You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders

JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
edited July 2011 in Community Help & Advice

Hi,

My problem is quite simple but I have no idea how to solve it as I'm not very good with computers etc.
Basically, I just want a reliable internet connection that is capable of multitabling 12 tables with no problems. I want to play on Sky full-time but as things stand it is impossible.  

Having had 2 months of constant problems with my internet connection I think the problem may lie with my ISP, Virgin (hope its OK to name them). The problem basically is that my connection seems to fail in some way (not completely) but it causes the tables to become completely unplayable and I get the network error mesage, reconnection message, reload table message etc etc. (When these problems occur internet pages also fail to load on this PC andlaptops around the house.) As a result I have no confidence playing anymore and have lost countless buy-ins over the last couple of months purely down to connection problems.

I think the problem may be the ISP for the following reasons:

I've been in touch with Sky (who were very helpful) and there is no real reason why multitabling 12+ tables should be impossible (even difficult really) and this is also obvious as there players on here who do this routinely.

My PC is new (maybe 6 weeks old?). The spec should be more than capable of multitabling (6 processors etc). The processors are AMD and I have since been led to believe that Intel would have been better but that these should still have no probs. Also, the problems with internet pages not loading occur on laptops around the house.

I bought a new router to replace the standard one. It is apparantly a decent one (Belkin playmax - £100).

I bought powerline adapters so that I could use a 'wired' LAN connection (again these are apparantly decent, netgear 500 mbps - £90)

Although the problems are pretty erratic I have noticed that they mostly centre around 'peak' times. Also, when I use speedtest.net when I'm having the problems (when it lets me) I have noticed that my speed has dropped hugely. My package is upto 50mb which I get quite alot but it often drops down to about 5mb which I think maybe linked to the problems. (Shouldn't 5mb broadband be fast enough anyway, though?).

If any of you guys might have any other possible solutions for these problems I would be really pleased to hear them.

The upshot, though, is that I am currently considering taking out a business broadband package from BT. (As I live with my parents I cannot get rid of my current ISP and BT have said I can have the 2 in the same house no problem). This would mean that I have a proper wired connection at all times and the business side means that it should be about the most reliable option I can get. The deal is £30 excl VAT per month but it's a 24 month contract with no cooling off period if my problems remain. If this will give me a reliable connection, though, then I will definately find this worthwhile and take it up straight away. One final thing about this, the download speed is expected to be 17mb at my home which sounds fine but the upload speed is only 1mb - is the upload speed a problem playing poker?

I would welcome anyone's advice on taking out this package and would also be really interested to hear from any of the full-time grinders on this site as to their set-ups and if they had any similar problems when first starting out.

As I say, I am DESPERATE for help guys as these problems are really getting on top of me now and I just want them sorted, please help if you can.

Thanks very much,

JohnConnor
(Matt)

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2011
    A can of prime Branstons Worms :)

Take a look at 'splashies' recent 90-odd page thread in this section, particularly the later pages where we discuss DSL profiling / Signal To Noise ratios on lines etc. Could be that you have a low SnR and need to increase it, which may or may not be a job for your ISP technical support people.

Sorry for the brief reply but am currently insanely busy at work.

• JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders:
    A can of prime Branstons Worms :) Take a look at 'splashies' recent 90-odd page thread in this section, particularly the later pages where we discuss DSL profiling / Signal To Noise ratios on lines etc. Could be that you have a low SnR and need to increase it, which may or may not be a job for your ISP technical support people. Sorry for the brief reply but am currently insanely busy at work.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Hi Nosey :-)

Thanks for the reply, even though you are so busy. I was following that thread and have to admit it started to get a little over my head. Nevertheless I will knuckle down and work through it (prob this evening) and see if any of that helps. Just out of interest, if it is one of those problems, would the fix be permanent. Also, if I just went with BT now instead, would I likely get similar problems with them. I am rather naive in the technology world I am afraid.
  • SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited June 2011
    wish i cud help mate, but my pc/net knoiwledge is pretty much non existent!

