You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Playing Poker for a Living

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living:
    Jakally is not conservative with his BI estimate, for a full-time profession you have to be able to last out the short term swings, which CAN and WILL sometimes be over 50buyins. I have never felt happier playing poker as I did the day I began playing with 100 BI for my stake level, where none of my decisions were influenced by what money I had on the table (which some of you may say does not happen to you... wait until you have played a multitude of 1000-1600bb pots, every grey hair on my youthful head I can account as a missed combo draw or getting set over setted for 6 buyins).
    Posted by CoxyLboro

If you're having 50 buyin down swings you really need to re-evaluate your game and you probably need to drop down. A 50 buyin down swing cannot be attributed to variance.
  • Options
    fitzer14fitzer14 Member Posts: 248
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Playing Poker for a Living:
    Okay guys following a recent post on how to build my bankroll i am now seeking some other advice. I am looking to start playing poker for a Living, i have a bankroll of £500. I am just looking for advice on how i can get started and maybe make a living from Poker? I recieved some great help last time and hopefully i can recieve some great feedback again. Thanks guys Michael 
    Posted by mickgreen

Hi Michael,IMO m8 i believe your BR is too small to take poker up as a only income.

Why dont you just use your bankroll to see if you can climb to the heights needed to turn "pro" then take it from there?

Whatever you decide m8,best of luck with it.

Fitz.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living : wow, thats an eye opener
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Its a gr8 post by a gr8 player

I myself thought about it after good run of a cpl of weeks but last month but then it all went pairshaped and i started to lose again regularly. If i was in this guys position i would follow that advice and also in the meantime spend some time reading books and studying other peoples play over a period of time.

I would love to try it myself but don't think it would happen for a while

Paul aka MP33
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,245
    edited February 2010

Mick - see my PM to you.

Please don't even think about doing it. You are not ready, & you are not rolled for it.

If you are enjoying poker now, leave well alone, & carry on enjoying it as a recreational player.
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    isnt it true that most poker pros are bankrupt or have been bankrupt??
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,245
    edited February 2010
    isnt it true that most poker pros are bankrupt or have been bankrupt??
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Not most, but many of them are - a great deal of them in fact. Many, of course, are now ex-Poker Pros of course!

Not so much in Cash Poker, where it's easier to grind a living, but certainly in Tournament Poker, where natural variance, especially in the Live game, can be brutal. 

The level of debt & borrowing by players in Tourney Poker has reached epidimic proportions.

It's very rare for a big Tourney winner these days to "own" all of himself. On average, they have 25% "out". They sell bit of themselves to try to overcome variance. I personally know several players who have sold in excess of 150% of themselves in Tourneys. So they have a problem if they win.....

Players also get staked these days, they are known as "horses". The theory is that you are staked to play, but when you cash, you give (varies) up to 50% to your backer. But Nobody has a 50% edge in poker.

Of the WSOP Bracelet Winners I know personally, & well - two are bankrupt, & one has been to prison due to his debts.

I also know quite a few Sponsored Pros who have had to give the game up, rather than slip into debt. A sponsored Pro does not usually get a wage, they get their buy-ins paid up to a certain amount per annum. So, no cashes = no wages.

I know most of the Live Tourney Pros in the UK, & I can only think of a handful that "live comfortably". Most live from one week to the next.

I was in a Venue recently when a WSOP Winner wandered in - everyone looked away, because they KNEW he has going to try & nip somebody.

Now, the worm is turning I hope, & a whole new breed of altogether more sensible & prudent youngsters are emerging.

All that glitters is not gold.

I'd recommend anyone to play poker recreationally, & within their means. Poker is incredibly addictive.

The best example of a "recreational" player I can give is a friend of mine who absolutely adores Poker. So he deposits £30 per month into Sky Poker every month, on the 1st of the month, & when it's gone, that's it for the month. Happily, his Bankroll now stands at £350, so he can now play for over a year "for free". And you've never met a happier poker player - because he has it completely under control.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    Jakally isn't even being that much of a nit. 

The more buyins the better.