You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your daily Question, Sunday April 19th. A poker question today.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,120

How did you first get in to poker, & how long ago was that?

And why do you play poker?

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,537
    This is a bit Personal, is it a ten year census ...... I play Poker to get out the House. cough!

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited April 2020
    Like many people my age LNP (the 1st one) was the start.

Loved the whispering tones of Jesse May and the smokey backdrop of the room.

First time seeing Phil Hellmuth in action and my hero at the time Simon Trumper.

So many cool cats in that series. Wish there was a way to see the old episodes back, so many great memories.

For the 2nd part of the question:-

Play poker for the social aspect and competition with a bit of pocket money at the end of the week. Poker has been a massive part of my life, very few negatives on the whole.
  • Options

@stokefc

Great story Sean.

Must correct one thing though, I was not on LNP (Late Night Poker) I was on PNL (Poker Night Live).

The list of "experts" brings back a flood of memories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Night_Live
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    I knew I seen you somewhere I used to watch any and all poker that was on the telly
  • Options
    bearacebearace Member Posts: 132
    Too good an opportunity to ignore. Click Tikays's name on the link he posted above and you get this gem. I know I posted it before but reading it again still makes me laugh so for anyone who has not seen it before, enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kendall_(poker_player)
  • Options
    bearace said:

Too good an opportunity to ignore. Click Tikays's name on the link he posted above and you get this gem. I know I posted it before but reading it again still makes me laugh so for anyone who has not seen it before, enjoy.

Corrected link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kendall_(poker_player)
  • Options
    bearace said:

bearace said:

When this opens click on Tony kendall(poker player)
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    If you follow the Poker night live wiki link above you can find Mr Kendall in the list of poker experts and he has a wiki page all of his own.
    You have lived quite the life Mr Kendall, wiki is always correct right?
  • Options
    H3nry said:

If you follow the Poker night live wiki link above you can find Mr Kendall in the list of poker experts and he has a wiki page all of his own.

@H3nry

Ha. If I could find who did that I'd happily wring their neck...
  • Options
    bearace said:

bearace said:

bearace said:

When this opens click on Tony kendall(poker player)
    Hahaha Italian model and actor hahaha
  • Options

The dialup system of tinternet was a tad frustrating back in 2009, but it was so satisfying when days later the page eventually loaded

Oh my, what memories. Imagine how poker players would deal with that in today's world.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Oops , second part of the question
    Why?
    I play poker for fun, I’m a bit of a worrier and it takes my mind away from most of the things that would haunt me back when I was struggling, I play in the front room on a laptop whilst watching tv and chatting , it’s a terrible way to play I know, but it works for me.
  • Options
    Winning a 15k ticket into the WSOP main event from a freeroll wow
    I wouldn't have slept if it was me
    Did you cash Tom?
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    stokefc said:

Winning a 15k ticket into the WSOP main event from a freeroll wow
    I wouldn't have slept if it was me
    Did you cash Tom?

It was unreal Sean, like another world when I got there.
    Particularly when I sat down at the table and there were thousands of other players in the room, the tables were “ roped off” and loads of people standing watching ( what little they could see) and the constant chant of “ Ivey Ivey Ivey” 🙄

I didn’t cash, although my other claim to fame was making day 2 ( bust out hand AK v QQ AIPF on a AK4 flop , turn 10 river J ) I walked out with Greg Raymer who had previously won.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    I first got into poker late 2008. A friend of a friend in our town was a really good player back in the day, he ended up being a sponsored pro with PKR. So I deposited on Sky thinking the game must be easy, I soon found out that it wasn't, even back then when the games were soft.

Basically just been clicking buttons ever since and it's only been these past few months where I have tried to take the game a bit more seriously in order to try and improve. I play for fun at the end of the day, although by some my diary posts you would find that hard to believe. I do enjoy it though, mostly.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2020
    The fossilman leaving with a fossil, that's sweet.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    Tikay10 said:

H3nry said:

@H3nry

Ha. If I could find who did that I'd happily wring their neck...
    That's some profile :) .
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    My son was on the computer playing poker and he said " dad come and have a go " that was around 2007ish sat down and I was hooked. Played on PS on the free for a couple of years then played proper money after building a bankroll of around $31 lost that in a day and was gutted it felt really bad, those dollars had become like friends to me after that I deposited about $30 played ultra cautious and built it up to about $400 then used that to put some on Sky then a few other sites have only put a small amount on each and built them up. Not sure how I found the Sky Poker channel probably channel hopping and I was hooked on that watched it most nights it was on, when Richard Orford and Tikay got going it was some of the best telly ever. Apart from holidays I don't think I have gone a week without playing and play most days, a few years back I was ill and I think poker kept me sane if you played well you won and when you played bad you lost apart from bad beats where you could console yourself with the fact you played the hand well but got unlucky. Turned into a monologue but yes what a great game.