You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SKY 1 CHIP TORNS???

Comments

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited October 2009
    Good stuff... Great value with 6 paid every night... sometimes with only 15 runners its just as hard to NOT cash as it is to cash :-)
  • Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS???:
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : We have a £22 deepstack daily at 7.30 with GTD 6 paid.... but for some reason we dont get many runners. struggling to get 20 at the moment maybe u should give them a go
    Posted by FlashFlush
    ME AGAIN.I MUST ADD THOUGH THAT I WILL HAVE TO PLAY ON A NIGHT WHEN THERE IS NO ORFORDABLE,YOURNAME AND SLEEPSTACK AS MY NOT SO MODERN LAPTOP IS VERY ADVERSE TO MULTI TABLING
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    In Response to SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : To be honest Kev i would like,WHOEVER, made this decision to quatify, that decision. I HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE STALWARTS OF THIS SITE OVER THE THE LAST 2 YEARS, BUT IM LOSING FAITH IN WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE. Those who know me, know how hard it is for me to make that statement. In Rich's original post, he stated that if there was any fun ones there was spot prizes up for offer, but have any been given NO. WHAT EXACTLY DO THEY SEE AS FUN POSTS. COL
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Totally agree. No spot prizes, no mention of spot prizes. Therefore without shadow of a doubt, we have been lied to. I saw that competition as an cheap way of gaining idea's without using a P.R. company. £80 instead of a few grand. Very nice touch sky.

I posted this elsewhere but it is more relevant here so here goes....

One of the most popular suggestions on the recent competition was ideas to use up surplus points. This would obviously cost sky a few quid.
    What a shock, not even a mention of this when the prizes were dished out.
    The winners all had idea's that would cost sky nowt and in oynutters idea (not moaning at your win mate) would generate very fast earning rake.

Moneygrabbing instantly springs to mind.
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited October 2009
    I may have to take up russian roulette now so i get to grips wiv the 1 chip torn!! HELP us all
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I may have to take up russian roulette now so i get to grips wiv the 1 chip torn!! HELP us all
    Posted by razorkev
    First heads up roulette, then 1 minute roulette mtt's now 1 chip nutters tourneys.

See a pattern here?

Quick rake, no skilled madness.

I thought this was a poker site. If I wanna gamble I think I will stick a quid on the roulette table on skyvegas. At least i save the rake.
  • Options
    diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : Totally agree. No spot prizes, no mention of spot prizes. Therefore without shadow of a doubt, we have been lied to. I saw that competition as an cheap way of gaining idea's without using a P.R. company. £80 instead of a few grand. Very nice touch sky. I posted this elsewhere but it is more relevant here so here goes.... One of the most popular suggestions on the recent competition was ideas to use up surplus points. This would obviously cost sky a few quid. What a shock, not even a mention of this when the prizes were dished out. The winners all had idea's that would cost sky nowt and in oynutters idea (not moaning at your win mate) would generate very fast earning rake. Moneygrabbing instantly springs to mind.
    Posted by Hale72
    yes, spot on!

is anyone from sky reading this thread...?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : First heads up roulette, then 1 minute roulette mtt's now 1 chip nutters tourneys. See a pattern here? Quick rake, no skilled madness. I thought this was a poker site. If I wanna gamble I think I will stick a quid on the roulette table on skyvegas. At least i save the rake.
    Posted by Hale72
    Unless I've made a mistake, I don't think that any of these tournaments are mandatory.
    So, to everyone banging on about this as if it's the end of the world as we know it, I'd suggest that you just don't play them.
    There are plenty of deepstack tournaments (several created at the request of people on this forum).
    If people want to play these types of games, that's their choice.

As far as I am aware, SkyPoker is by far the most receptive poker site in terms of putting on the types of tournaments that customers request. They are, however, in the business to make a profit, not just to run a few games for 100 or so mates to have fun. Since I doubt that the deepstack tournaments are really profit making ventures at this stage, I guess that we should look on the gimmicky, popular games as subsidising our poker rather than mocking them.

