You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Are you a lucky player?

Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
following on from what part of poker is luck, do you consider yourself lucky or an unlucky player?

I consider myself unlucky :(

Comments

• Options
    COCASIRFCOCASIRF Member Posts: 439
    edited November 2009
    I voted for unlucky but am starting to realise that I'm hoping for too much luck.......lol
  • Options
    UrdadiUrdadi Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2009
    only lucky when I have a really good hand an playing mostly tight.

normal play, when not thinking about then definately unlucky.
  • Options
    TorryladdTorryladd Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2009

They say you lose 50 50s 80% of the time in my case its true

• Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited November 2009
    THE MORE RISKS YOU TAKE THE MORE TIMES YOU TEST YOUR LUCK. SO LOOSER PLAYER ARE GOING TO FEEL LUCKIER THAN TIGHT PLAYERS.
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited November 2009
    ALL THESE THREADS ABOUT LUCK REMIND ME OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE SPORTING QUOTES FROM JACK NICKALAUS.

"THE MORE I PRACTICE THE LUCKIER I GET"
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2009
    I voted lucky, cos unless you feel lucky you cant be lucky imo

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    As Gary Player once said when asked if he thought he was lucky ......''The more I practice the luckier I get''
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited November 2009
    Am i? you tell me - just played a DYM heads up, i got to 2300 v 700, had Ah Ad all in v Ac Qs  Community cards came 4 spades for villians flush lol. A few hands later had1450 v 1550 villain called 100 i pushed all in with 8-10, he called with QQ i won with a straight 6-7-8-9-10 lol, so perhaps we were both lucky and unlucky, it just all depends how many chips you have when your unlucky lol
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2009
    I answered YES because this week I am about £250 up, as me again after I have lost it all and I'll answer NO.
  • Options
    repton3repton3 Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2009
    I'd answer both if I could.  Have had it both ways, some weeks I get walloped getting my money in with the best hand, other weeks I can see my opponent turn over cards that have them way ahead and still come out laughing.  It's all swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited November 2009
    If everybody is so unlucky, where are all the winners?

I have had some awful luck recently but also find the luck comes in stages

Dave
  • Options
    jamesbozjamesboz Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2009
    Based on the last few days since i joined here, very lucky. Only failed to cash once in the 30p DYM so far (last of the big spenders me!)
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited November 2009

Unlucky at the moment in cash games (300 dollars down on what i should of won)

Holdem manager calculates $ev which is what your should have won on average and you can compare it to what you actually have won.(doubt that makes sense lol)

A example would be if your playing a 0.50-1 cash game and you go all in twice in a row  4 $100 with a 50%/50% race and loose both of them.

Then your dollars won total would be -200 but your $ev would be 0.00 as on average you should win half your races.

I have proof so no need to evacuate me to area 51 lol
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited November 2009
    I get lucky once for every 5 times i get unlucky.
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    Isn't everyone as lucky as evryone else - they just don't always appreciate it
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited November 2009
    I don't know. Luck can be what you make of it or not as the case may be.

I played a hand earlier AQ suited spades against 7's

flop fell 9 s 10 s  j d. 

At this point I had an up and down, flush draw and 2 overs to the pair. Statistically, I was actually a 70% fave now on the hand, although I had not hit.

Turn a 9 h now roughly 55% fave even though I had still not hit.

Now although a massive dog post flop, even though he had hit and I hadn't, I'm sure he considered himself unlucky for me hitting, 'a miracle card' of a river ace c and typed in the box, 'typical, rivered'

In actual fact, that miracle card was any spade, any ace, king, queen, ten, or jack or eight.

Or to be precise 25 outs from the remaining 44 cards left in the pack.

But I got 'lucky'.

Later, I actually put the hand into an odds calculator to see how 'lucky' I got. Thats how I know I was 70% fave post flop.

I'm quite sure he considered me very lucky that hand and himself very unlucky.
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2009
    Rather be lucky than good.

But in the long run, "luck" evens out and skill takes over.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2009
    You can't wait to be infront EVERY hand, if your opponent is short stack and shoves sometimes you have to call with any2 (especially BH's) also when you yourself are short you need to shove. These situations you dont feel you are ahead but will win more often than you think (40% of the time if your cards are live) thats when you feel lucky
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited November 2009
    I went to vote lucky and my mouse skipped to unlucky just as I pressed the button, I can't believe my luck!
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited November 2009
    i think its a case of ,

do you see the glass half full or

half empty.

in poker it helps to see it half full,

this way being a optimist one can roll with the bad beats ,

and get on and focus on the next game quickly ,

so i voted yes i am lucky,