You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

awful call

Comments

• Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited September 2009
    hi kev m8 ,thinking about this hand ,im folding here imo,u have have 2 ask urself what am i beating here,uve bn raised ,and uve got 33 ,uve got enough allin chips to get him off if hes stealing<5900>,but if hes not stealing ,ur in trouble,i dont think ur 3s r gonna hold up ,unless u hit a set ur gonna have 2 dodge alot of cards ,or ur already bhind...........u havnt got enough bhind 2 flat call ,although i dont know what the blinds r ,so this is debatable......ur allin move is questionable,but it is a 50 50 scenario,on this occasion u got spot on,and the call by villian is shocking....mybe there was some history here btween the 2 of u ,who knows anyways m8 next time just fold b lukky
  • Options
    jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: awful call:
    hi kev m8 ,thinking about this hand ,im folding here imo,u have have 2 ask urself what am i beating here,uve bn raised ,and uve got 33 ,uve got enough allin chips to get him off if hes stealing<5900 />,but if hes not stealing ,ur in trouble,i dont think ur 3s r gonna hold up ,unless u hit a set ur gonna have 2 dodge alot of cards ,or ur already bhind...........u havnt got enough bhind 2 flat call ,although i dont know what the blinds r ,so this is debatable......ur allin move is questionable,but it is a 50 50 scenario,on this occasion u got spot on,and the call by villian is shocking....mybe there was some history here btween the 2 of u ,who knows anyways m8 next time just fold b lukky
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    i agree wiv ten here kev....33 is not that strong to reraise wiv all in tbh....im folding all day long....;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: awful call : 4.48 am...... got final table 4.51 am im short stacked push allin on the button with AQ sb has ks and holds up , 1250.00 dollars made it worth while tho
    Posted by razorkev
    nice pick up.... wd on s t a rs i take it?;-)
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    • HIYA ALL

THE HEADLINE WAS CALLED AWFUL CALL SO TBH THINK SOME OF YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT..

BASICALLY MY MOVE WAS MADE TO SHOW REAL AGGRESSION AND HE NEEDED A STRONGISH HND TO CALL AS I WAS MAKING HIM PUT MORE THAN HALF HIS STACK IN .

I WAS ASKING WOULD YOU CALL MORE THAN 55% WITH Q7??

CHEERS 4 UR FEEDBACK THO ALL

• Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited September 2009
    I'm intrigued by the comments from TENOFSPADE and jimbo31...

Guys - you're placing for too much belief in the villain's opening raise.  Quite frankly, he could have any two cards!  In the modern game, an opening raise means very little...

And, sure enough, in this instance, the villain was raising light.  He SHOULD have folded when Kev shoved.  Instead, he made a sick call and was very lucky to find himself with two live cards, let alone two over-cards!

When Kev pushes all-in from the big blind with his small pair, he knows he is (roughly) 70% favourite to win the hand, because his stack size gives him fold equity.  MOST of the time his opponent will be forced to fold.  Hands like A6, KT and 55 CANNOT call in this situation.

When he does get called, he's only actually losing on the small number of occasions that he's up against a higher pair.  And he's 50/50 against two high cards.

So, shoving from the big blind is the correct percentage play.

As for 33 not being strong enough to re-raise with, I'll repeat my earlier assertion: you can raise with ANY TWO CARDS.

It's when it comes to CALLING that you have to evaluate the strength of your hand :-)

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited September 2009
    This is the 3rd or 4th post I've seen on here in recent weeks where the hero has gone all-in with 33 and then wonders whether they did the right thing having been wiped out. J Hartgan is right you can push/go all-in with any hand, whether staking your tournament on it is prudent is another matter. Raising into a much bigger stack who is a loose fish is asking for trouble.

