You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark!

Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat

Hello all,

2 home players, emails, strategy questions answered, biggest cash pots of the week and of course the top play from our £9,000 GTD tournament.

Any questions / disagreement with analysis / good luck messages /  or even stories that you would like to share, please post away! Or email us at skyopen@bskyb.com!

Have fun on the baize!

Axx

Comments

• RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    Would like to hear and expect lots of references to the mighty spurs this evening Mr Banin.

Ossie's going to Wembley his knees have gone all trembly come on you spurs! come on you spurs!

Surely the best cup final song ever.

Did you also like my goal in the 81 cup final replay?
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark!:
    Would like to hear and expect lots of references to the mighty spurs this evening Mr Banin. Ossie's going to Wembley his knees have gone all trembly come on you spurs! come on you spurs! Surely the best cup final song ever.
    Posted by RickyVilla
    You'll probably remember this from your younger days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXdlxZ5RiM&feature=related

Don't suppose there's much chance of old '4 screens' Mark doing a live rendition? ;-)

• RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    remember it? i was in it!
  • mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark!:
    Hello all, 2 home players, emails, strategy questions answered, biggest cash pots of the week and of course the top play from our £9,000 GTD tournament. Any questions / disagreement with analysis / good luck messages /  or even stories that you would like to share, please post away! Or email us at skyopen@bskyb.com ! Have fun on the baize! Axx
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Hi
    Not sure im going to enter any comps today, after last nights arbitration by Rich and Tony.
    In the past both Phil12uk and myself have given book prizes back to someone else.
    Last night Phil was drawn out first, then i was drawn out next two, but because we had previously won book prizes it went to Tracey(dingdell).
    On my part if the book was one i had already got in my library, then i would request that it was given to another player.
    Last nights prise was one i have not got and would have helped me.
    THIS NOT A PLEA TO GET THE BOOK AS I WAS NOT FIRST OUT THE HAT, but in my opinion if it is deemed that i wont get a book because ive won one before, then in future if my posts or emails are read out on air DONT put them in the hat, that way i wont be disappointed.

col
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Hi Not sure im going to enter any comps today, after last nights arbitration by Rich and Tony. In the past both Phil12uk and myself have given book prizes back to someone else. Last night Phil was drawn out first, then i was drawn out next two, but because we had previously won book prizes it went to Tracey(dingdell). On my part if the book was one i had already got in my library, then i would request that it was given to another player. Last nights prise was one i have not got and would have helped me. THIS NOT A PLEA TO GET THE BOOK AS I WAS NOT FIRST OUT THE HAT, but in my opinion if it is deemed that i wont get a book because ive won one before, then in future if my posts or emails are read out on air DONT put them in the hat, that way i wont be disappointed. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Please dont air this, as i would hate to think that you believe im just whinging as im not.
    My point is if you have an open draw then by the fact that the same people send items in all the time, then they will win more often and as i said Phil12uk was first out of the hat. 

col
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited August 2009
    Hi DP, Mark

I would just like to wish DP good luck on his very first Play the Presenter, will try to rail you, is Mark going to do one so I can beat his 78 off :)

Cheers
  • Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Please dont air this, as i would hate to think that you believe im just whinging as im not. My point is if you have an open draw then by the fact that the same people send items in all the time, then they will win more often and as i said Phil12uk was first out of the hat.  col
    Posted by mr_mbro

Hi Col,

I'll pass this on to Andy and i'm sure he will try and rectify the situation. This will not be read out this evening, so please don't worry.

However, Mark is on form tonight - so if you have a poker question or  strat query- we'd love to have it!

A xx
  • JAYLUFC92JAYLUFC92 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    Just got knocked out in the open, it was a four handed all in! I had pocket kings in the small blind, big blind had pocket kings, vs Ace Jack vs pocket 9's!! Ace Jack hit trip Ace's and that was that!
  • RICHORFORDRICHORFORD Member Posts: 5,571
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Hi Not sure im going to enter any comps today, after last nights arbitration by Rich and Tony. In the past both Phil12uk and myself have given book prizes back to someone else. Last night Phil was drawn out first, then i was drawn out next two, but because we had previously won book prizes it went to Tracey(dingdell). On my part if the book was one i had already got in my library, then i would request that it was given to another player. Last nights prise was one i have not got and would have helped me. THIS NOT A PLEA TO GET THE BOOK AS I WAS NOT FIRST OUT THE HAT, but in my opinion if it is deemed that i wont get a book because ive won one before, then in future if my posts or emails are read out on air DONT put them in the hat, that way i wont be disappointed. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

Hi Col,

Yeah sorry mate. This is my fault. Live show and all that.

