You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

COULD U FOLD

TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
hi guys ,i was in a hand a couple of days ago and i was in the bb ,and it was an unraised pot ,so i had a free look with my 63 off suit...the flop came 24 of diamonds 5 clubs .....ive flopped the str8 and im thinking how do i get paid? i check ..and then it all kicks off , 2 player go allin and its back 2 me , my thoughts here is some1s got a diamond flush draw......and at the time i really didnt fancy my chances of my str8 holding up ,i dont know what it was ,but i just had a bad feeling about it ...... seeing that it was only a £5 freeze out tourney i made the call ,,player 1 had slow played queens , and player 2 was on a flush draw.....the turn was a diamond and i went out......anyway my question is what % fav was i with a str8 against a flush draw ?,i dont think i was miles ahead and possibly could have folded.....if i had paid £110 to play in the £2000 deepstack i think i would have...also if i had folded this hand in the primo last friday and they showed it on tv ,would i have bn slated or told i was playing to tight ? im not normally a tight player ,i just had a bad feelin i was gonna b outdrawn in this particular hand,,,could u make the laydown????????

Comments

• Options
    jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2009
    In Response to COULD U FOLD:
    hi guys ,i was in a hand a couple of days ago and i was in the bb ,and it was an unraised pot ,so i had a free look with my 63 off suit...the flop came 24 of diamonds 5 clubs .....ive flopped the str8 and im thinking how do i get paid? i check ..and then it all kicks off , 2 player go allin and its back 2 me , my thoughts here is some1s got a diamond flush draw......and at the time i really didnt fancy my chances of my str8 holding up ,i dont know what it was ,but i just had a bad feeling about it ...... seeing that it was only a £5 freeze out tourney i made the call ,,player 1 had slow played queens , and player 2 was on a flush draw.....the turn was a diamond and i went out......anyway my question is what % fav was i with a str8 against a flush draw ?,i dont think i was miles ahead and possibly could have folded.....if i had paid £110 to play in the £2000 deepstack i think i would have...also if i had folded this hand in the primo last friday and they showed it on tv ,would i have bn slated or told i was playing to tight ? im not normally a tight player ,i just had a bad feelin i was gonna b outdrawn in this particular hand,,,could u make the laydown????????
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    hello mate u made the nuts on the flop.... u had dream action, im all in 110% of the time.... regardless of buy in.... i wouldnt fold but they do say follow ur gut feeling....think u were fairly aheada coz he only had 9 outs... but no way im passing.... right call just unlucky;-)
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    What were the blinds relative to stacks at this point?

Player two was putting the squeeze on, was up against QQ so the Queens have to make the call on that board really.

Only thing you could have done different was ship it all in (or at least make a bet that out prices a flop draw calling) on the flop, give the decision to Player two, who may have folded his flush draw at the odds your giving him (depends if he is in gambling mood - and if it would break him?) and yout would have defo had a caller in QQ as he would not put you on an over pair. though slight chance you have hit a set with that board.

Dave
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2009

the only place i would consider folding here was if it were a satlite to a tourney i really couldnt afford to buy directly into and was looking forward to playing.. once i got to that tourny tho.. even if this was the first hand im making the call..

even if player 1 = flush draw (9 outs = <40%)
    and player 2 had trips = (8outs to hit full house + would have 9 on river but only 1 card left)

at the end of the day after the flop you hit the nuts after the flop.

i folded aces pre flop last week in a live tourney (cash/final table bubble) when there were 3 all ins b4 me, i know every1 will say i should have called and that i should av been there to win not ladder i really didnt fancy my chances of holding up 4 handed..  as it happen the short stack won the pot with 2 pair, but i would av won a big side pot.

somtimes gut instinct works better than odds lol

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    Just put the odds into an odds calculator... you were 60% , QQ was 3% and flush draw(i put as J10) was 36%

Good call... you can never fold the nuts, unless like daz says there are multiway all ins on the bubble of a satelite...
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009

fold,,no ing way..lol
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited September 2009

You should not fold here - it's a snap-call. Temporary nuts are enough to Call in Texas.

