You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

CHELTENHAM 2011 - The Official Sky Poker F.A.B Thread.

BELL_POKERBELL_POKER Member Posts: 1,295
edited March 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
Hi all, not sure if something similar has been done already but the greatest week of the sporting year is almost upon us and I know for sure that I absolutely can't wait, excitement is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

so therefore wanted to stick up a thread about all things cheltenham so everyone can share their views, fancies and lays of the meeting. 

happy punting everybody, heres hoping for a good 1!!!!!!

regards HailHail

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2011
    i dont mind getting things underway!!!

when more posts are up (hopefully!) then i'm fine with going into more reasoning for each selection, but for now ill just list a brief list of my fancies to get things moving..........

not all races are covered, still to get a better look at some of the handicaps, but i'll list m ost of the portfolio and a NAP for each day

TUESDAY

SUPREME NOVICES: spirit son, recession proof e/w

ARKLE: medermit (NAP)

SPINAL RESEARCH HANDICAP: sunnyhillboy

CHAMPION HURDLE: peddlers cross

X COUNTRY: garde champetre (handicapper has loosened grip and he WILL go in again this year!!)

DN MARES HURDLE: quevega

WEDNESDAY

NH CHASE: alfa beat (NAP)

NEPTUNE NOVICES HARDLE: rock on ruby

RSA CHASE: wayward prince e/w

QM CHAMPION CHASE: somersby

CORAL CUP: aegean dawn (with a run), call the police

FRED WINTER: a media luz

CHAMPION BUMPER: allure of illusion, star neuville

THURS

JEWSON NOVICES CHASE: was gonna be hells bay, backed him in ante post multiples like he couldnt get beat but has been ruled out!!!!! : (

however, Every cloud, winner is WISHFULL THINKING (NAP)

PERTEMPS FINAL: barafundle, lush life e/w

WORLD HURDLE: big bucks (nothing surprising there but with some offering 11/10 it is a gift from the heavens!)

saver e/w mourad

FRIDAY:

TRIUMPH HURDLE: grandouet

ALBERT BARTLETT HURDLE: mossley e/w

GOLD CUP: with so many questions over so many, i might just sit back and enjoy it as a spectacle, though if the gound came up soft (good to soft) the PANDORAMA would be nap of the week so going to wait unrtil nrnb comes in everywhere and shop round for best price, anything 20's would be absolute steal if he got his conditions!

GRAND ANNUAL: tanks for that (plot horse from henderson yard to win race dedicated to his father, has run over hurdles to protect chase mark)

hope that made for non too boring reading, hope some selections you'll agree with, and some of course that you won't!!! interested to hear feedback and your selctions and any other thoughts you may have about the greatest show on earth!

• Options
    Big_BucksBig_Bucks Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2011
    Im going to win the World Hurdle by 2 1/4 Lengths from a well held Grand Grus. I hit a flat spot mid race and let Grand Grus steel a 10 length lead turning for home. Then i kick in the stamina booster up the Cheltenham hill Ruby gives me 2 taps with the whip and i canter on by. The Cheltenham crowd roar as i reign supreme for the 3rd consecutive year. Nayyy! 
  • Options
    slaverchopslaverchop Member Posts: 177
    edited March 2011
    I agree is a fantastic event ill give some tips(obv losin ones lol ) soon.

Btw has anyone ever been to the cheltenham festival?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2011
    Are you the hail hail who plays alot of hu on here?

Good thread, know nothing, but love to read/bet/watch.....

While I'm here, anyone got anything for the CH.4 races for this afternoon?

Surprisingly quiet in here for a Saturday.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    just a lucky 15 for today, keeping the dooooooooooooooooooh (dough) for next week!

DON: 210 PREMIER DES MARAIS
    NEW: 225 THE SAWYER
    NEW 300: BIG FELLA THANKS
    NEW 335: MADE IN TIME
  • Options
    imberimber Member Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: CHELTENHAM 2011:
    I agree is a fantastic event ill give some tips(obv losin ones lol ) soon. Btw has anyone ever been to the cheltenham festival?
    Posted by slaverchop
    thanx for stirring up fantastic memories - i was very close to the finishing line - about 30 deep in 1986 when jonjo oneill rode dawn run to the only hurdle/gold cup double - if you haven't heard this take a look at the wonderful description on wikipaedia and prob on youtube. this was my one and only visit to the festival but will live in memory for ever even tho i have the distinction of visiting all 55 racecourses in England & Wales  (including the disaster that was great Leys!!!) My other major highlights were 1974 aintree for Red Rums second national win out of 3 - and visiting Rummys grave by the winning post at aintree in 02 - oh the sport of kings have a wonderful week!!!!
  • Options
    slaverchopslaverchop Member Posts: 177
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: CHELTENHAM 2011 : thanx for stirring up fantastic memories - i was very close to the finishing line - about 30 deep in 1986 when jonjo oneill rode dawn run to the only hurdle/gold cup double - if you haven't heard this take a look at the wonderful description on wikipaedia and prob on youtube. this was my one and only visit to the festival but will live in memory for ever even tho i have the distinction of visiting all 55 racecourses in England & Wales  (including the disaster that was great Leys!!!) My other major highlights were 1974 aintree for Red Rums second national win out of 3 - and visiting Rummys grave by the winning post at aintree in 02 - oh the sport of kings have a wonderful week!!!!
    Posted by imber

I remember dawn run thought oneil gve it a great ride.Red rum i never ever backed it just my luck lol.