With a final table beckoning we had to do the draw nice and briskly. When Phil came out the hat- I knew he'd won before and, like your good self, after he won his first book he’d immediately donated it back to the community.

So I cut out the middle man, I redrew on behalf of the rest of the emailers, and explained to the viewers my reasons for doing so. 'Unfortunately' your name was next out, so I couldn’t very well give it to you when I'd denied Phil for having won it before.

So, having painted myself into a corner, I decided to keep redrawing until I drew someone who had never won a book before. 

I can see how you might think that was unfair in the cold light of day. Although in my defence, I was trying to be fair to everyone at the time.

Obviously what we want to avoid is the same 3 or 4 people winning all our prizes- so that other viewers who write in think that it’s a closed shop, or there’s favouritism going on, or somehow the competition is rigged.

On the other hand, we don't want to discourage our most loyal viewers from writing to the show as we rely on you guys and are very grateful for your contributions.

I’m therefore going to ask for some clear guidance on this from the producers as to the best way forward on how to deal with these competitions.

Please don’t let it stop you for contributing to the show though- I really appreciate your messages!

• Sky_AndySky_Andy Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2009

Hi all,

In addition to Richard's comments, I would like to let the community know that I will be dealing with issues around competition prizes today and through the week. Thanks for your concern and we will have clearer guidelines mapped out in due course.

Thanks

Andy

• phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited September 2009
    Hi all.  I never saw the end of the show so reading this thread is the first I found out that I won :)  I don't mind you giving it back to the community because , as Rich said, I have already donated 1 prize. Could it possibly be that book winners get a 7pm deepstack tourney entry / or another tourney entry instead?  Perhaps on emails etc to the show we could make a note at the bottom saying book or tourney entry?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited September 2009

Col, (Mr Mbro),

Yes, with hindsight, that was not ideal. I blame Rich. ;)

It won't happen again, & it was not intended to be unfair, but it was. I blame Rich.

I'll make sure you get some form of compensation via an extra prize - I have some books at home, & I'll bring one along for when I next see you. I blame Rich, actually.

As Rich (who I blame) said, these are the perils of Live TV, you say something "on the hoof" & that's it, you are stuck with it. I blame Rich.

The other thing is that it's important that the on-screen pairings - in this case Rich & I - stick together when things go wrong. This was a bit of a boo-boo, & Rich & I share the blame jointly. That's 80% him, & 30% me.

I blame Rich.

Seriously, I am truly sorry. We messed up.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Hi Col, Yeah sorry mate. This is my fault. Live show and all that.   With a final table beckoning we had to do the draw nice and briskly. When Phil came out the hat- I knew he'd won before and, like your good self, after he won his first book he’d immediately donated it back to the community.   So I cut out the middle man, I redrew on behalf of the rest of the emailers, and explained to the viewers my reasons for doing so. 'Unfortunately' your name was next out, so I couldn’t very well give it to you when I'd denied Phil for having won it before.   So, having painted myself into a corner, I decided to keep redrawing until I drew someone who had never won a book before.  I can see how you might think that was unfair in the cold light of day. Although in my defence, I was trying to be fair to everyone at the time. Obviously what we want to avoid is the same 3 or 4 people winning all our prizes- so that other viewers who write in think that it’s a closed shop, or there’s favouritism going on, or somehow the competition is rigged.   On the other hand, we don't want to discourage our most loyal viewers from writing to the show as we rely on you guys and are very grateful for your contributions.   I’m therefore going to ask for some clear guidance on this from the producers as to the best way forward on how to deal with these competitions.   Please don’t let it stop you for contributing to the show though- I really appreciate your messages!
    Posted by RichOrford
    Hi Rich,
    I was not having a go at you mate or questioning you honesty. As i said in my post it was a book i didnt have, but if it was i would have requested it to go to another player. As Phil was out first this wasn't a problem to me(and probably most of the other players).
    I fully understand your reasons for doing it and as Tony said on the programme, if that is the thinking then, i will give my full backing to any decisions made by Sky or yourselves.
    Here's a thought. What if the same person out was a new player who had posted on two days and won they might not think it was fair.
    In the end, i was only trying to raise a point and hopefully that has happened, without you getting a kicking off the suits, as that was never my intention.
    I will back you personally to the hilt Rich every day of the week.
     keep up the good work and it was good of you, if not needed, to reply in person.

