You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Folding AA pre flop on bubble of DYM game

JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
edited December 2021 in Strategy
It doesn't happen often and I haven't done it for ages, but here I am folding AA on the bubble of a 11 pound DYM game.

UTG had 4500 chips (roughly same as me), short stack had 450 odd chips.

The right play here, believe it or not is to fold.

Discussion welcome!

Comments

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,325
    Thanks for putting this up, I knew it was right sometime, but I wasnt sure when.
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    Jacquelyn, This situation is something me and a poker friend talk about. I explain the format of dym that it's not winning at times it's just surviving to the last 3 and at times aggression will play a part in you getting that far. I say to him folding aces is sometimes necessary to ensure survival and he counters with if the algorythms see you folding that kind of hand on the bubble with 4 left then it will interpret that as you not wanting to win the game and your future cards will be affected. So do you think any of what he says could be true and secondly with the amount of games you have experience of have you ever thought about this yourself. Danny
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766
    edited June 2019
    mcglynn07 said:

Jacquelyn, This situation is something me and a poker friend talk about. I explain the format of dym that it's not winning at times it's just surviving to the last 3 and at times aggression will play a part in you getting that far. I say to him folding aces is sometimes necessary to ensure survival and he counters with if the algorythms see you folding that kind of hand on the bubble with 4 left then it will interpret that as you not wanting to win the game and your future cards will be affected. So do you think any of what he says could be true and secondly with the amount of games you have experience of have you ever thought about this yourself. Danny

He REALLY thinks that? Good Lord.

I fancy it's a wind-up, but just in case, there are no algorithms involved, & the RNG does not have a memory.
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    ^That's a beauty - would recommend all to read it
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    mcglynn07 said:

The only thing I really worry about if folding AA (or KK/QQ) in spots like this is if someone from Sky is watching (@Tikay can you confirm if people in the right places can indeed see hole cards or not?!) and misinterpret the fold as colluding; the reason I say this, is because I often wonder if the support/customer service staff are as experienced in DYM games as some of the regs who play thousands upon thousands of hands of this format.

Also, this goes a bit deeper as there are some big hands you would maybe fold to stronger players in some spots, but call to other recreational players - again I wonder whether the staff pick up on that sort of thing and interpret it the wrong way. Alas, so far so good on both points and this hasn't happened as it is most certainly NOT colluding, it's strategy depending on your opponent.

On very rare occasions, it is as you say, necessary to fold these hands in these games.

Your friend is totally, totally wrong, he/she obviously thinks online poker is rigged? - Show them my graph and then see what they say?

That said, if you are asking have i questioned the randomness of the RNG of online sites? - Yes of course; even as a winning player here with 50,000 sit n go/mtt games on Sky I have found myself questioning the RNG on regular occasions, I think this is quite natural and that we have all gone through horrendous times of 'variance' online on all sites. At times you can run so hot, and at times run so so bad. It's hard to think it is totally fair/random at times. Your brain also plays tricks on you - how many times do you remember the time you lucked out with the two outer on the river as opposed to losing against it in the same reversed situation? Your brain remembers the bad runs more than it remembers the good runs.

Admin, support and online poker pro's will all tell you it is random and fair. We don't have much in the way of being able to prove it though - (this could be one reason why a lot of people think it is rigged?); ultimately, I don't know if I have ran to EV (or above or below) during my games here.

I would love to see my expected value graph of my 50,000 games to see if it churns out the same profit/loss graph as my sharkscope, but there is no way of getting this. It would be so interesting to see though - any volunteers for going through every hand of 50k games and jotting the EV graph?! One can only assume after such a large sample it is pretty much bang on the money...

NB @Tikay10 i hope what i've written is ok for public forum, I know Sky doesn't like rants about its RNG, I hope you can see i've tried to give a balanced and honest answer.

Thanks J x

edited June 2019
    (@Tikay can you confirm if people in the right places can indeed see hole cards or not?!)

The right people in the right places can review any or every hand of any player at any time.

I often wonder if the support/customer service staff are as experienced in DYM games as some of the regs who play thousands upon thousands of hands of this format.

Also, this goes a bit deeper as there are some big hands you would maybe fold to stronger players in some spots, but call to other recreational players - again I wonder whether the staff pick up on that sort of thing and interpret it the wrong way. Alas, so far so good on both points and this hasn't happened as it is most certainly NOT colluding, it's strategy depending on your opponent.

