You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

New PC needed for 20 tabling!

Comments

• Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New PC needed for 20 tabling!:
    dont you dare walk into a shop and say I dont know what I want. pcworld will not provide what you need, theyll happily sell you stuff and it may not be an appalling deal but it wont be good or tailored to what you want. lemme stop 20 tabling myself and i'll post some links.
    Posted by beaneh

Links.....hmm now your talking beaneh.  Your not anywhere near the North East to set it up for me too ;-), I pay a good hourly rate!

Would really help mate if you get a few mins.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Ok who ever provides a link to anything PC related that I buy can have a 25% cut in a larger buy in mtt.  (Not to large though).  Mtt to be confirmed with winning linker!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    or linkers
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2013
    Top link slightly cheaper, 2nd one slightly more powerful

http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti34.html

new 27" monitor

i'm still playing and cant be bothered to have a proper scan about. but for <£7/800 that's a good setup.
  • Options
    TPTP123TPTP123 Member Posts: 492
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the help TPTP.  It's a PC I need not a boat!  Motherboard, base unit???? Think of me as the most uncompetent computer purchasing grandad and times it by 2.  Would love links so that I can just buy it though :-).  Am I going to be able to set this stuff up? Thanks again!
    Lols.. well I worry for you if your confusing mothership with motherboard!!! I can talk through all the diff parts but I gets the feeling your prob going to try pluggin them into a lightbulb and blowup a couple houses or small conservatory or summin, hah. So ermmm a bundle system sounds like it'll be worth the extra £s but from an online site not a major chain. But even so with a purchase like this you always need to do your homework really.. and put lots of thought into what you buy, everyone knows someone who knows a little about PCs nowadays 

FWIW, 
    Base Unit = the box the junk goes into
    Mothership/Board = where all the junk becomes "one junk" to mass table 
    Processor/Ram/SSD = said junk that boards the mothership. 

I would prob just go with summin like this for simplicity; 

Or this tweaked to include an SSD. 
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Top link slightly cheaper, 2nd one slightly more powerful http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/?s=2 ,1&o=2 http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti34.html new 27" monitor http://www.ebuyer.com/284485-benq-g2750-27-lcd-dvi-monitor-9h-l7flb-qpe i'm still playing and cant be bothered to have a proper scan about. but for <£7/800 that's a good setup.
    Posted by beaneh
    ty Bean.....just trying to make up my mind.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lols.. well I worry for you if your confusing mothership with motherboard!!! I can talk through all the diff parts but I gets the feeling your prob going to try pluggin them into a lightbulb and blowup a couple houses or small conservatory or summin, hah. So ermmm a bundle system sounds like it'll be worth the extra £s but from an online site not a major chain. But even so with a purchase like this you always need to do your homework really.. and put lots of thought into what you buy, everyone knows someone who knows a little about PCs nowadays  FWIW,  Base Unit = the box the junk goes into Mothership/Board = where all the junk becomes "one junk" to mass table  Processor/Ram/SSD = said junk that boards the mothership.  I would prob just go with summin like this for simplicity;  http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-323-OE&groupid=43&catid=2385&subcat=1270 Or this tweaked to include an SSD.  http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-325-OE&groupid=43&catid=2385&subcat=1892
    Posted by TPTP123

Cheers TPTP.  along with beaneh's suggestions I'm now going to close my eyes and do finger roulette over the screen and see where my computing future lies.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    do you play computer games?

do you use the computer for photos/editing etc?

do you have another computer like a laptop that you use for all the time use?

you don't NEED a SSD (solid state drive) faster than conventional older drives, BUT it would be nice and future proofs you somewhat considering you're buying all new.

what is your budget for computer monitor/setup total?
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,938
    edited February 2013
    how much can you spend ?
    plus what do you want it for ? - What else would you want your pc for, playing FPS games - will affect what grahoics or sound card you need -
    Also think about your inputs and outputs, what do you want ?

Work out how much you can spend, then look for the right machine.

You'll probbaly have to spend £700-800 to get the machine you want with a top spec.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    you don't NEED a SSD (solid state drive) faster than conventional older drives, BUT it would be nice and future proofs you somewhat considering you're buying all new.
    His talking sense for once but if your gonna spend more then 200 then do it properly imo, 

also i would rather have a i5 with an SSD then an i7 with HDD... buut thats just me and i dont think much sense. 

