You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Daily Question 23rd April. Rate how the Supermarkets have coped with the Covid crisis

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
edited April 2020 in Poker Chat

The Supermarkets have been under real pressure in all sorts of ways.

How do you think they are coping with the Covid crisis?

Could they have done better?

Mark them out of 10 (10 = perfect, 1 - abysmal).

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,631
    After the shambles at the start of the crisis they seemed to have got their act together
    I've not drove since lock down so I use my local coop ive got to give them 9/10 they have been excellent with just a few items short
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    9/10 They are doing their very best in very difficult circumstances.

The workers are putting their own lives on the line in just being there to stack shelves or serve people. Good job. They deserve the greatest respect.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

After the shambles at the start of the crisis they seemed to have got their act together
    I've not drove since lock down so I use my local coop ive got to give them 9/10 they have been excellent with just a few items short

Was that the fault of the supermarkets, or the public?

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited April 2020
    Yeah the "shambles" was not the Supermarket's fault at all, it was the public going crazy and panic buying when there was no need whatsoever.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,631
    ^^^
    What Ryan said
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    In general they are doing a good job now.

However, at the start of the pandemic both they and the public seemed clueless , whether that was by the guidelines not being clear, or by the public simply not taking notice I’m not sure.

When you have a mass of people buying crazy amounts of toilet rolls etc, it doesn’t take a genius ( in Supermarkets procurement) to work out they will run out pretty quick.

I went for our normal weekly shop , on my normal day, and the shelves were bare, there was zero social distancing ( when the guidelines were already in place. I had to leave .
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,028
    Whilst the "shambles" at the start was definitely NOT the supermarket's fault, the suits in charge could have acted more quickly to stop the obscene, and absolutely unnecessary, panic buying that was so blatantly going on at that time. As both @stokefc & @waller02 have said, they do seem to have got their collective acts together so I think 8/10 is a fair reflection on their performance although the shop staff get a 10/10 for their essential work at this time.
    As an addendum to this, I will add that last week there were people queueing outside of Lidl but not at Sainsbury's or Iceland (all in Stoke town centre) and this week the reverse is true with queues outside both Sainsbury's and Iceland but not Lidl...
  • Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited April 2020
    I think they have performed very poorly and they still are.

40% of food in the UK is consumed outside of the house, (not right now obviously). If you ask people to stay at home then that food is going to be consumed at home and it shouldn't be a surprise that people need to suddenly buy 40% more food. People running supermarkets have these numbers at their fingertips and it shouldn't be a surprise to them. There was a chance in early February that we would face a real problem here and that it would mean a lockdown and I know plenty of people who stopped leaving home in the 2nd week of March and were starting to stock up on groceries. It wasn't until March 20th that pubs shut and the weekend following that was when the stockpiling and toilet roll shortage stories started appearing in the media. The shops had at least ten days to prepare for that and it could have easily imposed limits on items like soap, hand-sanitisers and toilet roll.

The opening of stores for just the old and vulnerable for the first hour was suggested on social media on around the 23rd but it took several days to come in. Throughout this thing it's been the public calling for things with the authorities and agencies being reactive rather than pro-active. In the early stages of this experiment people said that "ordinary" customers were getting involved, there was too much of a queue and a crush and vulnerable people were being brought into contact with others with no social distancing. It took days before the shops sorted this out, put staff outside, limited the numbers coming in, controlled the queues.

It's still very difficult to get delivery slots and this is baffling to me. If I was the government and I wanted people to stay home then why would I not encourage supermarkets to expand their deliveries? There are millions who are currently unemployed, tens of thousands of vans sitting idle and millions of customers sitting at home wishing they could get a slot rather than going out and risking their health. One supermarket that I know the details from have decided they don't want to expand their number of drivers and vans as they feel that this will be a temporary thing and it will waste money getting new vehicles, training staff and changing their systems only to lay them off again in a few months. They have instead moved staff from other parts of their business into their stores where people queue round the block and risk their health.

Surely plenty of people who have never quite embraced online shopping and deliveries will have been converted during this. Once the younger generation of the family set up an account for their mum or granny they'll surely realise it's much more convenient and stick with it. This seems like a massive error.

1/10 from me.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    ^^^^6

@NChanning

Meanwhile, you can read who won what last night

HERE

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    NChanning said:

40% of food in the UK is consumed outside of the house, (not right now obviously). If you ask people to stay at home then that food is going to be consumed at home and it shouldn't be a surprise that people need to suddenly buy 40% more food. People running supermarkets have these numbers at their fingertips and it shouldn't be a surprise to them. There was a chance in early February that we would face a real problem here and that it would mean a lockdown and I know plenty of people who stopped leaving home in the 2nd week of March and were starting to stock up on groceries. It wasn't until March 20th that pubs shut and the weekend following that was when the stockpiling and toilet roll shortage stories started appearing in the media. The shops had at least ten days to prepare for that and it could have easily imposed limits on items like soap, hand-sanitisers and toilet roll.

The opening of stores for just the old and vulnerable for the first hour was suggested on social media on around the 23rd but it took several days to come in. Throughout this thing it's been the public calling for things with the authorities and agencies being reactive rather than pro-active. In the early stages of this experiment people said that "ordinary" customers were getting involved, there was too much of a queue and a crush and vulnerable people were being brought into contact with others with no social distancing. It took days before the shops sorted this out, put staff outside, limited the numbers coming in, controlled the queues.

It's still very difficult to get delivery slots and this is baffling to me. If I was the government and I wanted people to stay home then why would I not encourage supermarkets to expand their deliveries? There are millions who are currently unemployed, tens of thousands of vans sitting idle and millions of customers sitting at home wishing they could get a slot rather than going out and risking their health. One supermarket that I know the details from have decided they don't want to expand their number of drivers and vans as they feel that this will be a temporary thing and it will waste money getting new vehicles, training staff and changing their systems only to lay them off again in a few months. They have instead moved staff from other parts of their business into their stores where people queue round the block and risk their health.

