You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Documentary Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,042
    Unmasking A Killer: The Golden State Killer-Sky Witness On Demand (7 episodes)

For over FORTY years this man stayed free from the long arm of the law, yet he was one of the most prolific criminals in Californian history. This case changed many laws over its' lifespan leading to his arrest and conviction on, at least, TWELVE murders. Compulsive viewing in my opinion with a few surprising facts thrown in as well
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,109
    SidV79 said:

For over FORTY years this man stayed free from the long arm of the law, yet he was one of the most prolific criminals in Californian history. This case changed many laws over its' lifespan leading to his arrest and conviction on, at least, TWELVE murders. Compulsive viewing in my opinion with a few surprising facts thrown in as well

Excellent programme definitely worth watching.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited April 2019
    lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

Hey TiKay..... have you been watching 'World of Stonehenge' ?

Definitely right up your Street......Rocks, Stones, Circles etc. and Neil Oliver presenting it is very very good

I did fall asleep at one bit though and spilt a pint of Vodi 'n' Ginger Beer in my lap :D
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

Definitely right up your Street......Rocks, Stones, Circles etc. and Neil Oliver presenting it is very very good

I did fall asleep at one bit though and spilt a pint of Vodi 'n' Ginger Beer in my lap :D

Nope, that's not my cup of tea at all, I'd rather boil my head than watch that sort of stuff. Tony Robinson, who I fondly recall as Baldrick in Blackadder, did a series called Time Team (?) which was about that sort of stuff, & I tried watching it but it was all way too much for me.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

Nigel Farage livid after learning that Stonehenge was built by Turkish immigrants

Nigel Farage is throwing a wobbly this morning after learning that Stonehenge was constructed by immigrants.
    Researchers in London compared DNA extracted from Neolithic human remains found in Britain with that of people alive at the same time in Europe, and found that inhabitants appeared to have travelled from Anatolia (modern Turkey) to Iberia before winding their way north to Britain.
    Addressing all four followers of his new Brexit Party this morning, Farage ranted, “I’ve always said that Europeans have been coming over here, stealing British workers’ jobs, and this has clearly been going on for six thousand years.
    “I bet there were some honest, hardworking British builders who had given a quote for Stonehenge, only be undercut by this European lot, who doubtless delivered the project three weeks ahead of schedule and at half the cost. The bastards.”
    Brexit Party contender Annunziata Rees-Mogg added, “One manifesto pledge of the Brexit party will be to tear down this monument to European bureaucracy and replace it with a burger van in a lay-by.
    “That’s what you commoners like, right?”

What has this post got to do with a documentary thread,believe it or not some people don't want you views forced upon them at every given opportunity. There are two more suitable threads for this post which you have already posted this on and people can choose to view if they want to.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

Nigel Farage livid after learning that Stonehenge was built by Turkish immigrants

Nigel Farage is throwing a wobbly this morning after learning that Stonehenge was constructed by immigrants.
    Researchers in London compared DNA extracted from Neolithic human remains found in Britain with that of people alive at the same time in Europe, and found that inhabitants appeared to have travelled from Anatolia (modern Turkey) to Iberia before winding their way north to Britain.
    Addressing all four followers of his new Brexit Party this morning, Farage ranted, “I’ve always said that Europeans have been coming over here, stealing British workers’ jobs, and this has clearly been going on for six thousand years.
    “I bet there were some honest, hardworking British builders who had given a quote for Stonehenge, only be undercut by this European lot, who doubtless delivered the project three weeks ahead of schedule and at half the cost. The bastards.”
    Brexit Party contender Annunziata Rees-Mogg added, “One manifesto pledge of the Brexit party will be to tear down this monument to European bureaucracy and replace it with a burger van in a lay-by.

What has this post got to do with a documentary thread,believe it or not some people don't want you views forced upon them at every given opportunity. There are two more suitable threads for this post which you have already posted this on and people can choose to view if they want to.
    have you been watching 'World of Stonehenge' ?
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    Jacob Rees-Mogg. Already a huge moron and now he's got a sister called Annunziata.