• Options
    edited February 2013
    do you play computer games? do you use the computer for photos/editing etc? do you have another computer like a laptop that you use for all the time use? you don't NEED a SSD (solid state drive) faster than conventional older drives, BUT it would be nice and future proofs you somewhat considering you're buying all new. what is your budget for computer monitor/setup total?
    Posted by beaneh
    Hi Beaneh,

Yes, I have a laptop that I currently use for poker.  It is fine on all other sites, just not sky.  I only use it for the usual stuff.  Surfing, itunes, uploading a few pictures.  No games.

I don't really have a budget to be honest but would like something that will do a good job and last a few years.  Obvisouly if their are two similar options I'll go for the cheaper.

I will probably just get the pc to begin with and the monitor at a later date.  I realise I'm going to have to pay a few hundred for what I need although it does seem alot just to allow me to play at sky.  I just hope they don't bring out new software after xmas that brings into line with other site.  Probs will the way I'm running at the moment!

Thanks again buddy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    how much can you spend ? plus what do you want it for ? - What else would you want your pc for, playing FPS games - will affect what grahoics or sound card you need - Also think about your inputs and outputs, what do you want ? Work out how much you can spend, then look for the right machine. You'll probbaly have to spend £700-800 to get the machine you want with a top spec.
    Posted by rancid

Hi rancid,

Thanks for the reply.

I could spend £800 but would rather spend £500.  Saying that I just want the right one.  I know nothing about inputs and outputs mate.  I think my reply to beaneh covers your questions too.

Hope your running well and look forward to a reply.

• Options
    belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited February 2013
    Bang for buck this looks good but not sure how many tables it would run here.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Elixir.html
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So I'm thinking an i5 or i7!!
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New PC needed for 20 tabling! : Hi Beaneh, Yes, I have a laptop that I currently use for poker.  It is fine on all other sites, just not sky.  I only use it for the usual stuff.  Surfing, itunes, uploading a few pictures.  No games. I don't really have a budget to be honest but would like something that will do a good job and last a few years.  Obvisouly if their are two similar options I'll go for the cheaper. I will probably just get the pc to begin with and the monitor at a later date.  I realise I'm going to have to pay a few hundred for what I need although it does seem alot just to allow me to play at sky.  I just hope they don't bring out new software after xmas that brings into line with other site.  Probs will the way I'm running at the moment! Thanks again buddy.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Sky Adam did demo the new download client at SPT Luton.  It is entering a trial phase soon but won't be released to users for some time yet.  When it does come it will significantly improve performance when multi-tabling.

I'd not hold off buying a new PC in the meantime though.

A few points on the PCs mentioned so far.

The Overclockers one, when you add the cost of Windows 7 and a separate graphics card it's looking more like £940.

The Novatech one, when you add Windows 7 it looking more like £720.

Both of those have no monitor.

The PC seller (who I have no association with) I have been recommending to my family and friends for the last year or so is Chillblast.

A similar spec to the Novatech PC would be this

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Obsidian.html

Basic price which includes a 22" 1920 x 1080p monitor is £549

Add a decent graphics card to bring it inline with the Novatech one brings it to £640.  This inlclued Windows 7 and a monitor.

Whatever you do when you buy a PC online make sure you always pay for it with a Credit Card.

• Options
    patwalshhpatwalshh Member Posts: 772
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't go with anything less than an i7 processor. I personaly have something very similar this overpriced beaut, which I am very happy with. Purchased via ebay (refurbished condition for around £700). But you can find something a lot cheaper minus the brand. 

A good keyboard, sound system and mouse is very important in my opinion. I have a mouse similar to these which I am very happy with:

As for keyboard, I just have a basic one at the moment. But I've been heavily recommended:

Pricy I know, but if you consider how many hours you spend using it. It'd be silly not to invest in my opinion.
  • Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2013
    for £580 u can get an i7 with windows 7 & dedicated graphics card.
    another £150-£200 for a 27" monitor.
    what else u expecting for that sort of money.
    dev

• Options
    edited February 2013
    This is my keyboard, its a bit on the sexy expensive side but its good to me. 

I've had 2x Nagas both the first one out £60 and the Razer Epic..@ £99... both broked just after the warrenty expired. i wouldn't bother getting one again in all honesty as you wont get longer then 12months out of it. Trust me.. i burnt £160 on these mouses!!!
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,938
    edited February 2013
    OMG it's a keyboard !!! does it type for you for that money ?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    lol keyboard can be utterly budget.

I prefer the oldschool big button, very loud clicky style ones 

like this -

You want a 'good' mouse but it doesn't have to be amazing. i've got a g500 logitech and 2x the version before that one, plus an ergonomic sideways mouse thingy and a joystick type one.

if you dont want to play games you dont need to get a super good setup, just so happens that if you get a good gaming setup you will deffo be fine to run 24 sky tables.