You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable

2»

Comments

• SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable:
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable : PM sent Al
    Posted by scouse_red
    is this likely 2 improve my issues?

bought as new lappy a week a go, at first it struggled wiv 6 tables, funnily enuf why i bought it, now it's on a go slow wiv 4 tables, incredibly annoying. and ofc the problem only applies when playin on sky, every other site if fine

any help appreciated
  • Die_hardDie_hard Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011
    This is a reply to a message I sent about the problems I have from an I.T. CONSULTANT friend of mine who plays poker (there are lots of people having this exact same problem - IT IS AN ISSUE WITH SKY POKER, WHY WON'T THE SITE ADMIT IT AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT LIKE OTHER SITES HAVE!?!?!?):-

That is definitely Sky at fault there. You have a Core 2 Quad which is some pretty serious beef for a laptop, I just checked some reviews on the laptop and it can handle Crysis at 15 frames per second so the video card has some meat as well. And although you have 4GB RAM installed, the laptop will only recognise anything less than 4GB because Windows 32-bit can't read the full 4GB and laptop motherboards rarely have the equipment to handle that as a consequence.

So I wouldn't go out buying more RAM because the laptop won't recognise it. 4GB+ is more for Desktop PCs with Windows 64-bit editions. I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Sky Poker to see if it removes an offending Registry entry and then being a fresh install the new Registry entry will not consume so much CPU time.

If that doesn't work you might want to consider leaving Sky Poker because if it is always causing the CPU to work at 90%-100% then it can reduce the life of the laptop through heat fatigue. There is no point playing the cards on a site or app if you could lose your stack because of the freezing. If you do leave Sky Poker, remember to tell them their software is cr ap, they might take it on board and do something about it in the future.

I assume you bought the laptop in 2009? Try giving it a clean up as well... just back up everything you want to keep onto a USB or DVD, then reinstall windows fresh. Select the option to keep nothing so it is like having a new laptop. That'll remove so much junk that accumulates to slow a computer down and you decide then what was essential to use and only install those.

PS. If you have McAfee or Norton etc... cancel your subscription by contacting them, and then go and download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is Anti0-virus, Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware and it is free of charge. It works very well with both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. They score well in independent tests and the work quicker than the commercial rivals because lets be honest, nobody knows the inner workings of Windows better than Microsoft.

Essentially, if the Poker app still plays up after uninstalling/reinstalling or even rebuilding the Windows operating system then there is nothing that will help apart from an program update from Sky which may not come for while. I haven't played online in a long time, but I use to go on Full Tilt Poker, PokerStars and William Hill. They were very good at the time, but PokerStars wasn't signed up for any "Rake Back" deals like Full Tilt and William Hill were... they just had the most muppets who played when drunk so was easy money lol...