Viva la difference. Poker would be boring and uneventful without it.
  • Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited September 2009
    judgeing by the raise from villian im guessing the blinds r 150 300 ,kev has 5900 stack ,thats  19 bb ,seriously james y would u want 2 put ur entire tournament on the line by shoving all in with a pair of 3s ,....this guy has raised u ,in this instance, he didnt have a hand,but what if he did ,what r u beating ?if i was  short stacked ,no problem in they go ,but 2 put ur entire tourny on line with a pair of 3s when u dont really need 2 get involved ,i dont know y some 1 would do that,each 2 there own i suppose,but im folding all day long here , if u think hes stealing and u can get villain 2 fold then i suppose its a good move but  very very risky.......my self personally he can have my bb ,im waiting 4 a better spot   .......... sorry kev, the call from the villain was shocking
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2009
    Hi Kev,
    I agree with James.
    Personnally, i am more likely to play it the same way, but i am re-evaluating the way i play these hands, because there are too many players who dont recognise the strength of a reraise, and are just willing to gamble.
    I dont think im a bad player, but, im losing faith in my game as a result of the number of loose calls that are winning.
    I know that it could be varience but very frustrating, especially as when you put it on the site you get accused of trying to put someones play down. it makes me sick and as a result i have cut back my play to mainly deepstack tournies.
    I have spoken to a lot of the REGULARS and the consenus was that the Bounty Hunters have a roll in the amount of "bad" play at the moment.
    My belief is that, too many of the players play the same way and dont or cant change to a differing pace(me being one of them), I have trouble in BHs so i dont play the much.
    I firmly believe that the standard has regressed somewhat over the the last few months.
    col
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hi Kev, I agree with James. Personnally, i am more likely to play it the same way, but i am re-evaluating the way i play these hands, because there are too many players who dont recognise the strength of a reraise, and are just willing to gamble. I dont think im a bad player, but, im losing faith in my game as a result of the number of loose calls that are winning. I know that it could be varience but very frustrating, especially as when you put it on the site you get accused of trying to put someones play down. it makes me sick and as a result i have cut back my play to mainly deepstack tournies. I have spoken to a lot of the REGULARS and the consenus was that the Bounty Hunters have a roll in the amount of "bad" play at the moment. My belief is that, too many of the players play the same way and dont or cant change to a differing pace(me being one of them), I have trouble in BHs so i dont play the much. I firmly believe that the standard has regressed somewhat over the the last few months. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    goodpost mr mrbo.... agree with u with the standard regressing and the BH "mentality".... i tend to do the occasional mtt on here now... not as much as i used to as like u quite rightly said "are willing to gamble"... just because they see 2 paint cards or a low pp!!.....its a shame as i remember the descent players who dont seem to be playing here anymore... i also think its to do with the buy in... people throw a tenner down say and think blow it lets go for it.... itsa bit of fun... which primarily it is...... but at the moment there appears to b lacking some skill... just get ur chips in and we will race attitude cheers jim;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm intrigued by the comments from TENOFSPADE and jimbo31... Guys - you're placing for too much belief in the villain's opening raise.  Quite frankly, he could have any two cards!  In the modern game, an opening raise means very little... And, sure enough, in this instance, the villain was raising light.  He SHOULD have folded when Kev shoved.  Instead, he made a sick call and was very lucky to find himself with two live cards, let alone two over-cards! When Kev pushes all-in from the big blind with his small pair, he knows he is (roughly) 70% favourite to win the hand, because his stack size gives him fold equity.  MOST of the time his opponent will be forced to fold.  Hands like A6, KT and 55 CANNOT call in this situation. When he does get called, he's only actually losing on the small number of occasions that he's up against a higher pair.  And he's 50/50 against two high cards. So, shoving from the big blind is the correct percentage play. As for 33 not being strong enough to re-raise with, I'll repeat my earlier assertion: you can raise with ANY TWO CARDS . It's when it comes to CALLING that you have to evaluate the strength of your hand :-)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    judgeing by the raise from villian im guessing the blinds r 150 300 ,kev has 5900 stack ,thats  19 bb ,seriously james y would u want 2 put ur entire tournament on the line by shoving all in with a pair of 3s ,....this guy has raised u ,in this instance, he didnt have a hand,but what if he did ,what r u beating ?if i was  short stacked ,no problem in they go ,but 2 put ur entire tourny on line with a pair of 3s when u dont really need 2 get involved ,i dont know y some 1 would do that,each 2 there own i suppose,but im folding all day long here , if u think hes stealing and u can get villain 2 fold then i suppose its a good move but  very very risky.......my self personally he can have my bb ,im waiting 4 a better spot   .......... sorry kev, the call from the villain was shocking
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    agree again ten.... but hold on u can reraise wiv any 2 cards!!!! dont worry about ur tourney life...and this is coming from an expert!! hand ranges that beat 33..... mmmmm let me think about that for a minute.....
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hi Kev, I agree with James. Personnally, i am more likely to play it the same way, but i am re-evaluating the way i play these hands, because there are too many players who dont recognise the strength of a reraise, and are just willing to gamble. I dont think im a bad player, but, im losing faith in my game as a result of the number of loose calls that are winning. I know that it could be varience but very frustrating, especially as when you put it on the site you get accused of trying to put someones play down. it makes me sick and as a result i have cut back my play to mainly deepstack tournies. I have spoken to a lot of the REGULARS and the consenus was that the Bounty Hunters have a roll in the amount of "bad" play at the moment. My belief is that, too many of the players play the same way and dont or cant change to a differing pace(me being one of them), I have trouble in BHs so i dont play the much. I firmly believe that the standard has regressed somewhat over the the last few months. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    First thing m8,,, your a very good player

2nd thing m8,,,, i agree the play on here seems sososo loose at the mo

3rd thing m8,,,,  let our hands hold up against lags ,

4th thing m8,,,,  keep ur faith........

