You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

why so many donkeys

MAZERAIDERMAZERAIDER Member Posts: 72
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat

now i never moan (much) about bad beats because it happens to us all but why do these donkeys play, thay must be putting money on the site all the time. i just played a game got delt a k suited, blinds were 25/50 i raised 300 got 1 caller flop was A/3/7 RAINBOW so i raised 900 got reraised 1000 so i called, turn was 5 went all in for the rest of my chips, got called he turned over A 6 ON THE RIVER WAS A 4 now i dont mind getting beat by a better hand but these so called players (donkeys) why be in the hand in the first place, he had called off all his chips with A 6 after a raise u cant beat it. We do need some higher buy ins to get rid of this rubbish, i did watch the final of veva vegas thats the sort of play i would like to play, buy in would not matter, just a good game of poker is that to much to ask.

Comments

• maccolmaccol Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2009
    In Response to why so many donkeys:
     now i never moan (much) about bad beats because it happens to us all but why do these donkeys play, thay must be putting money on the site all the time. i just played a game got delt a k suited, blinds were 25/50 i raised 300 got 1 caller flop was A/3/7 RAINBOW so i raised 900 got reraised 1000 so i called, turn was 5 went all in for the rest of my chips, got called he turned over A 6 ON THE RIVER WAS A 4 now i dont mind getting beat by a better hand but these so called players (donkeys) why be in the hand in the first place, he had called off all his chips with A 6 after a raise u cant beat it. We do need some higher buy ins to get rid of this rubbish, i did watch the final of veva vegas thats the sort of play i would like to play, buy in would not matter, just a good game of poker is that to much to ask.
    Posted by MAZERAIDER
    Dont you want someone calling you with A6 when you have AK?
  • phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2009
    It's frustrating but why tap the tank? ;)
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,859
    edited June 2009

A-K - V A-6?

BEG them to Call you. All day long.

Now & then you'll get sucked out. Be grateful, because most times you win this coup.

It's THE dream match-up - to dominate your Opponent.

Oh, & it happens at ALL Levels of Poker, including Big-Buy-In Live Events.

The more the merrier.

Forget the Short-Term, think of the Long-Term.
    edited June 2009

Oh, & as a point of etiquette, we don't usually refer to our opponents as "donkeys". It is rather rude, let's be honest.

And why be rude to those who feed us? I want to keep them sweet, so they call again with A-5!
  • MAZERAIDERMAZERAIDER Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2009
    thanks for the feed back but i think the point i was making was that it would be nice to have a game of poker where you do not get players calling all in when the blinds are 10/20 with there 1500 chips. Now i can play at any card room and not get these things happen as much as it does on line, and i understand that if they go out of a torney they can just buy in to another one while in there armchair for a tenner but if you were to buy in for £100 i dont think it would happen as much, it would hurt there pockets, still who am i to complain i get my fair share of the cake. it just would be nice to play a game where players thought a bit more about there hands, lets be honest we are never going to make a fortune at these levels, so why not have a good game. O and i ment donkeys in a plesent way
  • BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009

There are plenty of people who have made fortunes in their career/business, then just play small-stakes for recreation in retirement. I know a couple on this site alone. If they lose, these millionaires are called 'donks' 'fish' 'mugs' etc.

Isn't this a bit laughable? The millionaire being called a mug punter by the guy without a pot to water?

• bonniedogbonniedog Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2009
    Got to agree with mazeraider, there are pleanty of Donkeys on Sky and I love it.
  • TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys:
    Got to agree with mazeraider, there are pleanty of Donkeys on Sky and I love it.
    Posted by bonniedog
    i had aa in the big blind and utg limps in ,the blinds r 15 30 ,i raise it 2 300 and get RE RAISED 2 600 ,obviously i go allin and he CALLS with j4 ?  bad play 2 say the least flop comes JJJ and im out of the tourny .                                                   this seems 2 be happenin far 2 much on the site ,and bad players or newbies think they have playd well and continue 2 play this way,my own opinion is that bad play on this site is not punished enough 4 people 2 learn from thier own mistakes .so it looks like we r going to b callin bad players donkeys in the chat box 4 a long time 2 come
    edited June 2009
    There are plenty of people who have made fortunes in their career/business, then just play small-stakes for recreation in retirement. I know a couple on this site alone. If they lose, these millionaires are called 'donks' 'fish' 'mugs' etc. Isn't this a bit laughable? The millionaire being called a mug punter by the guy without a pot to water?
    Posted by BigBluster
    GREAT POST. You Sir, I love.
  • MAZERAIDERMAZERAIDER Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2009
    i just love getting people to think and i must say that i enjoy the poker on this site greatly, and you have to admit is does wind you up but who am i, just one of you guys so now thats done and dusted, what about having some larger prizepools on a sat or sunday morning, i can only find small torneys early at the weekend. Lets say from 9am onwards im sure there are lots of people just sitting around looking for a nice game or two before the wifes /husbands /partners collar them to go to b and q for some d i y. 
  • VIRUSXXXVIRUSXXX Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2009

Playing devils advocate here....

Who calls a 6x BB raise, against a tag and in position ,having determined a definitive range of their opponents holdings?

O yes and couple of quick questions -

Stacks were?
    His position?
    Your first bet, was it for value or to win it there and then?