We need a revolution.
  • Options

Jacob Rees-Mogg. Already a huge moron and now he's got a sister called Annunziata.

We need a revolution.

Pencil the 23rd May in your diary
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

I don't know what the relevance of that question is to my post but as you have asked,no I haven't been watching the programme.The reason why I read the new posts on this thread is to see what documentaries people are recommending,so as it has been highlighted as good viewing,I will take the time to watch it.Hope that clears things up for you regarding my original post.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

I don't know what the relevance of that question is to my post but as you have asked,no I haven't been watching the programme.The reason why I read the new posts on this thread is to see what documentaries people are recommending,so as it has been highlighted as good viewing,I will take the time to watch it.Hope that clears things up for you regarding my original post.
    If you are interested at all in history , then river hunters on history channel at the moment is a pretty good series ...not too heavy , but interesting
  • Options

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

If you are interested at all in history , then river hunters on history channel at the moment is a pretty good series ...not too heavy , but interesting
    I was meant to watch this from the start but I kept forgetting to record it but have just seen that it's on tonight so the skybox is set to record.
  • Options

+1

• Options
    edited April 2019
    lucy4 said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

lucy4 said:

SidV79 said:

+1

I was meant to watch this from the start but I kept forgetting to record it but have just seen that it's on tonight so the skybox is set to record.
    I've only caught a few , but fully intend to binge watch it on catch up .
    If you like gold hunting stuff , then the parkers trails series thus far have been very good as well on discovery .
    Moonshiners another really good one .
    Loads of good stuff on at the moment ....looking forward to the next series of Treasure quest snake island when it eventually hits our shores .
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    Chernobyl which has aired on Sky Atlantic is the best mini series I have seen this year hands down.
  • Options

Agree, it was top notch, though I thought "The Thatcher Revolution" was as good as I've seen this year.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,274
    Ok its a very difficult watch but

"120 minutes that shook America" is probably one of the must watch documentaries covering the horror of Sept 11.

Footage is entirely from mobile and tablet filming and its interspersed with real 911 calls and dialogue but without any narration to guide your attention it really does present a real time, in the middle of it smack in the guts.

Even more difficult is we know what the end result is and watching the Firefighters and the NYPD willingly going into what we now know is almost certain death is unbearable and I found myself actually shouting at the screen to warn them.

Its a real emotional journey. You see some of the jumpers and hear the bodies hitting the canopies over the street entrances. You see people engulfed in the collapse of the first tower and the total chaos that ensues. You see the tortured personas of the rescue people ordered back and knowing their friends are dead and theres nothing they can do.

Ive watched documentaries that have covered almost every aspect of life and death but this is the only one that still brings me to a place I really don't want to go.

Watch it because it deserves to be watched but afterward go hug someone you love and tell them.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the above post,one of the most haunting documentaries I've seen,as @TheEdge949 said because we knew that the outcome was so horrendous.The moment that the first debris cloud engulfed everything and everyone was shocking.
  • Options

Ok its a very difficult watch but

"120 minutes that shook America" is probably one of the must watch documentaries covering the horror of Sept 11.

Footage is entirely from mobile and tablet filming and its interspersed with real 911 calls and dialogue but without any narration to guide your attention it really does present a real time, in the middle of it smack in the guts.

Even more difficult is we know what the end result is and watching the Firefighters and the NYPD willingly going into what we now know is almost certain death is unbearable and I found myself actually shouting at the screen to warn them.

Its a real emotional journey. You see some of the jumpers and hear the bodies hitting the canopies over the street entrances. You see people engulfed in the collapse of the first tower and the total chaos that ensues. You see the tortured personas of the rescue people ordered back and knowing their friends are dead and theres nothing they can do.

Ive watched documentaries that have covered almost every aspect of life and death but this is the only one that still brings me to a place I really don't want to go.

Watch it because it deserves to be watched but afterward go hug someone you love and tell them.

That, for me, was the most haunting part of it - that those firefighters must have known they were probably never going to get out alive. What courage, I'm not sure I could have gone in. When I watch them going in I am reduced to tears, every single time.