Surely plenty of people who have never quite embraced online shopping and deliveries will have been converted during this. Once the younger generation of the family set up an account for their mum or granny they'll surely realise it's much more convenient and stick with it. This seems like a massive error.

1/10 from me.

Don't know whether this is an attempt to provoke reaction or a serious comment?

Supermarkets are prioritising deliveries to the people at most risk.

Demand is no doubt unprecedented.

People who are capable of doing their own shopping should not be afraid to get off their own fat a....s and do their own shopping.
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    NChanning said:

1/10 from me.

I suggest you go spend a week working in a supermarket.
    The logistics of home delivery are not as easy as you seem to imagine.
    In a normal week the pickers start at about 5am and pick the items from the shelves in your local supermarket after the night team have stocked these shelves.
    With the current demand we are now picking from 2am but this causes problems as the delivery is still sat on pallets waiting to be worked.
    The aim is to have all picking completed by 8am to help with social distancing, less people on the shop floor when the doors open.
    The demand is unprecedented and in my store the online business is up 400% year on year. We are at breaking point and to increase this number would be nigh on impossible.
    You also seem to forget, as do many, that colleagues are employed to stock shelves and serve customers, they are not here to police the public, who in my experience dont seem to give a ****.
    The amount of confrontations I have had with trying to impose rationing is a poor reflection of the selfish society we now live in.
    And the amount of people who think scratchcards, cigs and alcohol are essential is a joke.
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    Nothing up at my supermarket after the initial panic by the numnuts, if I was panic buying it would not be toilet rolls I would be more interested in what goes in the other end. Well after the initial shortages I have pretty much been able to buy what I needed with little or no queuing and the staff are doing a great job in difficult circumstances 9/10.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    Re - Online shopping
    I saw a post from someone who was worried about going to the Supermarket , their ‘friend’ suggested doing what he does , it went along these lines-“It’s easy, I book lots of delivery slots and then cancel the ones I’m not going to use closer to the time”

These tough times highlight the selfish and ignorant , also the wonderful selfless people.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    My local Tesco Express still insists on having the security guard stood within two metres of the only door in and out of the shop, and I get the impression that a lot of their social distancing and hygiene measures (e.g. One way system and lines 2m apart stuck to the floor) are just doing the bare minimum to protect the company, because there's no limit afaik being enforced on how many people can be in the store, and very few staff (or customers) seem bothered about staying 2m away from you.

Stock has been okay though, so I'll give them 3/10 despite the above criticism. That's the only shop I've been in since the lockdown though, so obvs it could just be one store where nobody gives a ****.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,273
    We have had home delivery for the last 5+ years, however we now cannot get home delivery or even click and collect most weeks. Whilst understandable it is a shame that the supermarkets are not reacting quicker to this change in demand. My other half has been to Tesco on a Sunday afternoon a couple of times as this appears to be the quietest period. 7/10, would be 9/10 if we could still get home delivery.

I went out yesterday and popped into the local Jempsons store ( a smaller local supermarket which also has a post office) and also the Holland & Barratt health food shop.

Holland and Barratt was like a well run military operation, only 2 customers allowed in at any one time, two staff with virtually full PPE gear on, strict 2m distancing at all times, you scanned your own purchases and paid by contactless, also asked to add a small donation to the NHS, which I did. 9.5/10 (I know it's not a supermarket)

Jempsons was different, despite restricting the number of customers, who I have to say kept a strict 2m, the staff seemed much less bothered and were frequently walking very close to customers. 6/10.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Not perfect.

Scaremongering re "panic buying" (thereby encouraging it) early on. Not sure doing enough to protect own employees. Could do more in relation to home deliveries.

But doing well. Keeping to exacting logistical standards. 8/10.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,155
    I think that following the initial panic buying they have done very well. I go once a week to a large supermarket. It usually takes about 15 minutes to get in on a 30 out, 30 in basis with social distancing marked very clearly.

Staff are great and although some items are still very scarce, I find that I can get what I want.

The whole process outside of management is performed by minimum wage workers.
    From warehouse to shop floor to your door.

Not sure I'd take the risks for min wage, but I'm so grateful for those who do.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    I haven’t been to one! On line deliveries only which took a while to sort so

Ocado- overpriced...
    Morrison’s- now they’ve got their on line platform queue sorted! Excellent!
  • Options
    Definitely was serious Tai-Gar. Not sure why you thought I wasn't. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to encourage more people to go to supermarkets to risk their own health, the health of all supermarket staff and the families of both parties health. If I was running a major supermarket and I found there was a huge increase in demand for deliveries at the same time that a huge number of people needed jobs and a huge number of vans were idle I'd simply employ more order pickers, more van drivers and put on more delivery slots. I'd do that to protect the health of my staff and my customers and at the same time matching supply to demand.

• Options
    Hi Trebor, please don't think for one moment that I am giving the workers at these supermarkets anything less than 10/10. As with all people working to keep the country running during this terrible situation they deserve to be treated with huge respect by all of us at all times, they deserve safe working conditions and increased pay.

My criticism was purely of the management who simply must employ more people to pick orders, load and drive vans. They must do this as it's much safer and easier for their staff, it's much safer and easier for their customers and it's also much better for their business and the shareholders who they are legally obliged to maximise profits for. They have now had enough time to start sorting out these issues and it's not that it takes time and they haven't managed to complete the logistics, it's that they have decided they aren't going to expand the delivery side of their business.