It's a cooler, really, but pretty standard stuff really.

In 4 Card Omaha it's different - you'd not be favourite against the field, as you have no extensions. The other players can both improve, you cannot. It's a much tougher decision in Omaha, but in Texas, snap-call, & it is what it is.

Remember, to win big - BIG - pots, you need "big-on-big", & that carries with it an element of risk. With greater risk, comes greater reward/loss.

One thing always to remember in these coups - you went in way behind, so it's not a bad-beat. We saw a "I flopped a Set with 3-3 & got Rivered by a set of Kings" thread yesterday, & it's the same as that - the 3's were 18 miles behind pre, so it's not a bad-beat.

Onwards & upwards!  
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: COULD U FOLD:
    You should not fold here - it's a snap-call. Temporary nuts are enough to Call in Texas. It's a cooler, really, but pretty standard stuff really. In 4 Card Omaha it's different - you'd not be favourite against the field, as you have no extensions. The other players can both improve, you cannot. It's a much tougher decision in Omaha, but in Texas, snap-call, & it is what it is. Remember, to win big - BIG - pots, you need "big-on-big", & that carries with it an element of risk. With greater risk, comes greater reward/loss. One thing always to remember in these coups - you went in way behind, so it's not a bad-beat. We saw a "I flopped a Set with 3-3 & got Rivered by a set of Kings" thread yesterday, & it's the same as that - the 3's were 18 miles behind pre, so it's not a bad-beat. Onwards & upwards!  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm not sure about your definition of a bad-beat.
    I think that most people would say that the bad-beat is determined by the odds when (most of) the money went in.
    In this case, as there was no pre-flop raise and he had the nuts when the money went in, I reckon I'd call that a baddish beat. Obviously it's not the worst of beats given the odds.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: COULD U FOLD : I'm not sure about your definition of a bad-beat. I think that most people would say that the bad-beat is determined by the odds when (most of) the money went in. In this case, as there was no pre-flop raise and he had the nuts when the money went in, I reckon I'd call that a baddish beat. Obviously it's not the worst of beats given the odds.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Well I take your point, Vince, I do, but in my little word, if I get involved with 6-3 againsat Q-Q, even if I did get in "free" or cheap, it's never a bad-beat.

It's fair to say I shy away from even talking about bad-beats. 

I used to do Live (Web) Updates for a few years, from all over the world, but Vegas sticks in my memory more than most, & that dreadful corridor. At every Tourney Break, the eerie silence of that echo-ey corridor would be broken as 2,000 players streamed into the corridor, & queued up to tell me what happened.

"I Raised with K-K, & guess what he called me with?"

"so the flop came....."

"How can he call there?".....

I must have heard the same stories a zillion times, which is fine, it goes with the territory. But I never understood the point of telling the story - but I did work out that the teller never really grasped what poker is about. Poker is luck-based - skill gives us an edge - & if they don't want luck, then Chess is ideal.

That does NOT apply to this Thread, which is actually an interesting coup, & I don't mind if it's clased as a bad-beat or not really.

The fascination to me - thank you, OP - was how, imo, this is a snap-call in Texas, & in many cases, an easy fold in Omaha. In 6 card O, it's an almost standard fold!

Poker, the beautiful (& varied) game.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    Well, in my world if he had lost to the QQ it would have been a shocking bad-beat since he would have been about 97% favourite when the money went in!

You can't blame the guy for taking a free flop in the big blind and flopping the nuts! ;-)

I take your point about bad beats but some of us just can't help it.

Did I tell you the one where a guy shoved on me with KQ ....?
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    This isn't Omaha.  How can you even think of folding.

But w/e results based mentality ftw
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This isn't Omaha.  How can you even think of folding.

