You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Christmas Cracker, today's Advent Calendar door

Comments

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    I'm not getting into a debate about what the advantage of it is. Just wanted to know how someone could know before the door is opened.
  • Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 478
    Tikay10 said:

@KOBAYASHI & @SMARTGOAT

As I stated earlier, I don't know how they find out in advance, but there's no advantage knowing up front. They still have to earn the points required just as everyone else does.

It's intended as a fun, Xmas based promo, but there are always a few who take these things super seriously.

Hi @Tikay10, I respectfully disagree that there isn't an advantage in knowing up front. It's a clear advantage to plan your schedule around the days that offer the best value. Also, points can technically be accumulated before midnight if you don't stand from your tables. I understand that it's a fun promo but I believe that is all the more reason for everybody to have an equal and fair opportunity.
    It is a matter of principle, don't the team at Sky want to know how people have managed to find out in advance?

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,426
    Type your comment
    SMARTGOAT said:

Tikay10 said:

@KOBAYASHI & @SMARTGOAT

As I stated earlier, I don't know how they find out in advance, but there's no advantage knowing up front. They still have to earn the points required just as everyone else does.

It's intended as a fun, Xmas based promo, but there are always a few who take these things super seriously.

Hi @Tikay10, I respectfully disagree that there isn't an advantage in knowing up front. It's a clear advantage to plan your schedule around the days that offer the best value. Also, points can technically be accumulated before midnight if you don't stand from your tables. I understand that it's a fun promo but I believe that is all the more reason for everybody to have an equal and fair opportunity.
    It is a matter of principle, don't the team at Sky want to know how people have managed to find out in advance?

Maybe a few players have found a work-around, but be assured, Sky Poker are not releasing any details to anyone until Midnight each day.

I'll ask them in the morning, & either they or I will give you an Update.
  • Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 478
    Tikay10 said:

Maybe a few players have found a work-around, but be assured, Sky Poker are not releasing any details to anyone until Midnight each day.

I'll ask them in the morning, & either they or I will give you an Update.

Okay @Tikay10, thanks for looking into it. I don't mean to create a fuss over nothing, especially during the festive season. It doesn't even directly affect me as i won't be winning any of the rake races. Just thought it should be brought to Skypoker's attention.

Hope you have a merry Christmas

SG.

• Options
    ITSQUADSYITSQUADSY Member Posts: 58
    Why would anyone think that some people know in advance what the daily promo is going to be? Am I missing something?
  • Options
    DozzaDozza Member Posts: 286
    It's easy enough to find all the information if you know where to look, but I don't want to ruin it for those who are excited to open the new door every day.

Make sure you keep your schedules clear on Xmas Day ;)

• Options
    Type your comment
    Dozza said:

It's easy enough to find all the information if you know where to look, but I don't want to ruin it for those who are excited to open the new door every day.

That's about the sum total of it.

Sad really, rather like opening presents stored under the Xmas tree before the big day, which spoils it for both giver & receiver.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,411
    edited December 2018
    Calendergate.
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2018
    ITSQUADSY said:

Why would anyone think that some people know in advance what the daily promo is going to be? Am I missing something?

YES, see Dozza post after yours ;)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

Dozza said:

That's about the sum total of it.

Sad really, rather like opening presents stored under the Xmas tree before the big day, which spoils it for both giver & receiver.

hey tk youve got lots of pressies..must ahve been a good boy this year! Have a great one and I'll see you in Manc in February! KR Danny
  • Options
    MrWh1teMrWh1te Member Posts: 963

SHEWAZ said:

I like the Christmas cracker but I do think its only for big players I don't get to play all the time so can't earn the high poker points to take part in these nothing for small players which is a shame as been playing on this site long time

There's been a quite a few days where small stakes players can win something on.
    Day 1 - Boosted Social Freeroll
    Day 2 - Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 4 - £1k Freeroll (earn 50 pts)
    Day 5 - Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 7- Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 8 - Sunday Major Freeroll (50 pts)
    I am actually of the opinion that most of these aren't good for small stakes players. Any that are 10 points minimum but unlimited tickets can be won, whilst a lottery and they could win, put the odds of winning massively in favour of the big stake players.

This promotion has again had the effect of making me play elsewhere, where calendar tickets are things like 'earn 1 point and get a $5.50 free MMT ticket'. That is a lot of free money that can be scooped up by playing elsewhere and means it is very poor value playing on sky over Christmas. As a result, my playing time has to be dedicated to other sites. I usually make around £100 profit a month, and this month half way through I have already made double that. This is purely down to other sites promotions.

I am not complaining, it is sky's company and their choice to run promos how they wish, and they will certainly have access to data that I don't with regards to sums being played this month, but from a personal point of view, as a low stake player, the promo is not only pretty worthless but forcing me to play elsewhere.
  • Options
    MrWh1te said:

SHEWAZ said:

I like the Christmas cracker but I do think its only for big players I don't get to play all the time so can't earn the high poker points to take part in these nothing for small players which is a shame as been playing on this site long time

There's been a quite a few days where small stakes players can win something on.
    Day 1 - Boosted Social Freeroll
    Day 2 - Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 4 - £1k Freeroll (earn 50 pts)
    Day 5 - Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 7- Prize Draw (10 pts -1 ticket)
    Day 8 - Sunday Major Freeroll (50 pts)
    I am actually of the opinion that most of these aren't good for small stakes players. Any that are 10 points minimum but unlimited tickets can be won, whilst a lottery and they could win, put the odds of winning massively in favour of the big stake players.

This promotion has again had the effect of making me play elsewhere, where calendar tickets are things like 'earn 1 point and get a $5.50 free MMT ticket'. That is a lot of free money that can be scooped up by playing elsewhere and means it is very poor value playing on sky over Christmas. As a result, my playing time has to be dedicated to other sites. I usually make around £100 profit a month, and this month half way through I have already made double that. This is purely down to other sites promotions.

I am not complaining, it is sky's company and their choice to run promos how they wish, and they will certainly have access to data that I don't with regards to sums being played this month, but from a personal point of view, as a low stake player, the promo is not only pretty worthless but forcing me to play elsewhere.
    All noted @MrWh1te.

FWIW, the Advent Calendar Promo got more Opt-Ins than any other Promotion on Sky Poker this year, so I don't believe your view is shared by the majority.
  • Options
    Maybe I am not, like I said it is just how I personally find it.

I think rake taken by the site by players opting in might be a better indicator though. For me, I log in, check calendar, opt in and then check other sites before deciding on my games for the night. So I am always on the list as opted in but my xmas playing money is elsewhere
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    People moaning about free money give your head a wobble
  • Options
    I am not moaning in the slightest, like I said it is up to each site to make their offers and the players to choose.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Just for reference 1 point on PP is the same as 10 points here
  • Options
    On PP that gets you a $5.50 ticket today
    On here most players won't stand a chance of a single thing.

For sky it is a business transaction, it is up to them to decide what is best for their business.
    For me it is about profit, I am not good enough (or dedicated enough) to win at poker but I break even, so these deals (rakeback) are what makes a profit.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,411
  • Options
    Seeing that man makes me feel sick in my mouth :/
  • Options
    MaaaaaaarkMaaaaaaark Member Posts: 24
    I like the promo.
    Not that I believe I'll ever win, but, there is a slight chance of it during the one ticket per ten points raffle days.
    A slight chance is better than no chance.
    And.
    The prizes are great and cost nowt to 'enter'.
    Unlike the meat raffle in my local whereby I throw a fiver at it every Sunday and we invariably go home empty handed, or carrying the last magnificent prize of a lb of sausages or a manky pork chop.