The constant denigration of different types of games and inexperienced players is getting rather tiresome.

Just my opinion, obviously.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : Unless I've made a mistake, I don't think that any of these tournaments are mandatory. So, to everyone banging on about this as if it's the end of the world as we know it, I'd suggest that you just don't play them. There are plenty of deepstack tournaments (several created at the request of people on this forum). If people want to play these types of games, that's their choice. As far as I am aware, SkyPoker is by far the most receptive poker site in terms of putting on the types of tournaments that customers request. They are, however, in the business to make a profit, not just to run a few games for 100 or so mates to have fun. Since I doubt that the deepstack tournaments are really profit making ventures at this stage, I guess that we should look on the gimmicky, popular games as subsidising our poker rather than mocking them. The constant denigration of different types of games and inexperienced players is getting rather tiresome. Just my opinion, obviously.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Whilst I understand and respect your reply Novice, I think the real issue is the site is quickly becoming something for the gambler. Yes it's true that no-one has to enter these tournaments, however should they become cash cows for sky then what need have sky for hosting other games? Do you want to see the deepies dropped as they make sky no money? What about stt's? are they on the endangered list as well?
    I genuinely think that backlash via the forums is the only way of letting the top brass know we dont want these sort of games, thus protecting the games we all enjoy. Again, just my opinion. See you at the tables mate.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : Unless I've made a mistake, I don't think that any of these tournaments are mandatory. So, to everyone banging on about this as if it's the end of the world as we know it, I'd suggest that you just don't play them. There are plenty of deepstack tournaments (several created at the request of people on this forum). If people want to play these types of games, that's their choice. As far as I am aware, SkyPoker is by far the most receptive poker site in terms of putting on the types of tournaments that customers request. They are, however, in the business to make a profit, not just to run a few games for 100 or so mates to have fun. Since I doubt that the deepstack tournaments are really profit making ventures at this stage, I guess that we should look on the gimmicky, popular games as subsidising our poker rather than mocking them. The constant denigration of different types of games and inexperienced players is getting rather tiresome. Just my opinion, obviously.
    Posted by MereNovice
    They are profit making, and probably far more so than these joke tournies.

The deepstacks ahve a loyal base and will always run; these new flip tournies are aimed at a different market plus their BIs are gonna be lower.  And the cost of running a DS tournie is gonna be exactly the same to Sky as running the new 1chip tournie.

I read the thread about the suggestion and it make me LOL.  I can't believe a regular member would post it as a SERIOUS suggestion, and also I can't believe that Sky would take it on board AND give the person £50 for posting it.

Total joke decision by Sky.  If you wanna have gamble tournies then go ahead.  But don't aware prizes for it and promote it on the froum, which was created to help people at all levels in their poker education to get better.

I said this before tho that Sky want gamblers on the site; Sky aren't just thinking about the poker section but aslo the betting/bingo/slot machine sections and they want something that can appeal to people with that kind of mentality.

Oh and RazorKev your nation tournie should have won IMO.  A tournie like that would create a lot of interest and also bring a lot of new members onto the forum. 
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : Whilst I understand and respect your reply Novice, I think the real issue is the site is quickly becoming something for the gambler. Yes it's true that no-one has to enter these tournaments, however should they become cash cows for sky then what need have sky for hosting other games? Do you want to see the deepies dropped as they make sky no money? What about stt's? are they on the endangered list as well? I genuinely think that backlash via the forums is the only way of letting the top brass know we dont want these sort of games, thus protecting the games we all enjoy. Again, just my opinion. See you at the tables mate.
    Posted by Hale72
    I appreciate your reasoned reponse.

However, I really don't see how getting rid of other types of game "protects" the games that you (and I) enjoy playing - and it is certainly wrong to use the phrase "we all enjoy" - the figures clearly show otherwise.

I would guess that any 1 chip tournament would quickly die a death as people realised they are paying a 10%/20% rake for the opportunity to try and win 6 or 7 50/50 races consecutively in order to win a prize.