Even if you can polarise your opponents ranges to the very, very top of 67dd and 555/444/222 (doesn't matter which set in this hand), then you are still a big favourite.  I am semi capable of number crunching but I'm 5 tabling atm and haven't read the replies so ill leave that to Merenovice, as I expect he has posted something along those lines.

And actually if you are gonna be folding the nuts in ANY tournie (well bar the WSOP ME) then you shouldn't be playing poker.  You wanna cash/final table w/e and in a £110 tounrie, where your skill advantage is gonna be less than a £5 one, you need to take every single equity advantage you can. 

In fact I would argue that if you were gonna fold the flopped nuts that its a better idea to do so in a £5 tournie than a £100 one as you are more likely gonna be more +ev in those games so you can wait for 'better' spots.

But w/e results based mentality ftw

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, in my world if he had lost to the QQ it would have been a shocking bad-beat since he would have been about 97% favourite when the money went in! You can't blame the guy for taking a free flop in the big blind and flopping the nuts! ;-) I take your point about bad beats but some of us just can't help it. Did I tell you the one where a guy shoved on me with KQ ....?
    Posted by MereNovice
    I'm not blaming him, nor am I saying it's a Bad-Beat Tale - I just wanted to make a point, & this seemed as good a spot as any so to do.

We all define Bad-Beats differently. Personally, I don't care when the money goes in, it's like everything in life - the tale really starts at the very beginning. Which was 6-3 v Q-Q v two random diamonds. We were a huge dog at that stage, then we got extraordinarily lucky. (You will know the odds of that straight flopping is what, hundreds to 1?).

It's a cooler in my book, but even if we forget the QQ, how much of a fav was the 6-3 against the Flush Draw on a 2-diamond flop? 2/1? That's hardly bad-beat territory, because thats when the money went in!

Love these debates, I really do.

PS - KQ is still the nutz.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Just to re-iterate - No, I could not, would not, & should not, Fold.

But we were not that big a fave v the FD.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just to re-iterate - No, I could not, would not, & should not, Fold. But we were not that big a fave v the FD.
    Posted by Tikay10
    2/1 edge in NLHE is pretty massive, and with 2 stax in the middle then we are getting amazing odds plus it is is also a fairly reasonable assumption that we could be up against 2FDs, descreasing their outagessss.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: COULD U FOLD : 2/1 edge in NLHE is pretty massive, and with 2 stax in the middle then we are getting amazing odds plus it is is also a fairly reasonable assumption that we could be up against 2FDs, descreasing their outagessss.
    Posted by scotty77
    Lol, I'll say it one more time!

HE HAS TO CALL.

I have never suggested, alluded, or implied otherwise.

But he's not nailed-on to win, & Flush draws - 4 to the flop - hit 1 time in 3. Being flushed is rarely a bad-beat. And the OP never suggested it was, btw.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I wasn't contesting the call/not call point.  That is a no brainer for anyone who has been playing poker for more than an hour.

But 2/1 is a big fav.  Everyone in the wolrd would bite your hand off to have the chance to get it AIPF with KK vs AK and that isn't that far behind a flopped st8 vs a flopped flush draw scenario.
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2009

I can never fold the nuts.. flush draw or no flush draw.

• Options
    sofadudesofadude Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2009
    Definite all in for me. I was only hit by one flush draw last night even tho several tried so it's always worth if for a big pot.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: COULD U FOLD : 2/1 edge in NLHE is pretty massive, and with 2 stax in the middle then we are getting amazing odds plus it is is also a fairly reasonable assumption that we could be up against 2FDs, descreasing their outagessss.
    Posted by scotty77
    tikay?? do you call this on the bubble in a satalite tourney to a tourney you cant afford to buy directly into?? i personally would fold on the bubble in a sat... but this would be the only situation i would fold in..
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: COULD U FOLD : tikay?? do you call this on the bubble in a satalite tourney to a tourney you cant afford to buy directly into?? i personally would fold on the bubble in a sat... but this would be the only situation i would fold in..
    Posted by daz231023
    assuming you were average to big stack... i would call if i were less than average stack and risked being blinded out