• rsssfcs05rsssfcs05 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2009
     Igot called with 93 off and had ka suited and got done thats the game bingo callers always win on here
    n Response to why so many donkeys:
    Posted by MAZERAIDER
  • col66col66 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2009
     Igot called with 93 off and had ka suited and got done thats the game bingo callers always win on here n Response to why so many donkeys :
    Posted by rsssfcs05
    Why so many donkeys?? jeeze...why so many moaners!!

Im newish started from scratch in January. Lost more than ive won but learning all the time. The one thing Ive learnt for sure is that having the best hand DOES NOT entitle you to win the hand! You may have better odds, more chips, more experience but there is NO ENTITLEMENT!

Ive lost with AA ive won with 23, I also know ive been beaten by the worst hand cus theyve had more chips and I don't wanna lose mine etc etc etc.

So........ as this is a great game for ALL not just guys with the experience and the money... IF im short stacked or gotta go wash up or bored or tilting or as TK says doing it first so I dont have any decisions to make...IF i wanna go all in with 7,5 pre flop then yeah, 'shame on me'.....

........IF with your big stacks and years of experience (and lets face it, sometimes large egos) want to call me and you lose, AND then call me a donkey because you lost ..........well

.......SHAME ON YOU!!

Great forum by the way...very entertaining and picked up lots of tips! xxx
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys : Why so many donkeys?? jeeze...why so many moaners!! Im newish started from scratch in January. Lost more than ive won but learning all the time. The one thing Ive learnt for sure is that having the best hand DOES NOT entitle you to win the hand! You may have better odds, more chips, more experience but there is NO ENTITLEMENT! Ive lost with AA ive won with 23, I also know ive been beaten by the worst hand cus theyve had more chips and I don't wanna lose mine etc etc etc. So........ as this is a great game for ALL not just guys with the experience and the money... IF im short stacked or gotta go wash up or bored or tilting or as TK says doing it first so I dont have any decisions to make...IF i wanna go all in with 7,5 pre flop then yeah, 'shame on me'..... ........IF with your big stacks and years of experience (and lets face it, sometimes large egos) want to call me and you lose, AND then call me a donkey because you lost ..........well .......SHAME ON YOU!! Great forum by the way...very entertaining and picked up lots of tips! xxx
    Posted by col66
    Nice first Post col.
  • jimmyp88jimmyp88 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2009

Bear in mind, AK beats A6 most of the time, we already know that. But I think we always are more likely to moan about these hands than we are to brag when we flop a full house or quads or something. I just think its a human thing to recall the bad experiences much easier than good experiences. I can see why its annoying, but bear in mind being in the lead is not the same as having won!

Oh and Tikay thankyou for talking through my hand last night on Bounty Hunter. Your remark that I was too passive with pocket 9's was agreed by myself looking back on it, but there was a reason!

• bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys : Nice first Post col.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The thing i don't understand about some players  is this, in my opinion most are playing "The Modern Game" and as i said in a previous post "depending on what stage of a tournament it is, this has become standard play", "Shut your eyes ,shove all-in and look to see what way the chips go" ??? 
    As ive said many times to players, "If you don't want a caller then don't put all your chips in play to cost you the tournament" and then moan afterwards !!!!
    It's fact,  that players have to gamble sometimes, for many reasons, mainly because they have'drawn a line in the sand' and said like Custer did in the Battle of the Little Big Horn,.. "Hang on Lads ive had an Idea" !! What ?? , ooh  yes that  was Michael Caine in "The Italian Job"..But the point is this, over the many years that ive been playing various games the one thing ive learned, is that this game is for pleasure and have fun. Ive made many friends and had so many laughs, you will understand as in life this game is made to be enjoyed, sure it's an emotional game ..
    Ultimately "leave yourself outs, and play for the TURN Card"..Maybe one day I'll explain that phrase but try not to moan , that's   my   mrs job !!

glk bennydip2
    edited June 2009
    Bear in mind, AK beats A6 most of the time, we already know that. But I think we always are more likely to moan about these hands than we are to brag when we flop a full house or quads or something. I just think its a human thing to recall the bad experiences much easier than good experiences. I can see why its annoying, but bear in mind being in the lead is not the same as having won! Oh and Tikay thankyou for talking through my hand last night on Bounty Hunter. Your remark that I was too passive with pocket 9's was agreed by myself looking back on it, but there was a reason!
    Posted by jimmyp88
    Thanks Jimmy.

Yes, as we agreed, I think the optimal play there with 9-9 was to Jam.  But I fancy he's have looked you up anyway, so the outcome would be the same. But, 8 times out of 10 in that spot, you win if you Jam.

Thanls for the e-mail to the Show. With e-Mails, we don't need a script, & it brings the Show an extra dimension, I think.

Did you see that Dan Johnson outfit Orford was wearing? A shocker. So 80's.
  • jimmyp88jimmyp88 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2009
    I had 3 hours of Orford's outfit! Contemplated adjusting my set!

Yes my reason (going off topic of "donkeys" in poker) for not just shoving them all in was that the hand before I had Kings and pushed all in, it folded round and I picked up blinds. The hand before that I had 9's again and pushed all in and doubled up! I was worried that 3 pushes in a row would have incited 5 callers thinking I had nothing and was bluffing! The person that called had been loose (very understated) all game but tended to fold against an all-in, so that was my justification. As it turned out, his hand was not so bad, but there you go!

Bit gutted I didn't win that book!
  • scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited June 2009
    so  that  y you  tell them  how good there  hand  is  whether  its  caSH OR  TOURNEYS   say how  well there played   last thing u want  is them to leave the table
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    there are no nutters on this site!