i've been havin real probs wiv d download last few days but i know other people av bin aswell, am changing PC and ISP nxt month and just hoping everythin goes smoothly!

why don't u just take the next month or two off n av a break ;-)
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders:
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders : Hi Nosey :-) Thanks for the reply, even though you are so busy. I was following that thread and have to admit it started to get a little over my head. Nevertheless I will knuckle down and work through it (prob this evening) and see if any of that helps. Just out of interest, if it is one of those problems, would the fix be permanent. Also, if I just went with BT now instead, would I likely get similar problems with them. I am rather naive in the technology world I am afraid.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Possibly .... and possibly. Sorry, DSL can be a little flakey and it's impossible to foresee.

I would speak to your tech support and tell them you have some reliability issues. Ask if they can tell what SnR your router is reporting. If it's very low (ie, below 6db up or down) then you'll be more prone to dropouts. Basically the higher the number the better. I'm getting about 9db each way on mine and it seems to have stabilised. Running at 6db or below I get issues.

Also you tend to find as the SnR increases you will see a decrease in bandwidth - eg, with my change from 6db upto 9db I saw a bandwidth drop from 11.5mb to 10.5mb, which thankfully is hardly noticeable.

The tech guys should be very familiar with all this.

There are other possibilites (eg rubbish phone line in general) but I'd explore the above in the first instance.

Good luck

edited June 2011
    wish i cud help mate, but my pc/net knoiwledge is pretty much non existent! i've been havin real probs wiv d download last few days but i know other people av bin aswell, am changing PC and ISP nxt month and just hoping everythin goes smoothly! why don't u just take the next month or two off n av a break ;-)
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Lol, cheers mate, best of luck with your changeover.
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders : Possibly .... and possibly. Sorry, DSL can be a little flakey and it's impossible to foresee. I would speak to your tech support and tell them you have some reliability issues. Ask if they can tell what SnR your router is reporting. If it's very low (ie, below 6db up or down) then you'll be more prone to dropouts. Basically the higher the number the better. I'm getting about 9db each way on mine and it seems to have stabilised. Running at 6db or below I get issues. Also you tend to find as the SnR increases you will see a decrease in bandwidth - eg, with my change from 6db upto 9db I saw a bandwidth drop from 11.5mb to 10.5mb, which thankfully is hardly noticeable. The tech guys should be very familiar with all this. There are other possibilites (eg rubbish phone line in general) but I'd explore the above in the first instance. Good luck
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Ok, thanks again mate. Just to be clear, I should speak to tech support as in my ISP provider, yeah? And they will have no problems with me replacing their stock router for a new one?
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Tech Support @ Your ISP :)

The router question - probably depends on your ISP. Some lock you down to theirs, most are more flexy.

• MMegabyteMMegabyte Member Posts: 334
    edited June 2011
    Ironically...Sky.

Our broadband improved about a millionfold when we moved across from AOHell or whichever other shame to the ISP industry it was.

Would possibly be ADSL2, no idea if that would help you...
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited June 2011
    As I understand it regardless of your router and provider, two of the main considerations are out of your control. That is the distance you are from your local exchange and whether that exchange has been upgraded.

All the technical stuff is good but just in case it hasn't been mentioned before or you're not aware of it, keeping your registry up to date and cleaning out temp internet files and cookies every day can have a massive effect on your computer speed. 

Also have you checked you BB speed - there are free checks online which will tell you how you compare with your neighbours. Mine is between 3 and 4 times faster than all my neighbours. It's worth checking out if you haven't already.