"Variety is the spice of life" may by now be a hackneyed phrase but I believe it to still hold true. Let's just be glad that there are plenty of choices for us to make and let other people make their own choices.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And I totally see Sky's reason for this.  It is to bring in new players, which are usually dead money, to the site.

This si good for us, as they will sit onto normal tournies with that same mentality of the 1chip tournie.

So I like the idea of Sky of doing this.  What I don't like is using the forum to promote it.  This forum should be able helping people get better, not promoting flipping poker.

And fiar enough if you like the idea ok take it on board and give the poster some kind of prize.  But to give it 1st place when there were many better ideas is a joke.
  • Options
    dodgydazdodgydaz Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2009
    i know and Im gutted.... I suggested a tourny with just 2 chips!! So **** close.........
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i know and Im gutted.... I suggested a tourny with just 2 chips!! So **** close.........
    Posted by dodgydaz
    Quality.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : I appreciate your reasoned reponse. However, I really don't see how getting rid of other types of game "protects" the games that you (and I) enjoy playing - and it is certainly wrong to use the phrase "we all enjoy" - the figures clearly show otherwise. I would guess that any 1 chip tournament would quickly die a death as people realised they are paying a 10%/20% rake for the opportunity to try and win 6 or 7 50/50 races consecutively in order to win a prize. "Variety is the spice of life" may by now be a hackneyed phrase but I believe it to still hold true. Let's just be glad that there are plenty of choices for us to make and let other people make their own choices.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Not being that computer literate, I can only assume that Sky's server is finite in size and as such, to make room for another 1 chip event something may have to give. I don't know, I hope I am wrong. I have no complaints with other games coming here and as such an increased footfall to the site. New gamers come for the gamble, stay for the poker.
    However, what upsets me is I dont want Skys reputation to be tarnished and known thoughout the gambling community as the 'gimmick' site of the poker world.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited October 2009
    How about a tourney where we all have a card with numbers printed on it and a man picks balls with little numbers on them out of a barrel. As each little ball comes out the man calls the number on the ball, then ........................
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How about a tourney where we all have a card with numbers printed on it and a man picks balls with little numbers on them out of a barrel. As eack little bal comes out the man calls the number on the ball, then ........................
    Posted by elsadog
    That's patently ludicrous. It will NEVER catch on.
  • Options
    dodgydazdodgydaz Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : That's patently ludicrous. It will NEVER catch on.
    Posted by MereNovice
    craaaazy idea..... it'll never work...... now if it was a card with just one number on.......................
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : That's patently ludicrous. It will NEVER catch on.
    Posted by MereNovice

OK well what if we get a picture of a donkey.....and here's the novelty.........without a tail. Then we all have a tail each and play blindfolded and try to stick the tail on the donkey. It has everything going for it......skill, chance, and we could have side bets or play blackjack at the same time.

Oh! and guess what ........the donkey ALWAYS wins.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : Not being that computer literate, I can only assume that Sky's server is finite in size and as such, to make room for another 1 chip event something may have to give. I don't know, I hope I am wrong. I have no complaints with other games coming here and as such an increased footfall to the site. New gamers come for the gamble, stay for the poker. However, what upsets me is I dont want Skys reputation to be tarnished and known thoughout the gambling community as the 'gimmick' site of the poker world.
    Posted by Hale72
    tbf on most 'serious' poker forums it is already known as that.

the amount of games on offer has little effect on the servers that sky use.  sky could offer a 50,000 tournies to start every hour, and it wouldn't put much strain on the server.  the problems happen when loads of people want to play at the same time.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SKY 1 CHIP TORNS??? : OK well what if we get a picture of a donkey.....and here's the novelty.........without a tail. Then we all have a tail each and play blindfolded and try to stick the tail on the donkey. It has everything going for it......skill, chance, and we could have side bets or play blackjack at the same time.
    Posted by elsadog
    I like your "blue sky" thinking but I'd have to rule this one out on health and safety issues.
    Also, before you suggest getting the seed from the horse chestnut tree and sticking it on a bit of string and trying to hit another one, I'm going to have to rule that one out on the same grounds too.