You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Must get post count up!

TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
  I must say that it is getting quite ridiculous now. The forum is an important place for the sharing of information etc. But ever since the introduction of the posters freeroll the number of post has gone way up but the quality has gone way down.

You can see it everywhere, people just trawling round the threads and adding meaningless and irrelevant posts to the end just to get their count up. I must admit that i do go round looking at the posts but if i have nothing to add to what has already been said then i will not post a comment.

Please if you are going to do the "get post count up" bit at least put something relevant or witty down.
I live in vain hope that the forum will return to doing what it is supposed to do and not just become a freeroll entry postathon.

P.S.  Am expecting quite a few meaningless and irrelevant posts to be added to this as well.

Comments

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    You might just
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2009
    I have to admit that I do tend to agree with you, there are time that I have signed into the forum only to find the same persons name against every single topic on the page.

The problem is that by typing a message in support of your comment I do not know if you would consider that spamming or not.
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2009
    Agree with most of the points in this thread. Personally I think it is a good thing if the Posters Freeroll brings in some new faces. The frivolous posts will end after the novelty runs out and then we will up the quality with even more members being about now. I think there are more pluses than negatives. Just got to turn a blind eye to blatant spams lol

I have to stay in all day today for delivery of a wardrobe but I will only post when I have an interest in a topic. But that is my privilege.

Guess this means I can play some poker today :)
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009
    well  said  talon
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    pigs are green.

just kidding ;) i think soon enough every post will have a pointless comment by 50 people who  will post on every single thread.If we are rewarded for are relevant posts then great,if not i dont mind that much,its still great fun :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One line answers and meaningless comments were part of the forum long before the forum poster's freeroll. Some of the funniest have been single word replies such as 'spoons' from mr noseybonk. I tend to treat the forum as a tongue in cheek opportunity and I know other REGULAR posters see it the same way. We can be serious when needed, but it has for months now, been lighthearted banter that has kept the forum going. If you get a place in the freeroll for posting on here then great, and if someone feels they need to post in order to get in on the freeroll, well that's up to them. I don't think the 'standard' has dropped. We are seeing new posters on here and that can only be a good thing, and some of those may not have much experience or confidence to start with. Give it time and see what we end up with.

Final point: What is 'meaningless' to one may be interesting to another. I know this is a poker forum but if we only had hand history discussions and 'did I play this right or wrong' threads there would be 4 posts a day with 6 answers each and the rest would be asleep. Everyone has an equal right to post whatever they wish so long as it's not offensive.
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited November 2009
    I have noticed a huge upscale in the number of new threads over the last week.

Usually, it takes a day or two for a thread to drop to page 2.

Now, however, some threads can be on page 2 within an hour of the last post being written.

This does prevent a decent debate from truly getting underway as most of the time, many posters cannot be bothered to look further than the end of their nose for a topic.

However, most of these new threads have been started by regular contributors.

I do however, have a strong wish that new threads are not started until old threads have truly run their course as very often the thread is lost, half way through a decent discussion.

If the posters freeroll is to continue and be effective, surely Sky must find a way to limit the number of new threads made in any one day.

