You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poker return in 2020

nickkaynickkay Member Posts: 169
After not playing seriously for well over twelve months (a messy divorce, work strife got in the way) and having changed jobs after 19 years, my weekends are now free, so I plan on building a bankroll from just playing the deepstacks at the weekends.

I'll be keeping a dairy on here, more for me than anything to keep track of results and discuss hands. My initial target is to reach a bankroll of £500 by July, opening balance is £30. Results dependent when roll allows will take the occasional shot at the mains via £3.60 direct sats.

Really looking forward to getting back into the game I love, and I see plenty of regs still kicking about. All the best to everyone and thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Best of luck with this and your targets
  • Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 477
    Good luck - love a good bankroll challenge.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

@nickkay

Good luck with this, will follow with interest.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    welcome back mate gl
  • Options
    So day 1:

2.15 Deepstack - 16/91 Really pleased with stack building for first two hours, then got stuck on a table with 3 other big stacks. Card dead for a while and semi tilted when bluffed off KK, never really recovered but generally solid play.

4.15 Deepstack - 8/92 Played just as well as the previous tournament, chip leader for a long time before again, ran into a set over two pair. Lot of shallow stacks as blinds reached 3/6k, three bet shoved QQ only to run into KK, gg.

Made some really brave calls in the latter tournament, stand out hand 3 betting JJ, called. Flop 10-8-6 rainbow, checked to me, I c bet, before I was reraised. Seemed a weird line for a set, I called. Nondescript 2 on the turn, he shoves, after a long dwell I call for him to show J10,river blank and a good double up.

All in all pleased with todays efforts and go again tomorrow. Can we all agree though that Saturday night Tv is absolute garbage!

Opening balance £30

Closing balance £32.83
  • Options
    Very late reg 7.15 Deepstack - 18/129 After running up a short stack, called off a 14 BB shove with 28BB A10 loses to AK, could have probably let this go, but he'd been shoving really wide. Left me short and a run of card dead/blinding out hit the rail.

Positives - Patience with a short stack, negatives do I really need to call off the A10 hand with stack sizes?

Closing balance £30.83
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    nickkay said:

So day 1:

2.15 Deepstack - 16/91 Really pleased with stack building for first two hours, then got stuck on a table with 3 other big stacks. Card dead for a while and semi tilted when bluffed off KK, never really recovered but generally solid play.

4.15 Deepstack - 8/92 Played just as well as the previous tournament, chip leader for a long time before again, ran into a set over two pair. Lot of shallow stacks as blinds reached 3/6k, three bet shoved QQ only to run into KK, gg.

Made some really brave calls in the latter tournament, stand out hand 3 betting JJ, called. Flop 10-8-6 rainbow, checked to me, I c bet, before I was reraised. Seemed a weird line for a set, I called. Nondescript 2 on the turn, he shoves, after a long dwell I call for him to show J10,river blank and a good double up.

All in all pleased with todays efforts and go again tomorrow. Can we all agree though that Saturday night Tv is absolute garbage!

Opening balance £30

Closing balance £32.83

Ha, yes, we can agree on that. Especially Reality TV Shows. My word they are dire.

PS - well done on a good first night back.
  • Options
    Day two:

2.15 Deepstack 8/92 Some solid play, horrible exit runner runner straight. Does sky allow HUD'S? Making player notes has made me make some calls I wouldn't have normally made.

4.15 Deepstack 45/105 Horrible three calls with bottom pair by villain sees my exit, never really got going, but that's poker.

Might play the 7.15 Deepstack, super tilted though with the runner runner straight in the 2.15. Some solid play in that though, and some great value bets with made hands.

Balance: £33.55

A final table and bink is coming...
  • Options
    nickkay said:

Day two:

2.15 Deepstack 8/92 Some solid play, horrible exit runner runner straight. Does sky allow HUD'S? Making player notes has made me make some calls I wouldn't have normally made.

4.15 Deepstack 45/105 Horrible three calls with bottom pair by villain sees my exit, never really got going, but that's poker.

Might play the 7.15 Deepstack, super tilted though with the runner runner straight in the 2.15. Some solid play in that though, and some great value bets with made hands.

Balance: £33.55

A final table and bink is coming...

No.