The much maligned folks at customer Care would not know the answers to such questions, nor would they claim to. They simply pass such queries across to both F & R (Fraud & Risk) & the Poker Team.

The suggestion that those in the Poker Team responsible for checking these things don't understand DYM strategy is a little......unreasonable.

The guys mainly responsible for checking these things most certainly have more experience of poker than almost any player on this Site, & certainly knows the nuts & bolts of how DYM's work & the strategy of them at all levels, & that includes understanding the difference between good strategic play & collusion.

FWIW, collusion can almost never be proven based on a single hand, a portfolio of hands needs to be assessed.

NB @Tikay10 i hope what i've written is ok for public forum, I know Sky doesn't like rants about its RNG, I hope you can see i've tried to give a balanced and honest answer.

It's 100% fine. Folks question Sky Poker & it's staff's integrity on this Forum every single day, & frequently say outright that the site is "rigged" & therefore it's staff are corrupt.

We see such claims on this Forum almost daily, but the posts are never removed & remain here for all to see.

Nobody has ever come up with a single piece of credible evidence to prove malpractice by Sky Poker though. Ever.
    Tikay10 said:

(@Tikay can you confirm if people in the right places can indeed see hole cards or not?!)

The right people in the right places can review any or every hand of any player at any time.

I often wonder if the support/customer service staff are as experienced in DYM games as some of the regs who play thousands upon thousands of hands of this format.

The guys mainly responsible for checking these things most certainly have more experience of poker than almost any player on this Site, & certainly knows the nuts & bolts of how DYM's work & the strategy of them at all levels, & that includes understanding the difference between good strategic play & collusion.

FWIW, collusion can almost never be proven based on a single hand, a portfolio of hands needs to be assessed.

good to know!
    Firstly my question To Jacquelyn was never meant to prompt a response where we question Sky staff and their integrity. I am very grateful to Sky its staff and the service.
    The great and the powerful Tikay is the best authority to listen to on here regarding Algorithyms and what they do, there is no memory in the RNG so it does not care if you fold ACES, kings and queens three hands running, or if you have a break mid game a bath or whatever it is you do with your time when logged into SKY.
    HYYDFTR had the best answer so far see a problem and inject some humour and then go from there.
    My question to Jac was more to see how she approaches her poker and what she learns from it and is my subject ever something that comes up in game. I rate her game very highly and was interested in her response which was very detailed.
    There are no rules saying what you must do with what cards from this position anywhere, they are your cards and your chips and must do with them what you think best. The fact I here people saying they folded aces on the bubble in EPT's just so they can cash and minimise the risk on their investment, it's very counter intuitive but does make sense after you think about it.
    No matter what reply I give to my friend he will believe what he believes based upon his experiences, that's his choice much in the same way as the folk that say its rigged, but life is unfair , this is against me that is against me. People will always say this because the game they love and something they feel they are good at, well they expect to win and if this does not happen then they let anyone who wants to listen know what they think, blah blah blah.
    Jac, your graph is phenominal , me and my friend talk about this, 244 games in a day thats 10 games every hour on the hour, this baffles us we think you must have three monitors at least. You have played for three whole years and cashed for a boatload of money , someone to look up to defo and this is why I had to write to you.
    I play you regularly now so I will be saying Hi at the tables.
    Good luck Danny (McGlynn07)

NB Sky is more than fair, It brings me my football my poker , I bet on the other APP also and it's in my home. Sky is a great brand and it is why I am here.
    Thank you

@mcglynn07

Great post, & I better understand where you were coming from now.

And yes, folks who believe these weird theories won't ever be convinced otherwise.

"HYYDFTR had the best answer so far see a problem and inject some humour and then go from there."

Yes, he very often does nail it, & he's a cheerful soul like so many chubby sorts are.

Finally, I have no idea of the correct answer to this, but you refer to Jacquelyn as "her". You may well be 100% correct (well it's hard to be 50% right on that one) but I am always wary with gender-specific online aliases, as really we don't have a clue whether they are male or female. Think I can name any number of female aliases on Sky Poker who are male. Oddly, it's quite rare, as far as I now, for the opposite to be true, very few females use a male alias.
    It's great Tikay that you put to bed months and months of discussion between me and my friend in one sentence.

