You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

definition of slow-rolling?

BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
i was watching one of the deepies the other night and in the chat box there was talk about slow-rolling.  I got the impression this was being frowned upon and wondered exactly what it was. Is it a legitimate strategy of using your time to try and give other players a certain perception of your holding or is this simply poor etiquette because you have a straight forward all in call yet let the clock run down for no reason?

Comments

• scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    Slow rolling is when there is no other players to act, and you hvae to call an all in with a nut (or near nut) hand.

If there is possibility to win more from your opponent(s) then its fine to use your time however you feel best.

Had someone slow roll me last night, called massive bets on turn for a gutshot and hit.  Shows the real character of the person.
  • BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited August 2009
    thanks scotty.

just to clarify, in your example someone slowrolled you with a gut shot.  Does that mean they were getting the right odds to call all in but took forever to make the call for no reason?
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    No I said it wrong.  They called a massive bet, and they hit their card.  They check, I put them AI and then they slowrolled...let the timer go right down before calling with the nuts.

Thankfully tho they're a busto fish who never buys in for full so not that much of a problem.
  • silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited August 2009
    Personally I hate slow rollers. There's no need for it.

Had it happen to me a couple of weeks back in a DYM. 4 of us left & I was the short stack so shoved with pocket 8's. Folded round to the big blind who let their timer run all the way down before calling & showing AA. Why do it? If i'm behind/lost the hand then so be it but it's something that really annoys me
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling?:
    No I said it wrong.  They called a massive bet, and they hit their card.  They check, I put them AI and then they slowrolled...let the timer go right down before calling with the nuts. Thankfully tho they're a busto fish who never buys in for full so not that much of a problem.
    Posted by scotty77[/QUOTE

BIT BITTER SCOTTY... WASNT MICKJENN BY ANY CHANCE WAS IT!!!! MMMM
  • DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    Slow rolling online doesn't exist imo since it only occurs at showdown, and gives player A the idea that they won the pot because player B isn't showing their cards (as if to much them), and then player B shows them to deal an often devastating psychological blow.

Doesn't happen online, because you insta-show your cards.

Its worse in live when some clever guy says "I've got two pair" when you've hit your full house at showdown, only to show quads.
  • daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2009
    Admit to doing it once or twice when the chat box has got a bit nasty. Rarely do it but can't help it sometimes.

Wouldn't do it live because i'd get a slap but it's easy behind a computer screen. Just being honest and don't pretend you haven't done anything similar ! :D

• DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    Slow rolling is NOT taking your time over a hand (although that does annoy me when it is an obvious fold).

It is basically knowing you have the nuts, then using up your time instead of just calling/shoving.

However that is not the same as using your time to induce a bet, making your opponent think your weak or undecided in order to call your huge hand.

As an example in last nights deepie I has AA. The guy before me raied 4x the BB . I was in BB he was SB. Now of course I want him to go all in. So instead of just shoving I wait a little....as if thinking about it...so now i flat call. He goes all in...I then INSTA CALL.

If however I had let the timer run down a long way ...then I really AM slow rolling.

edited August 2009
    IMO it's the actions of an idiot to slow roll pre flop as you've never got the nuts! And if you get beat on the community your screwed!
  • DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    IMO it's the actions of an idiot to slow roll pre flop as you've never got the nuts! And if you get beat on the community your screwed!
    Posted by daveydavey
    If you examine what I said, either I am an idiot or you just lost your stack.
    edited August 2009
    i think deadluck is correct in that in the strictest sense, slow rolling seems to be once the action has concluded and it is a case of showing your hands at showdown.  online, this is instant therefore it technically doesnt happen.

However, there are also occasions when players have the nuts yet run the clock down before calling at showdown, and while this isnt technically slow rolling, it is certainly poor etiquette and i suppose it is generally classed as slow-rolling.
  • hogan2089hogan2089 Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2009
    In Response to definition of slow-rolling?:
    i was watching one of the deepies the other night and in the chat box there was talk about slow-rolling.  I got the impression this was being frowned upon and wondered exactly what it was. Is it a legitimate strategy of using your time to try and give other players a certain perception of your holding or is this simply poor etiquette because you have a straight forward all in call yet let the clock run down for no reason?
    Posted by Buistyboy
    owroll - To wait until the last possible moment to show the winning hand, in an effort to get your opponent to believe he has won the pot when he has not.

Generally, when someone has a strong hand at showdown, they are eager to turn it over and collect the pot. This means that when a player shows a strong hand, and does not see anyone immediately produce anything better, he will justifiably assume that he has won the pot. This can open the door to mischief. In an attempt to get under their opponents skin, a player may wait to show the winning hand until after their opponent has shown and expects to win the pot. This is called a slow roll, and it is considered an extremely rude thing to do. It bothers some players a lot. Which is precisely the goal of the player who slowrolls. Slowrolling is often a response to, or a trigger for, all out psychological war between players.

