You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you gauge how good you are?

margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi people from poker cyberspace,

Just wanted to know how can you gauge how good a player you are? ...... Probably a daft question so i do apologize in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited October 2009
    Hi margatemaf

No question is a daft question, In my opinion, it is difficult to gauge how good a player you are, why?, because poker is a game of learning, and however good you percieve yourself, or others percieve you to be, you can always improve.

Poker is one big learning curve, there are always things you can hear, and think, youi know I think it would work better like that, or see someone make a play and think, wow wonder why she/he did that.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for :)

P.S. I think its a great question actualy :)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lol not quite the answer but still a **** good reply anyway that makes a lot of sense, i just wondered if there was some sort of test or special way to help you get an idea thats all.

i watch the poker on sky 166 quite a lot ( but will be watching it on 865 now, i know its there lol ) and i was watching phil ivey in the aussie poker million and he raised straight to 35k with a 1k and 2k blind with 5 & 8, me personally i would of mucked and thought at the time it was shown what a daft move from such a good player! but it did the trick everyone folded. So i guess it's all about opinions really at the end of the day :)
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you gauge how good you are?:
    Lol not quite the answer but still a **** good reply anyway that makes a lot of sense, i just wondered if there was some sort of test or special way to help you get an idea thats all. i watch the poker on sky 166 quite a lot ( but will be watching it on 865 now, i know its there lol ) and i was watching phil ivey in the aussie poker million and he raised straight to 35k with a 1k and 2k blind with 5 & 8, me personally i would of mucked and thought at the time it was shown what a daft move from such a good player! but it did the trick everyone folded. So i guess it's all about opinions really at the end of the day :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    Hi
    Please please dont think that watching a programme that is edited that the corrcet thing to do is play those sort of hands. It could have taken taken Ivey ages to set that play up, by table image etc. plus he normally plays against top players who CAN lay hands down, it makes a big difference.
    If you want to then enjoy the game, play at a level where your bankroll can servive, and dont worry how good you are, or how you stack up against others.
    col
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited October 2009
    Lol not quite the answer but still a **** good reply anyway that makes a lot of sense, i just wondered if there was some sort of test or special way to help you get an idea thats all. i watch the poker on sky 166 quite a lot ( but will be watching it on 865 now, i know its there lol ) and i was watching phil ivey in the aussie poker million and he raised straight to 35k with a 1k and 2k blind with 5 & 8, me personally i would of mucked and thought at the time it was shown what a daft move from such a good player! but it did the trick everyone folded. So i guess it's all about opinions really at the end of the day :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    Hi

Lol you hit the nail right on the head, who is to say the way you play is right, or wrong, its your money, yes I would suggest watching 865, the advice is invaluble.

Good luck on the tables
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2009
    i do think the best bit of advice is.....wait for it.............patience (forum cringes)
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2009
    Whether you go to heaven? lol

If we talking poker, then you could measure it in terms of results / profits / size of bankroll / how well you do against experienced players / how many times you make the right decisions (looking over your hand histories)
  • Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited October 2009
    One possible way of gauging how good you are is the dreaded sharkscope. I know it gets alot of bad press, but it can act as a useful tool for gauging success and your overall ability as a poker.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited October 2009
    In Response to How do you gauge how good you are?:
    Hi people from poker cyberspace, Just wanted to know how can you gauge how good a player you are? ...... Probably a daft question so i do apologize in advance :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    when you , i and most players on here are novices,

it is best to play as straight forward as possible and not try the phil ivey pro tricks .

lol ok maybe just a little .

i find www.sharkscope.com is a good way to track ones  progress ,

it can help with viewing what games that one is making profit on .

plus it gives 5 free player searchs and you dont need to sign up.

personally i find it keeps me from tilting .

when looking at  good runs on it and the bad runs, it can eleviate fears of 1 thinking there game has gone sour .

hope this will help

.p.s. hope you enjoy playing on sky it tops for good banter on the tables
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited October 2009
    I personally think longeivety is the key to a good poker player.  Bankrolls can be deceiving.....someone can have 1 good night (mixing the luck and skill) and win the open (for example).  It doesnt make them a good player. Over time, I believe the old saying of 'cream rising to the top'.  If u can last in this game in profit (sometimes a very decent profit) and not go bust I would gauge u as a good or better player.  Using sharkscope gives a bit of help but remember it doesnt include any cash games so stats are deceiving there as well.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    its simples, are you in profit or out of profit, then you have your answer.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks for all the replies lol it does exactly what it says on the tin in here don't it lol :))))
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited October 2009
    how  much  money  your   makeing
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited October 2009
        I think personally that the question itself is misleading. The thing is with poker that we mainly do it for fun and to try to make a bit of money as well.  My suggestion to anyone would be to find out what their game is.  Whether it be cash, stt or mtt. Then work out what blind stuctures you prefer from turbo stt to slow deepstacks. When you have sorted that out then you need to find out what level to play at, buy ins etc. Then you can maximise your fun/profit on the tables. In my opinion it is better to play for 8 hours and make £1 profit whilst having fun, than to play for 8 hours and make £500 profit but not enjoy it.  To recap do not worry about how good you are, instead try to have as much fun as possible. Hope this helps
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited October 2009
    DONT TRY TO WORKOUT HOW GOOD YOU ARE JUST ENJOY THE GAME. IF YOU THINK YOUR PLAYING WELL THATS GOOD ENOUGH THE SITES MENTIONED ABOVE ARE GOOD TO SEE WHAT PLAYERS MAY BE LIKE IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED THEM BEFORE BUT ITS VERY EASY TO GET A BIT OBSESSED WITH TRYING TO IMPROVE YOUR RATING ON THEM 
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited October 2009

Very difficult to measure. Most world champions have been broke at some point, or go broke after winning.

The person considered by many the best of all time, Stu Ungar the multiple WSOP champion, had only 400 dollars to his name when he died. Even I've made more from poker than that!

If you can beat the rake, you get free entertainment and should be happy with that.

• Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2009
    i do think the best bit of advice is.....wait for it.............patience (forum cringes)
    Posted by webby234
    Is that having it...or playing it, Webby?   lol
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited October 2009
    In Response to How do you gauge how good you are?:
    Hi people from poker cyberspace, Just wanted to know how can you gauge how good a player you are? ...... Probably a daft question so i do apologize in advance :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    How long is a piece of string?
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited October 2009

For me, the only way to answer that question is by answering this one: Am I achieving my objective?

If you are, then congratulations, you are a good player!

E.g, if you want to make money, see if you are in profit overall from all your play (and if you are making as much as you wanted to).

If you wanted to have fun, are you having fun when you play?

If you are a crazy philanthropist who has decided to give his fortune away on the poker tables, please join us on the £11 dym's. 8- />

In short, it's like anything in life, if you are finding contentment in what you are doing, then you are a good player.
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited October 2009
    For me, the only way to answer that question is by answering this one: Am I achieving my objective? If you are, then congratulations, you are a good player! E.g, if you want to make money, see if you are in profit overall from all your play (and if you are making as much as you wanted to). If you wanted to have fun, are you having fun when you play? If you are a crazy philanthropist who has decided to give his fortune away on the poker tables, please join us on the £11 dym's. 8- /> In short, it's like anything in life, if you are finding contentment in what you are doing, then you are a good player.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Excellent post Sir!

I started playing poker to have fun and continue because the game is enjoyable and sociable. If i win, its a bonus...However, when i try to take it too seriously i lose the fun factor and i also start losing money. This is not fun, and quite frankly id rather break even and have fun, than win a lot and be miserable...