Edit: Looking at league tables I am in the top 10/15 rakers on this entire site, however, after playing elsewhere for the last week, like 3 people (other high rakers) I already mentioned, I won't be playing here anymore either DUE TO THE SITE BEING UNPLAYABLE WHEN MULTI-ING NUMEROUS TABLES BECAUSE OF THE CPU USAGE THIS SITE USES - BOTH THE DOWNLOADABLE VERSION AND PLAYING ON THE POKER WEBSITE CLIENT 'LIVE' ONLINE.
  • jimifloydjimifloyd Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable:
    This is a reply to a message I sent about the problems I have from an I.T. CONSULTANT friend of mine who plays poker ( there are lots of people having this exact same problem - IT IS AN ISSUE WITH SKY POKER, WHY WON'T THE SITE ADMIT IT AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT LIKE OTHER SITES HAVE!?!?!?):- That is definitely Sky at fault there. You have a Core 2 Quad which is some pretty serious beef for a laptop, I just checked some reviews on the laptop and it can handle Crysis at 15 frames per second so the video card has some meat as well. And although you have 4GB RAM installed, the laptop will only recognise anything less than 4GB because Windows 32-bit can't read the full 4GB and laptop motherboards rarely have the equipment to handle that as a consequence. So I wouldn't go out buying more RAM because the laptop won't recognise it. 4GB+ is more for Desktop PCs with Windows 64-bit editions. I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Sky Poker to see if it removes an offending Registry entry and then being a fresh install the new Registry entry will not consume so much CPU time. If that doesn't work you might want to consider leaving Sky Poker because if it is always causing the CPU to work at 90%-100% then it can reduce the life of the laptop through heat fatigue. There is no point playing the cards on a site or app if you could lose your stack because of the freezing. If you do leave Sky Poker, remember to tell them their software is cr ap, they might take it on board and do something about it in the future. I assume you bought the laptop in 2009? Try giving it a clean up as well... just back up everything you want to keep onto a USB or DVD, then reinstall windows fresh. Select the option to keep nothing so it is like having a new laptop. That'll remove so much junk that accumulates to slow a computer down and you decide then what was essential to use and only install those. PS. If you have McAfee or Norton etc... cancel your subscription by contacting them, and then go and download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is Anti0-virus, Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware and it is free of charge. It works very well with both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. They score well in independent tests and the work quicker than the commercial rivals because lets be honest, nobody knows the inner workings of Windows better than Microsoft. Essentially, if the Poker app still plays up after uninstalling/reinstalling or even rebuilding the Windows operating system then there is nothing that will help apart from an program update from Sky which may not come for while. I haven't played online in a long time, but I use to go on Full Tilt Poker, PokerStars and William Hill. They were very good at the time, but PokerStars wasn't signed up for any "Rake Back" deals like Full Tilt and William Hill were... they just had the most muppets who played when drunk so was easy money lol... Edit: Looking at league tables I am in the top 10/15 rakers on this entire site, however, after playing elsewhere for the last week, like 3 people (other high rakers) I already mentioned, I won't be playing here anymore either DUE TO THE SITE BEING UNPLAYABLE WHEN MULTI-ING NUMEROUS TABLES BECAUSE OF THE CPU USAGE THIS SITE USES - BOTH THE DOWNLOADABLE VERSION AND PLAYING ON THE POKER WEBSITE CLIENT 'LIVE' ONLINE.
    Posted by Die_hard
    I have a thread on here about the table issues how can a computer i used to 16+ table manage to only be able to 8 table max now?

Answer 1- Because your computer mysteriously downgraded itself during the night while you were asleep.

Answer 2- Because sky's sofware and servers need sorting.

People moaned for the download client ages ago to improve this very problem imo it never did.
    I have always been able to play more tables on the browser version to be honest.

The site used to grind to a halt if more than 4k people were playing at any 1 time during the freeroll frenzies they had a year or so ago.Is this problem fully rectified or is the slowdown related to this issue, seen as though the traffic seems alot higher nowadays?

Someone from sky needs to come out and tell it's customers they have an issue and it will be resolved within a certain timescale.

The funniest thing is, it is in their best interests to resolve the matter. So many people are at breaking point as to staying or leaving as it is certain grinders only source of income and more tables equals more rakeback.
    If sky sort it more people play more tables equaling more rake and more turnover for sky.
    Do they not like money, lol?
    edited November 2011
    I have always been able to play more tables on the browser version to be honest.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    As it happens, even though everything I've been saying about lag etc is on the browser version, it's actually a lot worse on the downloadable version. When using that (which is never now - yes I have deleted/reinstalled it a gazillion times before anyone says again) the lag starts a lot sooner and when playing less tables. So playing either way is rubbish.

P.S. A huge thanks to 'scouse red' for all your help trying to sort this :)
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited November 2011
    Yet I can happily play on here with no problems on a desktop pc with less RAM and only a dual core cpu.

The most cpu usage i've experienced on here is around 30%.

• scouse_redscouse_red Member Posts: 5,968
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable : I have a thread on here about the table issues how can a computer i used to 16+ table manage to only be able to 8 table max now? Answer 1- Because your computer mysteriously downgraded itself during the night while you were asleep. Answer 2- Because sky's sofware and servers need sorting. People moaned for the download client ages ago to improve this very problem imo it never did. I have always been able to play more tables on the browser version to be honest. The site used to grind to a halt if more than 4k people were playing at any 1 time during the freeroll frenzies they had a year or so ago.Is this problem fully rectified or is the slowdown related to this issue, seen as though the traffic seems alot higher nowadays? Someone from sky needs to come out and tell it's customers they have an issue and it will be resolved within a certain timescale. The funniest thing is, it is in their best interests to resolve the matter. So many people are at breaking point as to staying or leaving as it is certain grinders only source of income and more tables equals more rakeback. If sky sort it more people play more tables equaling more rake and more turnover for sky. Do they not like money, lol?
    Posted by jimifloyd
    if it were in fact the case that it was a problem at Sky's end don't you think they would have done something about it by now
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable : if it were in fact the case that it was a problem at Sky's end don't you think they would have done something about it by now
    Posted by scouse_red

It took Betfair over a year to sort it out. Would you really think it would take them that long?

