You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

definition of slow-rolling?

2»

Comments

• dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2009
    I have heard it said so many times - you pay your money, you play your game. Its not illegal and its all part of the psychology of the game so I really don't see why people have such an issue with it.

There are legitimate reasons why someone might want to have a think about a decision even with AA preflop and, ultimately, with only 15 seconds to decide its not as though they are keeping you waiting forever!
  • BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited August 2009
    The problem in the above example is that the player wasnt using the time to seriously consider playing their hand or not, they were busy typing hymmmmmmmm in the chat box. Sure, it isnt illegal, but when its almost certainly going to knock out an opponent, there really isnt any need or value in slow-rolling so why do it?
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling?:
    The problem in the above example is that the player wasnt using the time to seriously consider playing their hand or not, they were busy typing hymmmmmmmm in the chat box. Sure, it isnt illegal, but when its almost certainly going to knock out an opponent, there really isnt any need or value in slow-rolling so why do it?
    Posted by Buistyboy
    Because it winds players up and has a psychological impact on some which gives the perpetrator a potential edge over them and poker is all about gaining that extra 1% over your opponent - its the same as Mike Matisou (sp?) does, he gobs off to wind players up and it gives him an edge in many cases and that tiny edge might be all you need to get the better of an opponent.
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling? : Because it winds players up and has a psychological impact on some which gives the perpetrator a potential edge over them and poker is all about gaining that extra 1% over your opponent - its the same as Mike Matisou (sp?) does, he gobs off to wind players up and it gives him an edge in many cases and that tiny edge might be all you need to get the better of an opponent.
    Posted by dowzer
      he had aces dowzer--everyone else had folded--how can it be the same as gobbing off to wind players up--dur---you sound rather silly in your analasis---to say the least
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling? :   he had aces dowzer--everyone else had folded--how can it be the same as gobbing off to wind players up-- dur ---you sound rather silly in your analasis---to say the least
    Posted by oynutter
    +1
    edited August 2009
    When the clock is counting down I would be thinking in my head that maybe he is on a mid pair or a smaller ace like AQ or even AJ and I would think great 50/50 at worst. Then he turns over AA and you get mad, can't believe he has taken so long to decide with pocket aces. A lot of people will react - they will say something.

All of this gives a psychological edge to the slow roller especially if neither player is knocked out by the hand. I have seen people playing live take up to a few minutes to call with the nuts. In one example the guy took a few minutes and called and when he showed his hand (straight flush against nut flush) his opponent (who wasn't knocked out) went on tilt and made some stupid plays the next few hands and ending up going out on crazy plays just to try and get the guy back. Its all about the reaction which is the same REASON why Matisou gobs off.

Way too many people underestimate the power of getting inside someones head in Poker - its not just all about good cards, good reads and getting lucky.

Either way you have your opinion, I have mine - the difference being I will RESPECT yours. I pay my money so its up to me how I play my game and as long as its within the rules then I dont see why people should whine about it.
  • BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited August 2009
    Dowzer, I for one respect your opinion, even if i do no not go along with it. 

Your arguement for getting in the head of opponents is absolutely valid.  However, looking at the specific case above, it is not relevant.  With pocket aces, almost always he knocks the other player out and therefore gains no "psychological" advantage over an eliminated player.  On the few occasions the pocket aces are cracked, the other player will be absolutely elated at a tidy double up and be right in the tourney.  The slow-roll will be of little concern.  On the other hand, the slow-roller having lost a load of chips is the one likely to lose his/her edge.

You can argue the value of slow-rolling in some situations, though it's not for me, but for me in the above example with oy nutter it was poor and had no value.

Ray
    edited September 2009
    well said buistyboy--easy to see the vast difference between you two players--dowzer has a point--be as nasty as possible and annoy the other players at the table--great strategy dowzer--thanks for letting us know what kind of player you are
  • KevilfishKevilfish Member Posts: 354
    edited September 2009
    I understand how players do get annoyed at slow-rollers, when you move in with pocket Queens, you want to know if you're ahead, behind or racing so when a guy lets the ticker run down you have to assume he has a middle pair, AQ, AJ downwards, there is a part of you that feels relieved in a way when he's not made an instant decision but then if he calls right at the last second and you realise you are a 20% underdog, this is slightly frustrating.

I see the point if the slowroller is a short stack and there has been a bit of handbags with the player setting him all in, it would be a bit like the kid getting bullied fighting back, you'd probably get a few "ell oh ell's" in the chatbox, I wouldn't mind it in this sort of case, but in the above example, it's not nice, you wouldn't like it if it was done to you, so don't you be the one doing it to others.

In the only time I have ever SR'd, it was right on the money bubble, the SB had set me all in, I had Kings, I let the ticker run down BUT, I had typed in the chatbox, "I call". IMO, this is acceptable, you aren't slowrolling to annoy the other player, you are doing it because you're hoping if you do lose the hand, someone else has went out at another table and you sneak into the cash.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited September 2009

In the case I cited, when OyNutter had AK, there was no "psychological advantage" to be gained, nor "wind-up" Value, because..... 

The Player with A-A outchipped the Player with A-K, & thus it was exit time for A-K man.

I fail to see why one would wish to wind up a player who's just been bust, or gain psychological advantage over a player who is no longer in the game. To deliberately humiliate a Busted Player can only be the act of someone who has issues.

It's traitional in all games, even the most physically brutal, such as Boxing or Rugby Union, to shake hands & say "welll done, enjoyed that" once it's over. In poker, tradition is usually "gg," or somesuch.

In the case quoted, the Slow-Roller qained no psychological advantage at all - quite the opposite. He lost the respect of his fellow Players. 

• Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    In the case I cited, when OyNutter had AK, there was no "psychological advantage" to be gained, nor "wind-up" Value, because.....  The Player with A-A outchipped the Player with A-K, & thus it was exit time for A-K man. I fail to see why one would wish to wind up a player who's just been bust, or gain psychological advantage over a player who is no longer in the game. To deliberately humiliate a Busted Player can only be the act of someone who has issues. It's traitional in all games, even the most physically brutal, such as Boxing or Rugby Union, to shake hands & say "welll done, enjoyed that" once it's over. In poker, tradition is usually "gg," or somesuch.   In the case quoted, the Slow-Roller qained no psychological advantage at all - quite the opposite. He lost the respect of his fellow Players. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    And respect, unlike entry fees / winnings at poker is priceless.
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: definition of slow-rolling? : And respect, unlike entry fees / winnings at poker is priceless.
    Posted by Grimstar30
    This.

Bottom line is if you wish to lose friends and gain enemy's at a poker table then slowroll away.

Also the phychological line taken my some is nonsense also as slowrolling is likely to lead to a quicker demise as people will be irrate therefore more likely to gun for you.

Sit quietly,chat nicely,make friends and win money SIMPLES.
  • GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2009
    Hi,

I was the victim of a suspected slowroll last night in the 22 deepie. Someone spent a lifetime calling with the nuts on the turn! There was no explanation or apology, and there was also other general chat that wasnt pleasent from this player. However, i think i managed to patch things up and move on, and i hope that this player joins us again in the 22 deepie and learns from this experience. I have every faith they will cos we were having a good chat at the end.

Greg.
    edited September 2009
    i completely fail to see how slowrolling a player in this or almost any situation can help to gain any kind of advantage-- psychcological or otherwise---in the case where tikay was slowrolled (a few days ago)-- the offender was busy writing "ul-lol" in the chat box!!--and that was his excuse for the slow call?
    imo there can be no advantage gained by announcing to the whole table that you are stupid enough to think this kind of play is funny!!