You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you gauge how good you are?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
    edited October 2009
    here here gregg, you gotta enjoy the game for what it is  "a game"
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited October 2009
    . In my opinion it is better to play for 8 hours and make £1 profit whilst having fun, than to play for 8 hours and make £500 profit but not enjoy it.

How ever much I try to agree with this statement.  I cannot, and doubt I ever will.  lol
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    You are a good player if when the chips/money goes in, you are ahead.

You will get a string of rivers when you get it in as an 80pc favourite on the turn, and lose on a the river. 

However if you play loads and loads of hands, getting it in as a favourite, even if it is only as a 1pc favourite, then you will be a long term winner.

Poker is about the long term.
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited October 2009
    This is a difficult question to answer and has had various replies from some of the better players on the site.
    I only play for fun and if I make a small profit at the end of the month then I know that I have played well during that month and I always enjoy playing.
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited October 2009
    deposit 100 quid in your bankroll----play away----only ever risking 3% of your roll on tournaments---2% on cash games, if you turn a profit in 90% of the months you play, then you are not a bad player---if you double up in 90% of the months, then i think you are a good player---if you turn any profit at all, then you have the potential to become a good player---if you go bust--its back to the drawing board and dont deposit again untill you have taken steps to improve your game---hope this helps---good luck at the tables