Before you consider making big changes see what if anything can be done at your end.
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders:
    One final thing about this, the download speed is expected to be 17mb at my home which sounds fine but the upload speed is only 1mb - is the upload speed a problem playing poker?
    Posted by JohnConnor
    As it wasn't answered earlier - no, 1mb upload is not a problem at all.
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited June 2011
    The expected download speed and the actual attained can be very different - do a bb speed test and see what your actual is. 
    edited June 2011
    The expected download speed and the actual attained can be very different - do a bb speed test and see what your actual is. 
    Posted by elsadog
    Indeed, and it's usually a case of tuning your DSL/Broadband 'profile' to achieve best performance/reliability compromise. It took me a month or so to find the right level. I can force my DSL downstream upto about 13.5Mb but the risk of dropouts increases considerably as the SnR drops to around 3db. It would probably be ok during the day but suffer more at night when line-noise often increases (street lights coming on for example). Bringing it down to about 10.5Mb seems to work best for me. However, not all ISPs/setups allow this level of control.

If I had too much grief I'd switch to leased line.

• MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited June 2011
    Matt, I don't see you actually state that you are using DSL, can you confirm if you are a Virgin DSL Modem user or Virgin Cable Modem user?

If you're not sure look at the modem and post it's make/model on here.
    edited June 2011
    Matt, I don't see you actually state that you are using DSL, can you confirm if you are a Virgin DSL Modem user or Virgin Cable Modem user? If you're not sure look at the modem and post it's make/model on here.
    Posted by Machka
    'Twas an assumption on my part that he had DSL, so fair question :)

• splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders : Ok, thanks again mate. Just to be clear, I should speak to tech support as in my ISP provider, yeah? And they will have no problems with me replacing their stock router for a new one?
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Hi Matt.

As you have probably read from my thread, I was having same issues as you were. The dropouts have completely stopped since i asked my ISP to increase my SNR(signal to noise ratio). It was set at 6db, but after they increased it to 9db, i have had no problems with dropouts.

However, since then my speed of connection has reduced a lot. This hasn't been a problem playing poker, but is a problem if im downloading something. I'm still working on getting this sorted.

Good luck

Martyn.
    edited June 2011
    Matt, I don't see you actually state that you are using DSL, can you confirm if you are a Virgin DSL Modem user or Virgin Cable Modem user? If you're not sure look at the modem and post it's make/model on here.
    Posted by Machka
    Thanks for all your help so far guys, really appreciate it.

Machka, I assumed cable but I don't honestly know. I just looked at the modem and it is a Ubee EDM3528. If it is cable, does the SNR thing not apply then?

Thanks
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders : Thanks for all your help so far guys, really appreciate it. Machka, I assumed cable but I don't honestly know. I just looked at the modem and it is a Ubee EDM3528. If it is cable, does the SNR thing not apply then? Thanks
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Yes, that's a cable modem.  So the SNR does matter (along with power levels) but it's nothing you can tweak from your end whatsoever.

I would get on to Virgin Media CS and see if they can send you out a Virgin Media Super Hub which is a combined cable modem/router.  Generally they are a lot quicker, more stable and are causing less issues for customers.
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Reliable internet, DESPERATE for some advice please from tech guys and grinders : Yes, that's a cable modem.  So the SNR does matter (along with power levels) but it's nothing you can tweak from your end whatsoever. I would get on to Virgin Media CS and see if they can send you out a Virgin Media Super Hub which is a combined cable modem/router.  Generally they are a lot quicker, more stable and are causing less issues for customers.
    Posted by Machka
    Done this. Also upgraded to 100mb broadband (as it's £10 extra per month and the superhub would of been £75 anyway). The superhub is now free and the engineer will install it upstairs so I can now have a wired connection from it all the time, hopefully this will work (if not I can cancel within 28 days anyway). Not coming until the 21st July so will update from then, looks like another month of agonising disconnections though lol.

Thanks again for your help,
    Matt
    edited June 2011
    Cool, make sure he switches off the IP Flood Detection service when he installs it.   He'll should know what that means.

edited June 2011
    Cool, make sure he switches off the IP Flood Detection service when he installs it.   He'll should know what that means.
    Posted by Machka
    Thanks Machka, I will make sure (even though I have no idea myself lol - I trust you 100%)

JC