non prime-time slots with footage from cash games (i'd even suggest stt's and final table mtt's too) without the need for any commentary instead of endless reruns of the main show.

Obviously players would need to know that playing these tables would mean their cards would be shown on telly but i reckon plenty would love it.

• Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    I dont undestand why the channel isn't free to air. Years ago I got freesat (it was through Sky) and got an offer of free Sky for a couple of months. I took the free trial up and one night by chance came accross the poker channel. The presenters (particularly Sir Tony Kendall) brought the game to life and and imparted inofmation about the game in a way that was entertaining but incredibly educational. My partner and myself were instantly hooked and watched it religiously over the next three weeks. Then the trial came to an end but we were both already signed up and playing on the site. My point is that we are only playing poker and playing poker on Sky because we were recruited by being  exposed to the poker channel. There must be many people who dont play the game but who after listening to Kendall & co's words of wisdom will think of giving the game a go and start playing on Sky Poker. Surely nobody buys any of the Sky packages so they can get the Poker channel so it seems self defeating to restrict it to subscribers only. Sky News is not blocked so why not Sky Poker as its surely the best advertisement there is for the site. P.S. I agree with the idea of filling up non prime-time slots with footage from cash games (i'd even suggest stt's and final table mtt's too) without the need for any commentary instead of endless reruns of the main show. Obviously players would need to know that playing these tables would mean their cards would be shown on telly but i reckon plenty would love it.  
    Posted by Darntootin
    I can understand your point about having it as a free show channel but this was mentioned a few months ago and was said it was no possible to do so, but there is also the internet stream off the site which is free, I know that the stream wont attract new players to sky as they have to stumble on the site to watch the shows, but its a free way to watch, the only one possible to the site at the moment. Also you have to admit that these days there are quite a lot of people who have Sky or cable, admittedly cable is not much good for those who have sky there is the possibility to stumble on it just a shame that its hard to stumble on where it is currently placed on channel 865.
  • Options
    Sky_ClaireSky_Claire Member Posts: 1,058
    edited April 2010
    Hi Rover As I understand it, Sky Poker are in the process of setting on extra presenter(s), I would have thought imo that the presenters are safe and may even suggest something is in the pipeline, this is course just an observation :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    Thought I would clear some of these rumours :) All the Presenters, even Tikay, are safe. If anything we are looking for somemore people. We would love to get a female analyst but they are hard to find and who are not sponsored.
  • Options
    irishraveririshraver Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : Thought I would clear some of these rumours :) All the Presenters, even Tikay, are safe. If anything we are looking for somemore people. We would love to get a female analyst but they are hard to find and who are not sponsored.
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    no probs .
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : Thought I would clear some of these rumours :) All the Presenters, even Tikay, are safe. If anything we are looking for somemore people. We would love to get a female analyst but they are hard to find and who are not sponsored.
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    i hope you pass on the feed back on here to the suits claire ,

ty
    !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : i hope you pass on the feed back on here to the suits claire , ty !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Of course I will the more ideas the better, so please keep sending them!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : Of course I will the more ideas the better, so please keep sending them!
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    ty claire !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    Hi Claire

In the words of the great tikay, I think I love you ;), and a more serious note, thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,690
    edited April 2010
    instead of showing repeats why not show pre-recorded live events like on channel 166,if you can,t get rights to some of the major tournaments why not show some events from around the UK,it might not be as glamorous but it would be intresting to see what playing live is all about just my thoughts like..
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : Hi Claire In the words of the great tikay, I think I love you ;), and a more serious note, thank you for the reply.
    Posted by acebarry10
    LOL now I have a smile on my face :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V GROW? view a summary of the ideas so far in open page!:
    instead of showing repeats why not show pre-recorded live events like on channel 166,if you can,t get rights to some of the major tournaments why not show some events from around the UK,it might not be as glamorous but it would be intresting to see what playing live is all about just my thoughts like..
    Posted by stokefc
    We have been looking into this for a while now, only a few problems surround this which are the cost of purchasing these shows and also they are normally heavily advertised by rival sites.... however this doesnt mean we are not going to do it.....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also so you are all aware there is a section where I am trying to get ideas on the channel. Go to the main forum page then 'The Sky Poker Channel' and 'You're ideas for the Sky Poker channel'. Please leave your ideas on there and I will try and get back to them asap.

In regards to some of your questions on here the channel is so high up the EPG because its falls under the category of 'gambling,' however we have a teleshopping licence, part of which is the thing you see scrolling across the bottom of
    your screens. We are hoping that now we have this licence we can push Sky Poker onto some other channels like we do on a Thursday night with Sky Sports.

This summer there will be more shows going on the schedule and you should see footage from the WSOP, WSOPE and the EPT London.

If you would like to come on the channel as a guest or would like to do a live phone in just PM me on here and I will get our Producers to give you a call.

During the live shows our Presenters do alot of give- aways including free entry into tournaments and merchandise. They also do this during their PTP sessions every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Just make sure during these evenings you find their forum posts and enter their competitions.

The channel can be viewed anywhere in the world through the website, and only the other day did we get an email from a viewer in New Mexico saying how he loved to watch online and how its improved his game!
     We also recently put a show on Sky Anytime…. I know this doesn’t help those who don’t have a Sky subscription but it helps with viewers and getting the channel 'out there'.  Live games- fingers crossed we could be doing this in the studio towards the end of the year (no promises). To rig, light and film a live game is an incredible expense, plus you have to purchase the table, dealers, more cameras etc, so we are just thinking about the best way to do it. This could include inviting celebs, sports personalities, home player and pro players into the studio. If you have been down to the studios you will understand its not the biggest space once you get all there people and kit in. I know its something we would all love to work on down at the studios! Right I am turning into Tikay so I will stop writing so much, but as I said earlier keep giving us your feedback!
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited April 2010
    Posted by Sky_Claire
     and 
    Why not do an Andrew lloyd webber / The 'P' Factor (poker/presenter) style show, and find a female analyst, who could be mentored by the pros and current presenters, and we could all vote on which one wins a female sky poker presenting job - simples and cheaper. There must be loadsa up and comming women players out there in need of a job and who arnt sponsored
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A SCARY SKYPOKER SURVEY / HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS TO HELP SKYPOKER T.V SURVIVE AND GROW? : LOL now I have a smile on my face :)
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    Chuckles