I have just had a look over some old pages. Threads started Thursday last week are now relegated to pages 5 and 6 of the forums, This is absolutely rediculous.
  • Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Must get post count up!:
      I must say that it is getting quite ridiculous now. The forum is an important place for the sharing of information etc. But ever since the introduction of the posters freeroll the number of post has gone way up but the quality has gone way down.     You can see it everywhere, people just trawling round the threads and adding meaningless and irrelevant posts to the end just to get their count up. I must admit that i do go round looking at the posts but if i have nothing to add to what has already been said then i will not post a comment.     Please if you are going to do the "get post count up" bit at least put something relevant or witty down. I live in vain hope that the forum will return to doing what it is supposed to do and not just become a freeroll entry postathon.  P.S.  Am expecting quite a few meaningless and irrelevant posts to be added to this as well.
    Posted by Talon
    HEAR
  • Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Must get post count up!:
    In Response to Must get post count up! : HEAR
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    HEAR
  • Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2009
    Agree with most of the points in this thread. Personally I think it is a good thing if the Posters Freeroll brings in some new faces. The frivolous posts will end after the novelty runs out and then we will up the quality with even more members being about now. I think there are more pluses than negatives. Just got to turn a blind eye to blatant spams lol I have to stay in all day today for delivery of a wardrobe but I will only post when I have an interest in a topic. But that is my privilege. Guess this means I can play some poker today :)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    You have my sympathies!  I spent most of Saturday waiting in for, and then putting together, one of those flat-pack wardrobes for my stepdaughter.  It turned up at 3.00, just in time for me to miss the football scores coming in, and I finished at 10.15 that night.  I don't regard myself as a novice with a screwdriver, but man, that thing took forever and weighed a ton!

PS:  I agree with Talon as far as meaningless posts go, so I hope this doesn't count as frivolous...lol.  At the same time, though, new faces will bring new opinions, fresh ideas and a different slant on things, so can only be a good thing in the long run.
  • Options
    margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2009
    i think elsadog makes a valid point and so does talon. I have seen great replies to threads with just one word answers. But like elsa says who has the right to say that it is a pointless reply. The thing about forums is it's freedom of speech and the right of reply. Me personally i love this forum and have not come across anyone i don't like or found to full of useless information. I am in agreement though posts have gone up, but i also think it will die down once the novelty wears off.

there are so many good posts on this thread, that everyone is right in what they say for and against. But you have to recognize that's the beauty of a forum, another man's rubbish is another mans treasure. You cannot beat a good debate and like taller guy said if it brings in new faces and new opinions so we all will benefit in the long run. But that's just my opinion and i am sure someone will disagree with it, but that's life. How chuffin boring would it be if we agreed with each other all the time!!!
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited November 2009
    The threads have been filling up at a very fast rate recently, but a lot of the time good replies are made by new posters which makes the forum more diverged. Which is better then just hearing the views of the same 10-15 people.
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2009
      I see that i have caused a few problems in what i said mainly due to me not explaining it very well.

Just because a reply is one word long does not make it pointless, there are some great replies that only last for one word. I am only referring to the replies that people put on just to get their post count up.

There are a lot of people who use the forum who deserve to be rewarded for their contributions.  Acebarry for his hard work, merenovice for his superb tactical and mathematical advice, Hale72 for her obvious love of the site and community, Margatemaf for all of his enthusiasm for the game site and community. And not forgetting noseybonk and elsadog for their insanity and silliness which brightens up our days.

I just want to see the right people rewarded, and new people encouraged to use the forum, without the constant over posting of some people just to get a freeroll entry.

Sorry if i missed anyone in my list but it was quickly thrown together, and before anyone asks i do not put myself in the list of people who deserve rewarding.
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2009
    why does anyone need rewarding for having a sense of humour or because they are privileged mathematically or like barry because he loves the community, all of these and many more posters post because they love to post and help others, or maybe to get tips and advice on how to play poker, people keep suggesting rewards for certain people and i dont think they are necessary, we are a friendly community who are to offer advice and have discussions about mostly poker, we dont need to be paid to come here and post we will do it anyway
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    why does anyone need rewarding for having a sense of humour or because they are privileged mathematically or like barry because he loves the community, all of these and many more posters post because they love to post and help others, or maybe to get tips and advice on how to play poker, people keep suggesting rewards for certain people and i dont think they are necessary, we are a friendly community who are to offer advice and have discussions about mostly poker, we dont need to be paid to come here and post we will do it anyway
    Posted by webby234
    A point well made webby!! the posters freeroll is no incentive for me to post as i like being here and doing what i do! i have better things to do with my time than to keep posting for a freeroll tourney i aint never gonna win! i just love you guys!!
  • Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Must get post count up! : A point well made webby!! the posters freeroll is no incentive for me to post as i like being here and doing what i do! i have better things to do with my time than to keep posting for a freeroll tourney i aint never gonna win! i just love you guys!!
    Posted by margatemaf
    Awww....I'm filling up.....
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Must get post count up! : Awww....I'm filling up.....
    Posted by Taller_Guy

