You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Can't multi-table - is it cos I is too old, like?

MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
I've been spending some time playing the lowest level limit games on SkyPoker trying to see if I can get the hang of multi-tabling in mini-view. I'm coming to the conclusion that I can't! I'm going to carry on trying to see if it gets easier with practice but I'm not overly hopeful. I can just about juggle two tables but I wasn't playing well on either.

It made me wonder why I was so inept at it.

I thought that maybe it is because of my style of play - I tend to like to see flops and "play down the streets" and maybe this requires more attention to each table than a multi-tabler can provide. Alternatively, it may just be that I'm too old and only youngsters can cope with it.

I saw one player playing 9 SkyPoker tables at the same stakes which I thought was very impressive. I've seen many "people" playing 16 tables on Full Tilt at low stakes. I draw no conclusions about the use of bots on Full tilt and to be honest it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I know that Hevad Khan has the ability to play very large numbers of tables and filmed himself playing 26 tables simultaneously!

Anyway, I just wondered, "multi-tabling - is it just for the kidz?".

I'd be interested to hear from people who multi-table on SkyPoker - how many tables can you manage and how long a session do you play?

Comments

• JAMIEPJAMIEP Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Can't multi-table - is it cos I is too old, like?:
    I've been spending some time playing the lowest level limit games on SkyPoker trying to see if I can get the hang of multi-tabling in mini-view. I'm coming to the conclusion that I can't! I'm going to carry on trying to see if it gets easier with practice but I'm not overly hopeful. I can just about juggle two tables but I wasn't playing well on either. It made me wonder why I was so inept at it. I thought that maybe it is because of my style of play - I tend to like to see flops and "play down the streets" and maybe this requires more attention to each table than a multi-tabler can provide. Alternatively, it may just be that I'm too old and only youngsters can cope with it. I saw one player playing 9 SkyPoker tables at the same stakes which I thought was very impressive. I've seen many "people" playing 16 tables on Full Tilt at low stakes. I draw no conclusions about the use of bots on Full tilt and to be honest it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I know that Hevad Khan has the ability to play very large numbers of tables and filmed himself playing 26 tables simultaneously! Anyway, I just wondered, "multi-tabling - is it just for the kidz?". I'd be interested to hear from people who multi-table on SkyPoker - how many tables can you manage and how long a session do you play?
    Posted by MereNovice
    I remember a few years back on different site when they first introduced this i struggled to play 2.Because i wasn't used to it but after a few hours it became natural and over time i added 1 at a time and can now play upto 5, but mainly play 4 tables usually for 2-3 hour stints with a 5 min break inbetween to give the old brain a restbite lol.The more you play the more robot abc poker is required rather than trying to out play your opponents. 

Few tips mere

1.Turn the tv off you need 100% concentartion don't want to be timed out when your dealt aa;-) 
    2.Keep chat in chat box to a absolute minimum. 
    3.Turn off facebook/msn etc etc.

• daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2009
    Multi-tabling is certainley something which comes in time, don't try too much at the start and persist with two tables for a while before you step up to three. Your trouble regarding "playing down the streets" shouldn't really be an issue after a while with up to four tables.

The problem comes when people try to be clever with 10-20 tables open, I don't see how that can be profitable without a rigid system and range which takes the fun out of poker.

Personally I multi-table £2.20 scarys for three hours with four tables but I can only really do this when i'm wide awake and alone in the house (no distractions).

It's something where the novelty wears off after a while and unless you're playing poker purely for profit then i'd be weary of multi-tabling because it isolates table banter and can be very costly as well as profitable.

Keep at it though mate, it just takes a while for your head to get used to it. SkyPoker's mini-view isn't too great either TBF, i'd take encouragement from the downloadable client due out.

• RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    An interesting topic.

I'm just a fun player but have tried multitabling with no real success. I believe that to multi table succesfully you definately need to be running good poker software ie poker tracker 3 or holdem manager ( which i don't think work with this client ).

You need greater concentration/stamina to muti table as well which i haven't got.

I find the game much more enjoyable the less tables i play as its so much more fun ( for me anyway ) to play down the streets and to have your hunches proved right.

As its a game of making correct decisions it stands to reason the less tables you play the more you absorb to help make those decisions.

• OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited August 2009
    I used to play 12-16 tables on ipoker, or boss media networks, but they were 10 handed tables. It`s a bit annoying with sky coz my set up/browser or whatever will not allow me to play more than 5 tables.  I even bought myself a 24" monitor so that I could fit 8-9 miniview tables on before I realised I couldnt.

Going from 12+ tables on other networks to 5 tables on sky isnt too bad as the tables are 6 handed, and thinking time is short so ur still getting a decent amount of hands/hr.

Too be honest, any less than 5 tables would bore me and I am looking forward to this downloadable client we keep getting promised as I think this would allow me to play more tables.

I am 33 so I`m no kid, but I imagine the ability to multitable successfully as you get older would depreciate.

I am not sure if it was hevad or someone else, but recently they filmed themselves playing over 50 tables, and these were STT`s, amzing. And he finished in profit lol
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    I can multi-table upto 16 tables on other sites.