Do you really think so many people with the same problem is just coincidence?

I really appreciate all your help mate but there's lots of people with the same problem. The software lags on BOTH my laptops, I also tried it at work today - guess what lol, yep - lag when starting to multitable.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606
    edited November 2011

I am with a few of the posters on here TBH Chris. It seems, with all these issues, that it must be something from Sky Poker's end of things and not individual's PC's or even ISP's.

I appreciate your help and your time given to advise/help folk out but surely someone from the actual SKY POKER TECH TEAM could come onto this thread and let us know the score/comment on a few of the issues raised?.
  • belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited November 2011
    Yet I can happily play on here with no problems on a desktop pc with less RAM and only a dual core cpu. The most cpu usage i've experienced on here is around 30%.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    1 table 40%+ 2 75%+ 3 off scale on core 2 core 1 60% sky DL only adds 4% extra ram tables an extra 2% never over 55% ram used and i am on sky bb dual core 4gb ram.Most around 30%?? how.
  • ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2011
    This debate has gone on before.

Fact is Sky takes more computer resources than most sites. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with sky software its just way it is. There are plenty of people out there who 8 + table. My computer is 3 years old and can run 18 tables (never tried more) on browser no probs and download runs even better than browser.

So as I have said loads of time to people you got two options 1) improve your pc and/or internet connection or
    2) do nothing and wait for sky to totally redesign their software.

Some people will not like what I have said above but that is the truth. I was once in the same position 3 years ago as you lot I decided to take option 1 and bought a new setup.
    edited November 2011
    This debate has gone on before. Fact is Sky takes more computer resources than most sites. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with sky software its just way it is. There are plenty of people out there who 8 + table. My computer is 3 years old and can run 18 tables (never tried more) on browser no probs and download runs even better than browser. So as I have said loads of time to people you got two options 1) improve your pc and/or internet connection or 2) do nothing and wait for sky to totally redesign their software. Some people will not like what I have said above but that is the truth. I was once in the same position 3 years ago as you lot I decided to take option 1 and bought a new setup.
    Posted by ajs4385
    My bb has been checked and re-checked and fine.Why would i want to spend a load of money upgrading when people with lower spec pc's than mine can play more tables??
  • ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2011
    Theres is something at your end stopping it, just got to figure it out. If it was sky software then no would be able to. Most obv thing is prcessor or memory. But it could be software, hardware faults, bb, firewall issues, cooling issues, 32bit memory limitations  I could go on. 

If it was sky software then no one would be able to 8 + table.
  • jimifloydjimifloyd Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 7 tables ok, 8 tables computer spazes and becomes unplayable : if it were in fact the case that it was a problem at Sky's end don't you think they would have done something about it by now
    Posted by scouse_red
    Are you serious?Ask the regs on this site how many years it took to get the download version out which was supposed to sort these issues out.

I will not buy a third computer when i have 2 already with the same problem that could 16+ table before.

1. amd quad core,win 7,4 gig ram.

2. i5 intel,win 7 ,4 gig of ram.

Also the only city to have its own phoneline-internet monopoly so while your phonelines cater for the country.
    Mine cater just for Hull and surrounding areas.
    In a 2011 survey they came top for speeds and reliability.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a0b0e8696-8d64-4a56-8a74-73ba61953ec6Discussion%3a93a5b942-9bf8-43b6-979a-e5721e96f372

• MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606
    edited November 2011

This part of the forum has been renamed today to take the onus of the TECH support team and land it all back into the path of the unpaid community members.

Still.....we can always ask customer care!

Good luck to anyone with a technical issue now.
    edited November 2011
    This part of the forum has been renamed today to take the onus of the TECH support team and land it all back into the path of the unpaid community members. Still.....we can always ask customer care! Good luck to anyone with a technical issue now.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    LOL...Script's to cover this.
    On more serious note don't like the new name wide brush covers a lot mod's could have a field day any question could end up here!!