aawwww bless youuuu!! lol want a tissue mate? lol
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    hayley makes a good point, that threads are being lost to pages 2 or further back within hours of being posted, because more threads are being created, certainly partly due to the freeroll incentive.  If we want as many different points of view on a debated thread, then we need to have the thread being seen by more people in the first place, and realistically that happens with threads on the front page.  The existence of "sticky" threads proves this.

if we agree that the concept of a posters freeroll is a good idea because it generates more contributors, then i believe the qualifying method should be addressed. By limiting the freeroll to the top 50 posters,  there is immediately a competitive element and that promotes the posting of short " i agree" or "+1" posts to boost ones numbers. 

I propose that a better idea would be a benchmark number of posts to make during the week, that when met, refelcted a significant contribution to the forum and therefore qualification for the freeroll.  Now, i accept this idea is by no means perfect, as posters can still throw in the posts like those above, but i do believe that it would encourage posts with substance, because community members are less concerned about others posting "i agree" a few more times and stealing their place in the freeroll.

Taking the idea a step further (and probably too far because it would demand a lot of work for someone to monitor) qualification for the freeroll could require posting on different sessions e.g someone posting once on 5 out of 7 days (5 posts) getting in ahead of someone that posted 7 times in the space of 5 minutes in one afternoon.

As I say, these ideas are by no means perfect, but i thought I'd share them to add to the debate, which i suppose is the point of the forum thread in the first place.

ray 
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We're going to need a team of accountants to work out whose eligible at this rate. The fuss will die down after a while and only those genuinely interested in the wellbeing of the forum will rise to the top. As much as I agree with a lot of what is being said, it's an open forum and if someone wants to talk about their gas bill, they can.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hayley makes a good point, that threads are being lost to pages 2 or further back within hours of being posted, because more threads are being created, certainly partly due to the freeroll incentive.  If we want as many different points of view on a debated thread, then we need to have the thread being seen by more people in the first place, and realistically that happens with threads on the front page.  The existence of "sticky" threads proves this. if we agree that the concept of a posters freeroll is a good idea because it generates more contributors, then i believe the qualifying method should be addressed. By limiting the freeroll to the top 50 posters,  there is immediately a competitive element and that promotes the posting of short " i agree" or "+1" posts to boost ones numbers.  I propose that a better idea would be a benchmark number of posts to make during the week, that when met, refelcted a significant contribution to the forum and therefore qualification for the freeroll.  Now, i accept this idea is by no means perfect, as posters can still throw in the posts like those above, but i do believe that it would encourage posts with substance, because community members are less concerned about others posting "i agree" a few more times and stealing their place in the freeroll. Taking the idea a step further (and probably too far because it would demand a lot of work for someone to monitor) qualification for the freeroll could require posting on different sessions e.g someone posting once on 5 out of 7 days (5 posts) getting in ahead of someone that posted 7 times in the space of 5 minutes in one afternoon. As I say, these ideas are by no means perfect, but i thought I'd share them to add to the debate, which i suppose is the point of the forum thread in the first place. ray 
    Posted by Buistyboy

Hi ray, good points made. Maybe getting rid of the freeroll altogether may be an idea too, as it seems to be a bone of contention with quite a few people. The whole point of a forum is about posting no matter what the content amount. It is just a slower but bigger version of windows messenger really. How would you decide what was worthy of a post contribution towards your freeroll entry? what benchmark do you have in mind?

Another way of doing it would be, the top 100 posters put into a hat an 50 drawn at random or computer generated! but if it's computer generated then area 51 will start to get busy with the "the software is fixed " brigade :)