You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision

elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Treated myself to a new lappy this week. It's got Vista pre-loaded and it's quite a change from XP and I love it. The problem is I've been playing with it now for 36 hours and my eyesight is failing. Also, I've had 3 sky and 3 other tables on the screen together and it worked just fine.

Now I can lose 4 or 5 times faster than I could before. That's progress.

Comments

• Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2009
    Vista is nice, new Windows coming soon. Like you we have just got a new lappy, cetainly makes things smooth! I can now lose with style lol
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision:
    Treated myself to a new lappy this week. It's got Vista pre-loaded and it's quite a change from XP and I love it. The problem is I've been playing with it now for 36 hours and my eyesight is failing. Also, I've had 3 sky and 3 other tables on the screen together and it worked just fine. Now I can lose 4 or 5 times faster than I could before. That's progress.
    Posted by elsadog
    Is it the content that you are viewing that has caused the failing eyesight.

I had heard it can make you blind, but had never believed it before!

36 hours is amazing as well, where's my hubby, he needs to see this and learn.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision:
    In Response to Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : Is it the content that you are viewing that has caused the failing eyesight. I had heard it can make you blind, but had never believed it before! 36 hours is amazing as well, where's my hubby, he needs to see this and learn.
    Posted by Hale72
    The next stage is the dreaded palm-warts......yuk!

ps. I really do work with the CPS :)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : The next stage is the dreaded palm-warts......yuk! ps. I really do work with the CPS :)
    Posted by elsadog
    Already noted in player notes. MUST be careful in future.

I have the right to remain silent and all that, or do I anymore?? I seemed to remember reading some years ago that has been dropped.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Makes no difference if you do remain silent. You are assumed guilty from the outset until proved otherwise. Different to all other aspects of law. So whatever you do we still gotcha.

On a serious note it's a massive, massive problem nowadays. 3 kids a week on average are abused by their close family. Our society is in a terrible state.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I perfectly agree, modern day society has a lot to answer for. Hope you didnt take too much regard of my recent post on the subject.

I also read somewhere, (forgive my second hand knowledge) that, on average, there is one registered sax offender in every street. I'm sorry it has to be a sax offender, the other word wasn't allowed.

As the mother of a two year old little boy, some stories I hear horrify me and have literally bought me to tears. It's amazing what being a parent does to you. Before, yes, I felt for them but never to the stage where I broke down.

My son starts nursery school in two months and although I have every faith that every member of staff has been thoroughly vetted, the prospect keeps me awake some nights. (hence my recent post at 2.35am!!)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I perfectly agree, modern day society has a lot to answer for. Hope you didnt take too much regard of my recent post on the subject. I also read somewhere, (forgive my second hand knowledge) that, on average, there is one registered sax offender in every street. I'm sorry it has to be a sax offender, the other word wasn't allowed. As the mother of a two year old little boy, some stories I hear horrify me and have literally bought me to tears. It's amazing what being a parent does to you. Before, yes, I felt for them but never to the stage where I broke down. My son starts nursery school in two months and although I have every faith that every member of staff has been thoroughly vetted, the prospect keeps me awake some nights. (hence my recent post at 2.35am!!)
    Posted by Hale72
    The sad truth of the matter is that the biggest threat is from the child's own family. Although stories such as the recent day nursery scandal hit the headlines and the media put forward the view that every street has a sax offender, these are, in the scale of things, very isolated. Children are saxually abused, physically abused and suffer from neglect at the hands of their own family in 99.9% of cases. The most damaging, although it's the least horrendous in most peoples view, is neglect. What you read in the newspapers can make you weep but what happens every day of the week in childrens' own homes beggars belief sometimes.

Yes there are p/philes out there but the biggest danger comes from Mum and Dad. (and yes I do mean 'Mum').
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : The sad truth of the matter is that the biggest threat is from the child's own family. Although stories such as the recent day nursery scandal hit the headlines and the media put forward the view that every street has a sax offender, these are in the scale of things very isolated. Children are saxually abused, physically abused and suffer from neglect at the hands of their own family in 99.9% of cases. The most damaging, although it's the least horrendous in most peoples view, is neglect. What you read in the newspapers can make you weep but what happens every day of the week in childrens' own homes beggars belief sometimes. Yes there are p/philes out there but the biggest danger comes from Mum and Dad. (and yes I do mean 'Mum').
    Posted by elsadog
    Baby P: perfect case in point. I literally cried for days, every time i picked up a paper.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Certainly a serious change of subject from Vista!

