You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

why so many donkeys

2»

Comments

• bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2009
    Nice comment Col.

People will play all sorts of hands for all sorts of reasons whether 'we' thinks them to be donkeys or not.

I think back to when I first started playing the game and would limp into pots a lot of the time only for some one to raise X3 pre flop (me folding to the raise) only for them to fold post flop and I used to think what on earth did you raise in the first place for?

Education comes with experience. We all got to start somewhere.

If I had a pound for everytime I'd lost to a 'donk' hand I'd be 3 quid behind Tikay!!

note the the sky poker bods......why is the haitch eeee ell ell word prohibited on here?
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    if we had no so called "donkeys" we would all be good poker players that all have a good game of good. well played poker-----BUT----would we have any money?---my guess is not a lot---and i agree with tikay--it is rude to call our profit providers "donkeys" --what do you want to do ? encourage them to play properly and take all your chips?--oynutter--lol

• DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys:
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys : The thing i don't understand about some players  is this, in my opinion most are playing "The Modern Game" and as i said in a previous post "depending on what stage of a tournament it is, this has become standard play", "Shut your eyes ,shove all-in and look to see what way the chips go" ???  As ive said many times to players, "If you don't want a caller then don't put all your chips in play to cost you the tournament" and then moan afterwards !!!! It's fact,  that players have to gamble sometimes, for many reasons, mainly because they have'drawn a line in the sand' and said like Custer did in the Battle of the Little Big Horn,.. "Hang on Lads ive had an Idea" !! What ?? , ooh  yes that  was Michael Caine in "The Italian Job"..But the point is this, over the many years that ive been playing various games the one thing ive learned, is that this game is for pleasure and have fun. Ive made many friends and had so many laughs, you will understand as in life this game is made to be enjoyed, sure it's an emotional game .. Ultimately "leave yourself outs, and play for the TURN Card"..Maybe one day I'll explain that phrase but try not to moan , that's   my   mrs job !! glk bennydip2
    Posted by bennydip2
    Yes good point ive had a terrible run lately by people calling bad hands and pushing with nothing and hitting, to counteract this i am playing for the turn more often and leaving myself more outs than just say having AK hitting the A or K on the fop and raising only to be put all in by a rag then being sucked out by the lower kicker for 2 pair. I find slow playing pairs are much safer and let them do the betting and if you still think your ahead by the turn or river push then.
  • RESTORMELRESTORMEL Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys:
    In Response to Re: why so many donkeys : Yes good point ive had a terrible run lately by people calling bad hands and pushing with nothing and hitting, to counteract this i am playing for the turn more often and leaving myself more outs than just say having AK hitting the A or K on the fop and raising only to be put all in by a rag then being sucked out by the lower kicker for 2 pair. I find slow playing pairs are much safer and let them do the betting and if you still think your ahead by the turn or river push then.
    Posted by Dazler
    I agree Dazler, this small ball approach helps reduce your losses on those turn/river suck outs which seem to happen when you get it all in pre or on the flop.  If villain is betting big or check raising the turn/river then he usually has something and if I havent got at least KK or better by the turn, or some outstanding reads on villain as a serial bluffer or likely on a draw, then I'm usually looking for a better spot (I like Harringtons mantra small hands = small pot, big hand = big pot).  He may be pushing me off the best hand, but in my experience, he has it more often than he doesn't.  With this approach I know I'm losing some value when my hand is good, but losing my whole stack to runner runner is less likely to happen.  Also playing this way really helps to improve your  hand reading skills and also means you can pick off villains river bluffs when its so obvious that he has missed

With regard to the original post, I actively seek out these loose calling players, in the long run they are the players that feed my bankroll.  If they want to call a 5x BB raise with A 6, good for them, but in the long run better for me!!  Sure they may have their day in the sun when the deck hits them hard time and again for a session or two, but this just encourages them to keep making these baaaad plays, and they WILL end up donating their winnings and more back.  By seeking them out, hopefully they will be donating to me.

All the best

Restormel
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009
    Try this one, I think it borders the thin line between genius and lunacy.....

Last night's Forun Deepie - Blinds 300/600 Ten handed.

I'm UTG - 12k stack, find AA, raise to 1800.
    1 mid position caller, button shoves all in for his 15k
    I call, initial caller folds. He turns over 99.

My point is this. Why risk so much of your stack on this kind of move? My UTG raise should've meant something I hope. If he wants to squeeze, surely a raise of 5-6k is enough? Then I re-pop and he can fold still with 9k back.

The outcome of the hand is irrelevant here, but he spiked a straight to knock me out :-(