6 is my max on Sky as the 'time bank' is shorter and I got times out, however I feel that I play my 'optimum game' with 4.

If I'm playing 1/2 then I get bored and get fancy play syndrome which is a huge leak.

When I'm playing 4 I don't use mini-view as I can tile the tables easily on my monitor.

My tip for multi-tabling is to try it with 10-man tables first, these give you slightly longer between hands so help when gaining experience.

Even try it out on the play money tables, as multi-tabling is all about getting into a rythym and also trying to get your thought process down into a snap decision.

However it isn't for everyone and if a large part of your game is being able to read the game flow then it could be best to stick with 2.

I'm 22 btw.
    edited August 2009
    One more thing Mere is that when I've played with you, you seem to be fairly tight, I def. see a lot more flops than you and manage 4 so can't see why you can't at least play 2 comfortably!
    edited August 2009
    Scotty, what size monitor do you have to tile 4 full size tables? I thought mine was big but dont think it would fit 4, is there any overlap?
  • silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited August 2009
    i can only manage 2 tables myself. Tried it with 3 a couple of times but couldn't manage it
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited August 2009
    hope someone can help me . i have tried and failed to multi table . when i do it ,the tables pop up one after the other,which i thought would be good .what happens however is that they switch and i land up trying to fold 93 on one and land up folding aa on the other.that has actually happened ! i have tried the mini view and its the same in small.just cant move the mini view tables. as im still learning the game im not to bothered but if im running bad in one ,it would be nice to open another. gratefull for any tips.
    edited August 2009
    Pillowman, if you left click on the top of the table screen you can drag it to wherever you want on the screen
    edited August 2009
    thanks m8 ,forgot to add that im a novice with computers ,will give it a go on the free tables.thankyou.
    edited August 2009
    You're welcome mate. Forgot to add that you need to click and hold down the left mouse button in order to drag (just in case you thought to click it once)
  • MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Can't multi-table - is it cos I is too old, like?:
    One more thing Mere is that when I've played with you, you seem to be fairly tight, I def. see a lot more flops than you and manage 4 so can't see why you can't at least play 2 comfortably!
    Posted by scotty77
    True, but to be fair scotty, you probably consider Sammy "Any Two" George a bit tight. ;-)

But seriously folks, thanks for all the information - all good stuff.
  • scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited August 2009
    am  haveing  a  problem playing  multi  tables  can   only  grt  one  table  on   try  an  other  one    it  goes   dow  n on  my  address  bar     how    do    i  get  them   at the  side  of   each  other  never  had  problems  on  other  site
    edited August 2009
    am  haveing  a  problem playing  multi  tables  can   only  grt  one  table  on   try  an  other  one    it  goes   dow  n on  my  address  bar     how    do    i  get  them   at the  side  of   each  other  never  had  problems  on  other  site
    Posted by scrumdown
    Hi Scrumdown, see my post in reply to Pillowman above
    edited August 2009
    Scotty, what size monitor do you have to tile 4 full size tables? I thought mine was big but dont think it would fit 4, is there any overlap?
    Posted by OMahonyO
    There is some overlap, yes, however I position them so that I can see the max amount of important info as I can....I'll post a screenshot in a min.  This is a 17in laptop monitor.
    hope someone can help me . i have tried and failed to multi table . when i do it ,the tables pop up one after the other,which i thought would be good .what happens however is that they switch and i land up trying to fold 93 on one and land up folding aa on the other.that has actually happened ! i have tried the mini view and its the same in small.just cant move the mini view tables. as im still learning the game im not to bothered but if im running bad in one ,it would be nice to open another. gratefull for any tips.
    I think this is an issue with the browser software you are running.  I had this issue with internet explorer sometimes. Try Firefox, and like Silentbob says if you drag the table to another area of your screen this may help too.
    True, but to be fair scotty, you probably consider Sammy "Any Two" George a bit tight. ;-)
    A couple of years ago at a home game I agreed to play for a the first 3 levels of a SnG while only being dealt one card.  Still came second in the thing :D

As an aside I hear he's playing Durrrr, after calling Durrr 'nothing special'...think its gonna be on the million dollar cash game that films in September at 50 St James in London...
    edited August 2009
    im back ,lol . and succeded..... i can now have 2 tables on mini view  or 1 on mini view and another on full with the chat facility , thanks again ,,,, i need to lye down now , when i have regained my strenght i will try to get 2 with chat,not that i could cope with all that at once.
  • scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited August 2009
    thanks  guys  try  it  out
    edited August 2009
    thanks scotty , i was on firefox before , a few weeks back i downloaded the new version and since then cant log on to skypoker anymore. im now on in,expl.8.
    edited August 2009
    I just remembered something funny that happened to me a while ago.  I was multitabling a lot of tables on another site, a mixture of MTT`s and cash, and I`d been drinking loads of beer.  I got knocked out of a big tourney after going deep. A box flashed up and said `Congratulations, you have finished 8th and won ££££ (cant remember how much).  I didnt even realise I was on the final table.  So, yes concentration is important multitabling.