You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Daily Question, Wednesday April 15th. Most prized possession?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471

Inspired by some of the eye-opening replies yesterday to the Desert Island Discs "luxury" thread, what is your most prized possession?

Family members & house are excluded. This is more pinball tables/cameras/cars/trophies/sporting souvenirs etc.

Photos not mandatory but are encouraged.

Comments

• Options
    avixavix Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471

@avix

I don't know much about cameras but that collection must be worth a good few bob.

For me though, I'll take that Beemer please, what a beaut.

I won't be adding my contribution to the thread and I'm a bit boring, but I have some magnificent books, many of them over a century old & signed by the author. Most are about horse racing & racehorse breeding. I did warn you I was boring.

• Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2020
    I used to have an original 1983 edition of The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson, signed by both him and Ralph Steadman, his long-time friend and illustrator of many of his books. It wasn't in print for long and there are probably fewer than 1,000 copies on this planet. Sadly I had to sell it along with the rest of my enormous book collection when I moved to New York in the early 2000s as I was broke and couldn't afford the shipping.

I've moved around so much since then that I've shed most of my non-essential material possessions. These days it would be my David Bowie poster and Vans. He posed for the poster in 1987 as part of a campaign to by America's Libraries to get kids reading. They released a limited-run reprint of it a few years ago and my wife bought one for me for my birthday, since she knows I'm obsessed with him.

The Vans were released as a one-time limited run a while after he died and I couldn't afford them at the time. I saved up for a little while and got some off eBay. I've got the white ones in the middle but I'm planning to buy the full set eventually.

Edit: Just remembered another very cool book I used to have and cherish. Back when I was studying linguistics in my early 20s I hunted down a 1934 copy of the Webster's New International Dictionary because it is somewhat famous for having accidentally included what is known as a ghost word in the entry for "dord." Here's a short explanation I pulled off Google:
    The phantom phrase hung out until 1939, when an editor finally noticed its lack of etymology. Spooked, he checked the files and found the original slip: "D or d, cont/ density,” which was actually referring to abbreviations using the letter D. At the time, words to be entered in the dictionary were typed with spaces between letters so “d or d” might have been interpreted as “d o r d.”

Despite having proved its non-existence, it would take until 1947 before Webster’s pages were dord-free.
    Sadly that too went the way of Curse of Lono and I don't have it anymore.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    I've got nowt special so I went for this
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow that's a big pic
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,362
    stokefc said:

Wow that's a big pic

Yes, photos from your phone come out massive.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    edited April 2020
    Not sure how pic will turn out.....its of a set of ww2 airplane plates given to me by an old neighbour who was a fighter pilot during the war. I got to know him as i was doing a lot of running and he asked me for some advice. He was in his 80's at the time but fit as a whippet. Long story short i paced him round a half marathon when he was 86! He lived till he was 98. At his funeral i found out he had earned 2 x DFC's in ww2.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/RgTsuqStm8ebqOJt0A3dQVyxS07eh1ff2tBedbRT1Gq
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534

Holds no real sentimental attachment but it was a blood sweat and tears grind from poker to get the money together in time... So probably my most valuable item because of the effort I put in to make it happen
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    Bit boring but I would be lost without my computer given me hours of fun and a little stress playing poker and a little money play on five sites and apart from an initial deposit usually £30ish never deposited again. Paid for a few Xmas's and helped my little girl out when she moved into a new house and have made some real life friends.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    My health
    Material things are worthless without it.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,276
    Some fishing gear I was given by my fishing mate who died last year. I had fished with him on and off for 25 years and he was more of a dad to me than my own father was. He left me the pick of his fishing gear so I now have a few rods with his name on them as well as some other bits and pieces that remind me of him including his lucky fishing hat, cheeky **** never told me he had two identical fishing hats, now that's cheating!
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    My old man's - man purse, can't think of a better way of describing it. Full leather and where I keep money for emergencies.

He was very good with cash and not a bad three card brag player back in the day from what I understand. His bills were always paid and the money he gambled with was always extra, never cutting into savings or daily or monthly expenses.

His son is not quite as good with money however it is a token remainder to handle money better.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited April 2020
    VespaPX said:

My health
    Material things are worthless without it.

Covered so much ground in so few words
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Been struggling to think of anything that I would class as my prized possession, but there is certainly one thing that keeps me sane and without it I would be back on the ciggies in no time.

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,276
    waller02 said:

Been struggling to think of anything that I would class as my prized possession, but there is certainly one thing that keeps me sane and without it I would be back on the ciggies in no time.

Showing my ignorance here but WTF is that? Looks like something out of a 1970's Dr Who episode!
  • Options
    Enut said:

waller02 said:

Showing my ignorance here but WTF is that? Looks like something out of a 1970's Dr Who episode!
    It's a vape mod and tank. I turned to vaping to quit smoking a few years ago as it's nowhere near as bad for you (allegedly).
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    waller02 said:

Vape gang represent. Almost a year off, myself.

Think you need an upgrade though, that thing looks like it's from 2005.
  • Options
    NOSTRI said:

waller02 said:

Vape gang represent. Almost a year off, myself.

Think you need an upgrade though, that thing looks like it's from 2005.
    It has served me well. I wont fork out for a new while that one still works.