I will try and find out if Jacqulyn is a him or a her. I'll ask.
    edited June 2019
    mcglynn07 said:

Firstly my question To Jacquelyn was never meant to prompt a response where we question Sky staff and their integrity. I am very grateful to Sky its staff and the service.
    The great and the powerful Tikay is the best authority to listen to on here regarding Algorithyms and what they do, there is no memory in the RNG so it does not care if you fold ACES, kings and queens three hands running, or if you have a break mid game a bath or whatever it is you do with your time when logged into SKY.
    HYYDFTR had the best answer so far see a problem and inject some humour and then go from there.
    My question to Jac was more to see how she approaches her poker and what she learns from it and is my subject ever something that comes up in game. I rate her game very highly and was interested in her response which was very detailed.
    There are no rules saying what you must do with what cards from this position anywhere, they are your cards and your chips and must do with them what you think best. The fact I here people saying they folded aces on the bubble in EPT's just so they can cash and minimise the risk on their investment, it's very counter intuitive but does make sense after you think about it.
    No matter what reply I give to my friend he will believe what he believes based upon his experiences, that's his choice much in the same way as the folk that say its rigged, but life is unfair , this is against me that is against me. People will always say this because the game they love and something they feel they are good at, well they expect to win and if this does not happen then they let anyone who wants to listen know what they think, blah blah blah.
    Jac, your graph is phenominal , me and my friend talk about this, 244 games in a day thats 10 games every hour on the hour, this baffles us we think you must have three monitors at least. You have played for three whole years and cashed for a boatload of money , someone to look up to defo and this is why I had to write to you.

NB Sky is more than fair, It brings me my football my poker , I bet on the other APP also and it's in my home. Sky is a great brand and it is why I am here.
    Thank you

This is my set up - its chaos as you can see, but one PC, one screen, overlapping tables. One day my partner will buy me a lovely massive monitor for my birthday.

Each game doesn't take an hour - more like 30 mins, so can easily play 20 an hour if there is traffic. More if i play some turbo games.

Terrible evening this evening though, ran like poo.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,325
    Have you still got your Windows 7 machine ?
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Jacquelyn said:

mcglynn07 said:

Thank you

This is my set up - its chaos as you can see, but one PC, one screen, overlapping tables. One day my partner will buy me a lovely massive monitor for my birthday.

Each game doesn't take an hour - more like 30 mins, so can easily play 20 an hour if there is traffic. More if i play some turbo games.

Terrible evening this evening though, ran like poo.
    I'm not worthy...I put 4 tables on my screen and I can't keep up.....so for me it raises the question...are you playing each hand, the players, position, bet size and whatever other variation you take into account OR

Just quickly playing the odds? OR whatever other key factor you consider is most important(TELL ME, please)

I get when a fold is easy to make, I'm struggling with the concept of enjoying and playing the game with so many tables, again is it just about making money...??

If making money works, buy another and do a 2 screen setup...or will that mean 20 tables at once!

GLGL

Danny
    cheers for showing the setup Jacqelyn see you at the tables

again is it just about making money...??

If making money works, buy another and do a 2 screen setup...or will that mean 20 tables at once!

GLGL

Danny

Yes its just about making money for me, i don't particularly enjoy DYM games; I do enjoy the results though, obviously.

I do need to buy a better set up, i think that is obvious, but even with unlimited monitors and tiling the tables, i think 12 is my max regardless.

I also semi posted this because there is a player called Tam something that claims I am a cheating robot - so you can see from the screen that i'm not; if i get some time and work out how to do it, I will record a short video of me playing so many tables - you will then see the speed of decisions etc - would you like that?
    Tam is Jealous Jacquelyn that you take his chips time and again. You keep making the money and grinding . Do you watch a lot of poker Jac or look at any training videos to keep up to date with your poker skills. I'm just interested in a players thoughts who achieves lots of volume. Do you colour code the players on sky?
    Yes please on the video if you can figure it out.
    Good luck danny
  • midnightmamidnightma Member Posts: 54
    Enjoyed this discussion
    mcglynn07 said:

Tam is Jealous Jacquelyn that you take his chips time and again. You keep making the money and grinding . Do you watch a lot of poker Jac or look at any training videos to keep up to date with your poker skills. I'm just interested in a players thoughts who achieves lots of volume. Do you colour code the players on sky?
    Yes please on the video if you can figure it out.
    Good luck danny

No i don't watch too much poker - its hard to find good videos of DYM - watching MTT won't improve much in your DYM game.

Yes I colour code the players.