Ive only been to flat racing at doncaster,haydock,ripon and york  loved it nothing better than live racing the atmosphere is second to none :) 
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,318
    edited March 2011

Hailhail,

Pity you missed an entry into the Naps table.

I also thought Hells Bay was nailed on but as I took the bookie with days of theyear NRNB i have already got my money back.

Other NRNB  already exercised

Walkon 10-1for Coral Cup
    Moonlight Drive 25-1 for Alfred Barlett
    Kempes 16-1 for Ryanair
    Peddlers cross 5-1 for Champion
    Finians Rainbow 9-2 for Arkle
    Recession Proof 9-1 for Supreme Novices

Father Vaigret

• Options
    edited March 2011

Hailhail inspired me to do some more

Ocean Transit 66-1 for Mares Hurdle
    Hey Big spender 16-1 Byrne Group
    Local Hero 25-1  Triumph hurdle
    French opera 12-1 for Grand annual
    Presenting forever 14-1 for Spinal research
    Divers 8-1 Centenary

God Bless em all

All done on best odds and NRNB

• Options
    edited March 2011

vaigret

yes i'm sorry i missed the naps table too! had a check up on it on friday evening when i set up this thread, good work!

since putting up my selections i have heard word on numerous forums  for moonlight drive for the Albert Bartlett also, and just moments ago read that John Quinn is very keen on his chances, i know that hes been baced in to 16's accross the board, might have a nibble (but do tend to take such festival 'tips' with a slight pinch of salt!)

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Hi hailhail,

I think the tips for Moonlight Drive came from interview in Racing post with owner. Thats where i got it from

Father V
  • Options
    andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited March 2011
    my 2 naps are big bucks and time for rupert ,all ready had a big double on these 2,im all ready on grand crus at 16s ew for world hurdle,will also be backing solwhit ew at big prices with out big bucks
  • Options
    goodylad21goodylad21 Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2011
    Went too a Cheltenham Festival preview night recently and i will post some info of what happened !
  • Options
    goodylad21goodylad21 Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2011
    A few notes from the preview night: panel Noel****mins NC (Bookmaker and Odds Compiler), Eddie Mcmahon EM (Ppower), Gordon Clarkson GC, Paul Townend PT, Davy Russell DR, Noel Fehily NF, Henry De Bromhead HB and Choc Thornton CT and Richard Johnson RJ by phone.

Supreme Novices 

PT would have liked to have seen Day Of A Lifetime get a run Sunday, DR Cue Card will win Day of a Lifetime "a donkey", GC 9/10 winners rated 159 or higher likes Cue Card, Spirit Son to run a good race Sprinter Sacre needs flatter track. NF says Al Ferof was giving him a really great feel when he fell at Cheltenham and 16/1 is a big price. HB Cue Card. EM 8/38 Fav have won (thanks for that). RJ on phone says that Cue Card has the best chance of winning of any horse at the festival, banker of the meeting and that 9/4 is massive. 

Arkle 

NC Realth Dubh e/w, DR Questions Medermits attitude but likely winner, Captain Chris too slow and Starlucks in need of a run. GC Captain Chris e/w but no strong opinion (no bet). NF Finians Rainbow by far the best of the English horses. HB Medermit. EM Medermit. 

CT on phone Medermit massive chance, 3rd time lucky? "I'll have Ruby in my sights at the last, don't worry about that" Medermit his nap of the week! 

On Bensalem in Will Hill he says horse is looking forward but needs to sort out jumping. 

Champion Hurdle 

NC can't have Hurricane Fly likes Peddlers X. PT doesn't seem overly keen on Hurricane Fly while DR says you must wait till the day to back Hurricane due to his temperament, thinks Overturn massive price e/w. GC Dunguib suits stats and likes A Thousand Stars e/w. NF if theres cut in the ground he would love the ride on Peddlers X. HB Menorah. 

RJ on phone says it's a very hot Champion but sees Hurricane Fly as biggest danger to Menorah, I get the impression he's very confident. 

Neptune Investment Novices 

NC First Lieutenant. DR Oscars Well will be bigger on the day 4/1 a "scandalous price". GC Rock on Ruby to place. HB First Lieutenant. 

RSA Chase 

PT Couldn't back Mikael D'Haguenet shaking head "no he won't" and he's riding it? DR Its wide open Quito De La Rock and Bostons Angel e/w. NF Aiteen Thirtythree. HB Bostons Angel. 