Despite the discourteous nature of slowrolling, it is not generally prohibited by house rules. If it is prohibited, there is rarely a penalty associated with it. One reason for this is that a slowroll, by its very nature, is subjective. Did a player wait an additional two seconds before showing his hand to dig at another player, or not? Was a player slow rolling, or simply waiting to ensure that it was his turn to turn his hand over? Did the pot get pushed before all hands were exposed, and is that the dealers fault? If a slowroll clearly occurred, should a penalty be imposed, and what would be considered fair? These questions can be nearly impossible to answer objectively. So, a slow roll is just treated as rude behavior and may at most elicit a condemnation from the dealer or floor staff.

Slowroll is not the same as slow play

Copied from an online poker term dictionary...
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling? : If you examine what I said, either I am an idiot or you just lost your stack.
    Posted by Draig
    I don't need to examine what you have said, I know you didn't slow roll pre-flop and I still think doing it is idiotic.

I don't know how that makes me an idiot or suggests I have lost my stack (in what game!?)
    edited August 2009
    thanks hogan for the definitive answer.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited August 2009

I saw THE ugliest Slow-Roll in a Deepie a few nights ago.

Man with about 5,000 chips moves all-in. (He had AK).

The Big Blind types in the Chat-Box......

"Hmmmmmm........"

Then he let the clock/slider bar run down to the very last second.

THEN he called.

With Aces.

Karma will ensure that next time he does that, he'll not clink "just in time" & his hand will be Passed.

I really struggle to grasp why people would do such a thing.

That sort of thing is as ugly as it gets.

Sick, sick stuff.
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    I saw THE ugliest Slow-Roll in a Deepie a few nights ago. Man with about 5,000 chips moves all-in. (He had AK). The Big Blind types in the Chat-Box...... "Hmmmmmm........" Then he let the clock/slider bar run down to the very last second. THEN he called. With Aces. Karma will ensure that next time he does that, he'll not clink "just in time" & his hand will be Passed. I really struggle to grasp why people would do such a thing. That sort of thing is as ugly as it gets. Sick, sick stuff.
    Posted by Tikay10
       hi tikay-- i agree--that was a sickener alright--i was sitting there watching that slider--heart was pumping---my last chance to make it to the cash--just as the relief began to calm me-thinking he would fold ---slider actually dissapeared at the bottom of the gauge before he called-- combined with the "hmmmm" in the chat box i thought that was the nastiest play i have ever seen on any poker site, ever--cant remember who the player was ---i dont want to look at my hand history to find out because i would go on mad tilt with that one next time---i vertually poked him in the eye---lol---if you were not there i may well have been chat banned by now--do you think he should be named and shamed?
  • 1realdeal1realdeal Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2009
    this site is f ucking fixed
    edited August 2009
    hi tikay and oy nutter.

I'm pretty sure the hand you are referring to was the one i seen discussed in the deepie the other night.  I wasnt playing but had a bit of a look to try and learn a bit.

I didnt see the hand but it was the chat afterwards that compelled me to query what exactly a slow-roll was.  I wanted to make sure it was something i wasnt doing at the table.

i have to say that i have great sympathy for you nutter for the way you were treated in that situation.  To write hmmm in the chat box and let the time run down shows a real lack of class.  Tikay sums it up perfectly, simply ugly. 
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    hi tikay and oy nutter. I'm pretty sure the hand you are referring to was the one i seen discussed in the deepie the other night.  I wasnt playing but had a bit of a look to try and learn a bit. I didnt see the hand but it was the chat afterwards that compelled me to query what exactly a slow-roll was.  I wanted to make sure it was something i wasnt doing at the table. i have to say that i have great sympathy for you nutter for the way you were treated in that situation.  To write hmmm in the chat box and let the time run down shows a real lack of class.  Tikay sums it up perfectly, simply ugly. 
    Posted by Buistyboy
    hi buisty--dont worry-- i am sure you wouldnt do it at the tables---a pair of aces against one opponent is obviously an instant call---anyone that types hmmmm in the chat box and lets the time run out completely before calling is a nasty,distgusting  piece of work (for want of an illegal expletive)--tikay was being extremely polite i can assure you--"ugly" is only one word for him---every other word suitable for his description is not allowed on this forum------

anyway--welcome to sky--its a great site!--with some really good tourneys--the deep stacks are definately the best place to learn---start by playing solid on the 2.20 buy ins----work up to 5.50s and then 10 seaters---also rest assured that the vast majority of players here are good people that are willing and even eager to help and advise on any poker related question --good luck at the tables--you know what not do ----lol--thats a good start--gl again
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    I saw THE ugliest Slow-Roll in a Deepie a few nights ago. Man with about 5,000 chips moves all-in. (He had AK). The Big Blind types in the Chat-Box...... "Hmmmmmm........" Then he let the clock/slider bar run down to the very last second. THEN he called. With Aces. Karma will ensure that next time he does that, he'll not clink "just in time" & his hand will be Passed. I really struggle to grasp why people would do such a thing. That sort of thing is as ugly as it gets. Sick, sick stuff.
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

If this happened live there'd be a lynching