5th thing m8,,,,, QPR r up boro mmmmmmm lololol
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited September 2009
    hi   razor  kev   its  me  that  made  the  call   i  tell   raised up   3500    u  went  all    cost  me   about   another    arrgument  sake  1500  pot  commitd   was a freeroll   chance  off  takeing u out     ues  gregg hogg i  do  know  what  i  am  doing   not  like  80%  that play in  main  tourneys
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hi   razor  kev   its  me  that  made  the  call   i  tell   raised up   3500    u  went  all    cost  me   about   another    arrgument  sake  1500  pot  commitd   was a freeroll   chance  off  takeing u out     ues  gregg hogg i  do  know  what  i  am  doing   not  like  80%  that play in  main  tourneys
    Posted by scrumdown
    LOL HIYA,, DO U WANT ME TO POST HAND HISTORY?? U RAISED 1050 M8 LOL NOT 3500!! ANYWAY NOT GONNA ARGUE BUT IF YOU NEED ME 2 ILL POST THE HISTORY ,
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited September 2009
    no  mate  like  i  said  it was  a  freeroll
  • Options
    SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,736
    edited September 2009
    I think it would be sensible to post the hand history.
  • Options
    DAIBOOTDAIBOOT Member Posts: 522
    edited September 2009
    HI kev i think if you want to see an awful call this is right up there. when i called this allin i thought it was a good call as i had him well covered but when you look at this its not so good. what do you think? Dai
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DAIBOOT Small blind  600.00 600.00 72755.00
    Crafty_C Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 25445.00
      Your hole cards
    • 4 s
    • K c

DAIBOOT Raise  1800.00 3600.00 70955.00
    Crafty_C Raise  8400.00 12000.00 17045.00
    DAIBOOT Call  7200.00 19200.00 63755.00
    Flop

• 9 c
    • K h
    • A c

Crafty_C All-in  17045.00 36245.00 0.00
    DAIBOOT Call  17045.00 53290.00 46710.00
    Turn

• Q c

River

• 6 c

Crafty_C Show
    • J
    • K

DAIBOOT Show
    • K

DAIBOOT Win Flush to the Ace 53290.00  100000.00
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think it would be sensible to post the hand history.
    P
    osted by SoLack[/QUOTE

HIYA SOLACK M8,

I WILL BE KIND AND NOT BOTHER PUBLISHING IT, I PUT THIS THREAD ON 2 MINS AFTER THE CALL SO TBH IF I WAS LYING ID BE CAUGHT OUT !

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THE DISCUSSION AND BEWARE OF LAGS..

GL ALL
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: awful call : agree again ten.... but hold on u can reraise wiv any 2 cards!!!! dont worry about ur tourney life...and this is coming from an expert!! hand ranges that beat 33..... mmmmm let me think about that for a minute.....
    Posted by jimbo31
    OK, this will be my last post on this subject...

I'd like to begin with a quotation from the great Gavin Griffin: "I have no problem crashing out of a tournament with 8-5 off.  I'd rather get caught making a move, than sit there folding marginal hands and being blinded out."

Now, Kev seems to imply in his original post that he was relatively short-stacked.  Assuming the blinds are 200/400, he has fewer than 15 bbs, so can't sit around waiting forever for a 'better opportunity'.

Jim - you and I both know there are only 11 hands that are beating 33 (and most players facing Kev's all-in would probably fold 44, 55 and 66 - and some might even lay-down 77 and 88).  Against all other hands he's 50/50 or better - and MOST of those hands (including Q7!) should fold to his shove.  But if he does get called, it's a flip.  When you're down to 15 bbs, you should be happy to take a race...

• Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: awful call : OK, this will be my last post on this subject... I'd like to begin with a quotation from the great Gavin Griffin: "I have no problem crashing out of a tournament with 8-5 off.  I'd rather get caught making a move, than sit there folding marginal hands and being blinded out." Now, Kev seems to imply in his original post that he was relatively short-stacked.  Assuming the blinds are 200/400, he has fewer than 15 bbs, so can't sit around waiting forever for a 'better opportunity'. Jim - you and I both know there are only 11 hands that are beating 33 (and most players facing Kev's all-in would probably fold 44, 55 and 66 - and some might even lay-down 77 and 88).  Against all other hands he's 50/50 or better - and MOST of those hands (including Q7!) should fold to his shove.  But if he does get called, it's a flip.  When you're down to 15 bbs, you should be happy to take a race...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    GUYS CHEERS 4 UR FEEDBACK , I PERSONALLY KNOW I MADE THE CORRECT MOVE BUT POKER IS A FUNNY OLD GAME SO OTHERS FEEL I DIDNT

IS THAT NOT WHAT WE ALL LOVE BOUT THE GAME.

IF I PUSH YA ALLIN GUYS...BEWARE..LOL

THX AGAIN