You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Master Cash Episode # 2 - Make Your PlayTHREE

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,819
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

In the third of this week's hands - all three will be debated on the Show - we look at a RIVER BET

Blinds £1 £2

Stacks - High-Jack £535

Button (us) £622.50

We have Qd Qh.

High-Jack RAISES to £6, we Re-Raise to £22, High Jack flats.

Flop 4s, 9c, 7c

HJ BETS £45

We CALL the £45.

Turn 2h - so now 4s, 9c, 7c, 2s.

Check-check. (!).

River - 4d - so now it's 4s, 9c, 7c, 2s, 4d. Well raggyy!

HJ now....SHOVES!

a) Call

b) Fold

Comments

• Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    Have only got myself to blame for getting into this spot. I now have no idea where I am, because I didn't raise his £45 flop bet. A shove is a massive overbet, and I can't call off my stack with one pair, so begrudgingly and whilst kicking myself at the same time - I'd fold - but highly suspicious...
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited November 2009
    Fold. He only has 4 hands - TT JJ KK or AA. He would probably have played KK like this.
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited November 2009
    Almost exact replica of a hand I had tonight in the SPT semi, I folded. I would have him on a set 9s or 7s

Dave
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2009
    Fold.  We can't commit like 250bb to a river overbet unless we have an awesome read. 

We only hvae ourselves to blame tho.  We should have raised flop to around 125 and insta got it in.

I think that JJ might play it like this. We have played it so weird and gay that he has no reason to think that the JJ is behind. He never has a set. There is an outside chance he has a 4.  Something like 45s, which is excellent to play in pots this deep.  His bet OTF is to find out where he is and fold out AK/get value from club draws.  Once you flat he checks  for pot control and then the river is the nutz so overbet which looks bluffy.

We are probably miles ahead like 90pc of the time but the pot is only 130 and it costs us nearly 500 to call so we can't call.

He never ever ever has AA/KK in a million years, not this deep.
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    i put my opponents on high cards here(AKs,AK,AQ etc.) and therfore i think i am ahead.I still think tikay will say i am wrong though,lol.
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited November 2009
    I'm finding this play hard to read,  other than "High Jack player" has out played us here, and having first 'position'  after the river and shoved all-in    we cant call !  It's a pass ..!!

We lost 'position' on the turn by check checking, if we wanted to know where we were or thought we were winning a bet of  80 would have either taken it down there,  or given us all the  information we needed...if he re-raises  !! ... all the answers are now available , !!

Nurse TK's given me a headache   :))
  • Options
    MajjMajj Member Posts: 99
    edited November 2009
    I snap out of whatever weird coma I'd been in for the first 3 rounds of betting, fold, cash out and go to bed
  • Options
    SwansFCSwansFC Member Posts: 308
    edited November 2009
    I think I am ahead and he had AK so has missed his draw considerably, his continuation bet is a sign of this especially when he checks the turn, that shows weakness,  maybe AK of clubs? so he has two overs aswell as a flush draw, explaining his big bet after the flop, he misses the turn so checks and we give him a free card, he thinks we got air too and bets the river after we check the turn, so I am calling.
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November 2009
    Ahh good to see I'm still playing as badly as I have for the last month or so! Anyway, it's a massive overbet so smells to high heaven but i just CAN'T call.................or can I?? Whoops, there goes another £535

As I always say "I knew I should've folded"!!! Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing, if only you could see it before hand!
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited November 2009
    impossible to call without any reads but um what exactly is he repping here? it would depend on how good i thought the player was but unless he was trying to c/raise the turn then his line makes no sense. There arent many 4's in his range. All his two pairs that he leads with have been counterfeitted. All the draws miss. We underrep our hand by checking turn and just flatting flop so he knows we wont call river. People usually lead out a ton of flush draws/straight draws more than they would a set. He never has an overpair here. Seems like were only getting owned by A4 or something but its a big overbet...i would really want to call though.
  • Options
    BonnyBonzBonnyBonz Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    I voted fold, although if it came to it I'm not really sure I would!!

Difficult to say though, as there's no way I'd get to the river without having a bit more idea where I am. I don't have him on AA or KK as he surely would have come back over the top of me pre-flop. A set is a possibility, but if he's hit then there is a good chance he would have checked to the raiser after the flop. I would have definitely re-raised his flop bet, probably to about 200, if he calls I'm putting on a draw (flush or up & down straight) and I push with that blank on the turn. If he's slow played a set and calls my all-in on the turn then so be it, it does happen but most times I'm going to be in front in that situation. If he re-raises me on the flop then I fold putting him on a set.
  • Options
    BIGSHANNBIGSHANN Member Posts: 433
    edited November 2009
    Depending on what the player plays like could be so many different scenarios.

Looks like ak clubs - push on flop, check turn, missed flush on river so over bet.  If you are massively rolled for this level and you have seen this guy make this move before then a call could be justified. 

The right answer is obviously to fold and then think - I wish I had raised on the flop/ turn to find out where I was.

The other scenario is that the high jack has a4 clubs and checks the turn to slow action down and goes all in on river once draws miss, and hitting trips, hoping for a call, putting opponent on aa/kk - or is this just my FPS kicking in?

A raise on turn from 'us' would of been best move.
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2009
    call call call call call call.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited November 2009
    It's a call but it's a little difficult to be confident about it without any history on the high-jack.
    You have under-represented your QQ on the turn specifically to induce the big bet from him on the river so now you have to call and take your medicine if he has outplayed you with a bigger pair or flopped set. On a reasonably wet flop, he has played it very sneakily if he has you beat. If he has 2 clubs and a 4 (say Ac4c or 4c5c) you're very unlucky but I can see no reason why he would be in a HU pot for that much pre-flop with these types of hands. If it was a multi-way pot he might have a hand like this trying to catch a big flop but not HU where his chances of hitting and getting paid are remote.
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited November 2009
    I call.

No way would i have played it throughout but i have opponent on busted flush, pp, A9 or K9.

In a way the check by us on the turn has helped this situation as he has now committed his hand.  The betting pre rules out a 4 in his hand so we're losing to set, AA or KK. If we'd bet properly the money may well have still gone all in earlier.

I call / shut my eyes and either whoop or reload (kicking myself for playing the hand so poorly in the process!)
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2009
    Although im a nit and i fold at every opportunity, in this circumstance i call!

The reason being that if i have played this hand SOOOO bad that i havent raised yet to ask the question, then im obviously playing so bad anyway that i may as well call and hope for the best (THE WORST THING YOU CAN EVER DO)

I would say that its a coin toss as to whether you are ahead or not tho, so if you fancy a gamble why not call....

Obviously if your opponant is a complete shove bluff monkey you may have played it this way to trap him... but i still l dont like big decisions.. Id much rather ask the questions my self and raise big on the turn...

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2009
    Thinking about this hand again.

If you are well rolled for 200nl+ then its a call.  I mean like 2.5BIs isn't anything to a well rolled reg so yeah call.

If you are not its a fold and you should also insta-stand, cashout and self exclude for 5 years for playing QQ so bad.

• Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    I put him on 10 10 and call. Big shove on river is anxious.
  • Options
    UrdadiUrdadi Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2009
    I would call. The fact that he has shoved, would make me suspicious. I would call then complain about the bad beat later. lol
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    Hi

I reacon he has at least 1 4 in his hand, maybe even quads, either that or a bluff, either way, we cant call