Queen Mother 

NC taking on Big Zeb and Master Minded, likes Sommersby or Sizing Europe. DR Ground is the key to Big Zebs chance "Woolcombe Folly may as well be running around the beach than run in this thing!" GC can't have Sommersby in a million years. NF If Big Zeb gets his ground then Master Minded no chance likes Sizing Europe e/w. HB really pleased with Sizing Europe and hes hopeful 12/1 huge price. EM 26/29 winners in single figures and 10/12 1st/2nd in Arkle. DR "All we got to do is back Sizing Europe into single figures and he ticks all the boxes." 

Bumper 

NC Laid Allure of Illusion back in September at 12/1. PT not confident of any Mullins that have been out already, one or two still in yard but gave no details, he didn't seem confident to me. DR LoveofHigherLaw won't be entered Raise The Beat "right good horse" but Allure of Illusion WILL go off favourite! GC Knights Pass very good horse, don't rule out Persian Snow on better ground, Ericht better of Hendersons horses. NF Knights Pass very impressive and won under penalty he and Persian Snow stand out a mile. EM Fingal Bay. 

RJ on phone Persian Snow did not like the soft ground, would not be confident unless the ground is right he needs it good. 

Thats where I left it as it ran fairly late might be of some help, interesting night nonetheless. Hope this goes up as I already tried to post it and I've had to type it again. Must copy it this time!! If I get any more from mates that stayed on I'll let you know. 

Don't shoot the messenger! 
  • Options
    andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited March 2011

i no what happened ryan,i bet you got p.ssed

• Options
    edited March 2011

nice one goody, going to one tonight @ europa myself, matt chapman off ATR plus a few others so sould be some good info lurking about. got my 'weekender' ultimate guide newspaper in today, been getting it last 5 or 6 years super read but they've changed the format a bit this year so slightly disappointed but still a very worthwhile read nonetheless. they usually show trends for every race but have'nt this year for some reason? and as a trends backer i could do with the info in handy paper form for quick reference!! sure i can go online so alls not lost i guess. 

like double, ive TFR with quevega and BB and medermit (9/2) in trebles, plus TFR with big zeb and a few others, but a decent e/w bet on wayward prince with the win part of bet very much a possibility.

ive hells bay (scrubbed) in yankees etc with menorah and medermit ante post like they couldnt get beat, however ive cooled slightly on menorah given 2 major trends; winner has had a run same calendar year and supreme novice winners have'nt won in somewhat 60 years??!! think ive got that right! so iver now cooled my interest in hobbs' charge considerably and im keeping the faith in a big winner for me last year in peddlers, delighted jason maguire gets to keep ride! last year n supremes i was a major non believer for dunguib and didnt fancy at all! it was oscar whisky i took to beat the jolly that day and although a staying on 4th to menorah, i expect more improvement from him and would be my idea of something e/w to peddlers.

i have a gut feeling the reigning champ binocular may finish unplaced.........

• Options
    edited March 2011

Nice info goodylad

I def think Menorah danger to my fancy Peddlers Cross

andybuck lovely 16-1 about Grand Crus, certain to be placed and could surprise Big Bucks.

Father V

• Options
    Spartan3Spartan3 Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2011
    N1 goody, hope to see an update from you HailHail tomoro - just as compehensive!!

I do fancy Thousand Stars for place, surprised still available at 50/1 now confirmed runner.  Reckon he'll be in winners enclosure with his mate Hurricane Fly, who I think could be favourite come the day.

Tuesday could be a day for the favourites, Cue Card, Medermit & Quevega all have great chances.

I've also backed Aiteen Thirtythree in RSA (20/1) and Back in Focus in AB Hurdle (66/1) before their last run, so I've got some value if nothing else.

Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Spartan3Spartan3 Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2011
    Hailhail inspired me to do some more Ocean Transit 66-1 for Mares Hurdle Hey Big spender 16-1 Byrne Group Local Hero 25-1  Triumph hurdle French opera 12-1 for Grand annual Presenting forever 14-1 for Spinal research Divers 8-1 Centenary God Bless em all All done on best odds and NRNB
    Posted by vaigret
    Hi Vaigret,
    Oceans Transit odds seems high with current form, any idea why or just stayed under the radar?  Anyway tanks for highlighting and I will be following the Father with than one.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hi Spartan

Ocean Transit has two options for cheltenham, this race and Martin Pipe conditional. I'm going to have a bet whichever it goes in. The doubt seems to be whether it goes on a left handed track and small trqainers get overlooked sometimes. However the form reamains rock solid. Blue Nymph 11-1 and Cloudy Spirit 11-4 both come out of race and won easily and I mean easily.

I continue to look at horses who ran in the ludlow race and I wouldnt be surprised if the Kempton form works out well too.

Lets hope so

Father Vaigret