You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Are you a lucky player?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited November 2009
    On the basis that a wise man (or woman, obviously), will make many more opportunities than they will find... Then I'm still undecided.

Do I win a prize?
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Are you a lucky player?:
    ALL THESE THREADS ABOUT LUCK REMIND ME OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE SPORTING QUOTES FROM JACK NICKALAUS. "THE MORE I PRACTICE THE LUCKIER I GET"
    Posted by BADBOY985
    badboy do u reckon u can get worse the more u practice tho? feels like Im getting worse the more I play
  • Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Are you a lucky player? : badboy do u reckon u can get worse the more u practice tho? feels like Im getting worse the more I play
    Posted by xFALLENx
    Hi fallen, I know it was a little tongue in cheek quote, but the simple answer is.....

Yes.

Sometimes by playing too much can put you at a disadvantage where you end up seeing too many flops, chase too many draws etc.

If you see someone else do it and get successful for long periods, the natural instinct is to imitate, although this may be subconsiously and you are not even aware you are doing it.

Also whilst you are on a bad run, you will start to play more to gain a few wins. Resulting in a downward spiral.

After even a small bad run, I have a few days away to completely forget my luck and the opponents bad play so I can come back refreshed and play my own game.
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Are you a lucky player? : Hi fallen, I know it was a little tongue in cheek quote, but the simple answer is..... Yes. Sometimes by playing too much can put you at a disadvantage where you end up seeing too many flops, chase too many draws etc. If you see someone else do it and get successful for long periods, the natural instinct is to imitate, although this may be subconsiously and you are not even aware you are doing it. Also whilst you are on a bad run, you will start to play more to gain a few wins. Resulting in a downward spiral. After even a small bad run, I have a few days away to completely forget my luck and the opponents bad play so I can come back refreshed and play my own game.
    Posted by Hale72
    Hey Hale72

Yes it was a bit tongue in cheek but ur are right!!!

If ever I do chance a hand (as in st8 or flush) it NEVER pays off whereas everybody else who does it they hit. Dont get me wrong I dont do it very often but I think it is effecting my game.Im starting 2 think what is the point of betting as Im gonna lose anyway and then if I dont bet or raise ppl see me as weak. Even reading poker 4 dummies hasnt helped my game.
    I kno its only a game and some ppl say u shouldnt take so seriously and I dont (that much) but theres only a certain amount u can stomach.
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    Hi everyone

I seem to remember from my psychology days, a study that was done to determine whether people who thought they were lucky actually were luckier than those that thought they werent.

They got a group of people to rate how lucky they thought they were on a scale from 1-10, then had them predict the outcome of a large number of coin tosses.  It transpired that those in the group that scored themselves highly and therefore more lucky, actually WERE able to predict the outcome of the toin cosses more often than those who rated themselves unlucky. 

Not to bore you with statistics, but this study showed that it was beyond chance and that there was a significant importance on how lucky you perceive yourself.

maybe something for us all to consider when we next go all in and its a race...
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2009
    Hi everyone I seem to remember from my psychology days, a study that was done to determine whether people who thought they were lucky actually were luckier than those that thought they werent. They got a group of people to rate how lucky they thought they were on a scale from 1-10, then had them predict the outcome of a large number of coin tosses.  It transpired that those in the group that scored themselves highly and therefore more lucky, actually WERE able to predict the outcome of the toin cosses more often than those who rated themselves unlucky.  Not to bore you with statistics, but this study showed that it was beyond chance and that there was a significant importance on how lucky you perceive yourself. maybe something for us all to consider when we next go all in and its a race...
    Posted by Buistyboy
    my thoughts exactly, well said.

Youve got to think lucky to be lucky imo.
  • Options
    skip_xskip_x Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2009

As the saying goes - If it wasn`t for Bad Luck id have No Luck at All

• Options
    labrat64labrat64 Member Posts: 987
    edited November 2009
    As Gary Player once said when asked if he thought he was lucky ......''The more I practice the luckier I get''
    Posted by elsadog
    Think it was Lee Tevino, sorry lol
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Are you a lucky player? : Think it was Lee Tevino, sorry lol
    Posted by labrat64
    Gary Player is generally acknowledged as the first golfer to say it.
    He was paraphrasing a saying by Sam Goldwyn: "the harder I work, the luckier I get".
  • Options
    skip_xskip_x Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2009
    Lee Travino was the one that said , whilst on about Lightnin ..if i`d have had a 1 Iron in me hand i`d have bin safe cos even God can`t hit a 1 Iron ...summat like that anyroad
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2009
    Hi everyone I seem to remember from my psychology days, a study that was done to determine whether people who thought they were lucky actually were luckier than those that thought they werent. They got a group of people to rate how lucky they thought they were on a scale from 1-10, then had them predict the outcome of a large number of coin tosses.  It transpired that those in the group that scored themselves highly and therefore more lucky, actually WERE able to predict the outcome of the toin cosses more often than those who rated themselves unlucky.  Not to bore you with statistics, but this study showed that it was beyond chance and that there was a significant importance on how lucky you perceive yourself. maybe something for us all to consider when we next go all in and its a race...
    Posted by Buistyboy

Variance.
  • Options
    margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2009
    I went to vote lucky and my mouse skipped to unlucky just as I pressed the button, I can't believe my luck!
    Posted by Machka

Funny as!!!!!

i voted unlucky ... i couldn't win a raffle if they gave me the wining ticket! an if i had a royal flush, i'd still find some way of losing!!! ;)
  • Options
    nirvana29nirvana29 Member Posts: 489
    edited November 2009
    im pretty much 50-50 so im not gonna vote, my luck comes and goes.
  • Options
    bluff1991bluff1991 Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2009
    If im playing tight I tend to think im unlucky as when i get the pocket rockets like aa kk qq, they usually get beaten, and i dont limp in I play it fairly aggressive around 6x bb. JJ always loses unless i hit a set.
    When i play loose I am very lucky, I tend to hit flushes and 2pair a lot more than I should. Tempted to play more loose but I dont have the bankroll to always reload if i lose
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Are you a lucky player? : badboy do u reckon u can get worse the more u practice tho? feels like Im getting worse the more I play
    Posted by xFALLENx[/QUOTE
    THINK THAT AS YOURE PLAY IMPROVES THE TIMES YOU GET UNLUCKY (BADBEATS) HAVE TO GET WORSE
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009

Hi deadluck

To come back to your variance comment relating to the psychological study, the statistical analysis uses equations that factor in vairance (ANOVA- Analysis of Variance) which factor in for the existence of variance.  The results showed that over and above the variance you refer to, there was still a correlation between a subjects perception of how lucky they are, and their performance in predicting the outcome of coin tosses.

ray