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    There is also a £1 deepy at 7.45pm or a £5 one at 8.15pm . The latter one plays a bit more less bingo ish ;)

Good luck with this challenge. With the amount of Bounty Hunters and Rebuys now on Sky, it is nice to see a Deepstack challenge on the Forum. I do remember your alias from the past (I think).
  • Options

Day three 3 - After spazzing off a chunk of my bankroll today, just bubbled the 4.15 deepstack 10/64, playing the nightly 0.50 then reassess tomorrow.

Balance: £24.97
  • Options
    Day 4 - After a week off, and five stitches in my hand (don't ask), I spent most of last night watching a few six max videos and quite a long read of a few threads on TwoPlusTwo.

Feeling refreshed after a long week, I fired up the turbo bounty hunter at 8 this morning, and after quite a topsy turvey heads up, manged to come 1/44. Turbo's aren't usually my thing, but it played a lot like a satellite despite the bounty aspect. Solid play, won a lot more flips than usual and big hands held up.

Looking forward to the deepstacks later and possibly a few sat shots into the main.

Balance: £95.38
  • Options

oioi, well done @nickkay
  • Options
    Day 4 continued - After my early morning bink, was looking forward to a productive evening session, unfortunately normal service was resumed.

With my roll boosted, took a shot at the 6.45 £11 BH. Small field was a plus, sadly the play wasn't. Won a couple of bountys to soften the 8/34 finish. It's amazing at the level of quality of player when you step up from the smaller buy ins. Never really had a stack and played some very sloppy hands.

Next up was the 7.15 Deepy. In all honesty, didn't concentrate as much on this as I should due to playing my old friend, some PLO8 at the same time, the 7.15 PLO8 BH. a 52/126 finish in the deepstack allowed me to focus on the PLO8, where with 9 left I had a huge chip lead. But, as we all know PLO8 is such a swingy game, and yet again, I bubbled the tournament finishing 7/58. Bitterly disappointed about this one, as I should easily have finished top 3, the blow only softened buy picking up 6 bounties to not damage the bankroll too much.

Ready and focused for a productive day today.

Balance: £91.22
  • Options

Your "friend" PLO8, is, in my experience, so much more fun than that other mate of yours, Mr NLH.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Your "friend" PLO8, is, in my experience, so much more fun than that other mate of yours, Mr NLH.

Certainly is TK, and the game I'm probably better at, just bubbled the 8 a.m £100BH 4/26, gonna be one of those days :)
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    @nickkay come back to PLO8 dym games
  • Options
    Awful. Sometimes in poker you have to be brutally honest, and last week, I committed all the cardinal sins of bankroll management. The only saving grace, is that I KNOW I played hands badly, I know spots I was beat but still called it off, but doesn't disguise the fact I decimated most of my bankroll.

Being Cheltenham week, poker wasn't really at the forefront of my thoughts, and bar playing the nightly rewards freerolls, (£1 cash and a £10, +EV lol) and the week of hardly playing has done me the world of good. As for the horses, possibly the worst week I've ever had, including a spectacular punt on the gold cup to save the week, to come second, sigh, gg.

Anyway, after wallowing in self pity and numerous "refreshments" last night, I fired up the laptop this morning and managed to win the 8am turbo BH 1/38, happy with my play, even when short didn't panic and played solid. Player notes I've realised are such a massive help, a fair few spots I got bluffs through, or called marginal spots. I can't believe I've been wasting this feature all these years!

In good spirits today, no kids, gf at work so be hitting the deep stacks later and of course, bubbling £3.60 main sats for fun.

Balance: £86.89
  • Options
    Sunday was a rueful day, and a reminder of how cruel Poker can seem at times. With not many left in the early deepstack, flopped a set of 6’s on a 10,4,6 rainbow board. Villain bets big with 10 4, i jam, runner runner flush, gg. Then in the Sunday major freeroll, 25 left, Kk, all in pre with a real shot at a seat of this holds up, flop K37, two clubs vs KJ, runner runner flush again, sigh gg.

Almost called it a night after busting another deepstack, but fired up the 7.15 and after a 40 minute heads up battle managed to get the win for £79. Bar the rewards free rolls, will have a good rest this week and go again next weekend. On the plus side we’ll on track to get to my £500 target by July.

Balance: £153.65
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Great work firing up that last game and battling to the win!