Keep up the good work Elsa :)

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Certainly a serious change of subject from Vista! Keep up the good work Elsa :)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    I know, I seriously need to get back to the tables/and/or change the subject. Eyes slightly red now, if you forgive my girlie behaviour!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Certainly a serious change of subject from Vista! Keep up the good work Elsa :)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Supposed to be my day off......must stop taking work home with me.

Anyway back on subject..................I've got a cracking headache - can I sue Microsoft? My new lappy is a Dell Studio with 5 gigs or something and a dual-core something or other. All I know is it works fantastic, and because it runs on that new fangled electricity it'll keep the gas bill down compared to my old lappy.

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,168
    edited October 2009
    Don't start me on Vista! It's utter junk, even worse than M.E (remember that rubbish?!), one of Microsoft's biggest flops. If you have the choice then stick to XP Pro. If you really want to stick with Vista then upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as you can - it'll improve things considerably. If you're on XP Pro there's not much point moving to W7, unless you want the fancy new toolbar! lol
    I don't think even one unit leaves this place (my business) with Vista on - everyone 'downgrades' (it's an upgrade in reality lol) to XP Pro, as the majority of kit now come with both initially as Vista is so generally despised.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Horseless carriages Bah!  Hogwash!  They'll never catch on!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : Supposed to be my day off......must stop taking work home with me. Anyway back on subject..................I've got a cracking headache - can I sue Microsoft? My new lappy is a Dell Studio with 5 gigs or something and a dual-core something or other. All I know is it works fantastic, and because it runs on that new fangled electricity it'll keep the gas bill down compared to my old lappy.
    Posted by elsadog
    Well I had to work hard at the coal face to power my old boy lol
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't start me on Vista! It's utter junk, even worse than M.E (remember that rubbish?!), one of Microsoft's biggest flops. If you have the choice then stick to XP Pro. If you really want to stick with Vista then upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as you can - it'll improve things considerably. If you're on XP Pro there's not much point moving to W7, unless you want the fancy new toolbar! lol I don't think even one unit leaves this place (my business) with Vista on - everyone 'downgrades' (it's an upgrade in reality lol) to XP Pro, as the majority of kit now come with both initially as Vista is so generally despised.  
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    didnt know you ran a comp' business El! good contact to have ;)....How do you go about vista to Windows 7? 
    Dave
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : Supposed to be my day off......must stop taking work home with me. Anyway back on subject..................I've got a cracking headache - can I sue Microsoft? My new lappy is a Dell Studio with 5 gigs or something and a dual-core something or other. All I know is it works fantastic, and because it runs on that new fangled electricity it'll keep the gas bill down compared to my old lappy.
    Posted by elsadog
    Oh! and I forgot the best bit.............IT'S GOT A COLOURED LID!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Arrggghhh I've got Vista vision : didnt know you ran a comp' business El! good contact to have ;)....How do you go about vista to Windows 7?  Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Don't ask me lol, gave up the technical side of things years ago before Windows polluted the Earth. My backgrounds in low-level coding.

Nowadays I leave the technical stuff to the younguns lol I have no patience for the stupidities of Windows.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I have absolutely no idea what you all are talking about! I bought my laptop from P.C. world, switched it on and hey presto. I have the net!

How do you get this other stuff I hear so much about? Is it any good, does it cost much?

Don't have a clue what I am 'running' at the minute but the sticker on my laptop says 'Windows Vista'. Is this any good or are there better? If so, where do I get it from, and how do I put it on?

Really hate to sound so thick but back in my day the only 'computer' in my parents house had cartridges where I could play 'ping pong'. Yes that was even before Space Invaders and Pac Man came along.

I just about managed to get my head round that!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Although on my last P.C. I felt the media player ran/looked better. Is this part of the same thing?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't have a clue what I am 'running' at the minute but the sticker on my laptop says 'Windows Vista'. Is this any good or are there better? If so, where do I get it from, and how do I put it on?
    Posted by Hale72
    If you have no issues - don't mess with it! :-)