col
  • inka2003inka2003 Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2009
    Col, (Mr Mbro), Yes, with hindsight, that was not ideal. I blame Rich. ;) It won't happen again, & it was not intended to be unfair, but it was. I blame Rich. I'll make sure you get some form of compensation via an extra prize - I have some books at home, & I'll bring one along for when I next see you. I blame Rich, actually. As Rich (who I blame) said, these are the perils of Live TV, you say something "on the hoof" & that's it, you are stuck with it. I blame Rich. The other thing is that it's important that the on-screen pairings - in this case Rich & I - stick together when things go wrong. This was a bit of a boo-boo, & Rich & I share the blame jointly. That's 80% him, & 30% me. I blame Rich. Seriously, I am truly sorry. We messed up.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Dear Tikay ... I think we should blame Rich !
    edited September 2009

"....in the end, i was only trying to raise a point and hopefully that has happened, without you getting a kicking off the suits,....."

I disagreee. He deserves a good kicking. I blame Rich.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Dear Tikay ... I think we should blame Rich !
    Posted by inka2003
    Harsh, but fair.

Post of the Week, in fact.
  • phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited September 2009
    Perhaps the real question here is whether ALL BOOKS should actually just go to Rich rather than have a draw as he needs all the additional help he can get ;)
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : Harsh, but fair. Post of the Week, in fact.
    Posted by Tikay10
    great , .... Another ,lets give rich grief thread ...... please put up the barriers and form an orderly line. i blame rich too.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Sunday Night Open With DP and Mark! : great , .... Another ,lets give rich grief thread ...... please put up the barriers and form an orderly line. i blame rich too.
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Joint Post of the Week.

I'm about to set off for London, via somewhere elswe, so 4 or 5 hours in the car.

I expect a full-blown "I Blame Rich" campaign to be up & running by the time I get back online. Threads, Polls, everything.

Don't let me down. That's Rich's department.
    edited September 2009
    Col, (Mr Mbro), Yes, with hindsight, that was not ideal. I blame Rich. ;) It won't happen again, & it was not intended to be unfair, but it was. I blame Rich. I'll make sure you get some form of compensation via an extra prize - I have some books at home, & I'll bring one along for when I next see you. I blame Rich, actually. As Rich (who I blame) said, these are the perils of Live TV, you say something "on the hoof" & that's it, you are stuck with it. I blame Rich. The other thing is that it's important that the on-screen pairings - in this case Rich & I - stick together when things go wrong. This was a bit of a boo-boo, & Rich & I share the blame jointly. That's 80% him, & 30% me. I blame Rich. Seriously, I am truly sorry. We messed up.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony
    Please please. I don't want or deserve any compensation of any kind.
    I have been in a similar situation before when running a squash league competitions, so i only posted to help get clarity. As i have said i totally understand the thinking and i agree with what you said that it should be down to the discretion of the presenter and expert to choose the winner.
    As for a book from your personnel collection, and please don't take this the wrong way, but the History of 12 Gauge Railways is not really my thing lol, but thanks for the offer.
    Don't worry my friend i will keep posting and emailing the shows, because without my stupid questions how can you and Rich look good hehehe.
    Where else would i have got this level of response, NOWHERE, so thank you all, but can we leave it there as i've made my point and fell absolutely rotten that it has gone this far.
    If this has got anyone into trouble then i am truly sorry, as that was farthest from my mind.
    I LOVE this site and all the satff that i have met over the last 3 years. I have and will defend this site against anyone.
    col