You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

US Open sensation - Djokovic disqualified

2»

Comments

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Line judges get hit by the ball all the time, it goes with the job. What they don't expect is to get hit by a ball out of nowhere hit in anger. The picture I have seen of her seems to show she is genuinely struggling and probably a little in shock. Striking someone in the throat is one of the most effective techniques taught in self defence.

Remember a few years ago Denis Shapovalov nearly cost the umpire his sight in one eye and his career with a ball struck in anger, he was defaulted from the Davis Cup tie immediately. Again not intentional.

I just didn't see any anger in the way he hit the ball.
    There was certainly frustration, he snapped his wrist, so he certainly wasn't just dribbling the ball to the back of the court. A few minutes earlier he absolutely lamped a ball into the hoarding. He wasn't happy because he looked like he was going to lose a set he should have won.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    He's a silly man and there's no need to smash the ball like he did but cmon she went down like a knackered lift, he's paid the price and she's probably orate, move on
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,447
    Enut said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Line judges get hit by the ball all the time, it goes with the job. What they don't expect is to get hit by a ball out of nowhere hit in anger. The picture I have seen of her seems to show she is genuinely struggling and probably a little in shock. Striking someone in the throat is one of the most effective techniques taught in self defence.

Remember a few years ago Denis Shapovalov nearly cost the umpire his sight in one eye and his career with a ball struck in anger, he was defaulted from the Davis Cup tie immediately. Again not intentional.

I just didn't see any anger in the way he hit the ball.
    There was certainly frustration, he snapped his wrist, so he certainly wasn't just dribbling the ball to the back of the court. A few minutes earlier he absolutely lamped a ball into the hoarding. He wasn't happy because he looked like he was going to lose a set he should have won.
    I just dont buy it.
    He didnt hit the ball aggressively.
    There was very little backlift.
    The womans hand seemed to go to the side of her face rather than her throat.
    Nobody will ever convince me that this was deliberate.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    edited September 2020
    It wasn't deliberate no. I don't think anybody has suggested otherwise, but it was still out of order. In this instance maybe a warning would have been sufficient, but then where do you draw the line? Rules are rules. Tennis is full of players smashing rackets, sometimes quite dangerously, kicking advertising boards and hitting balls recklessly in anger. Hopefully incidents like this might make players think twice before throwing their toys out of the pram.
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    You'd think everyone would know the routine by now 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,447
    waller02 said:

It wasn't deliberate no. I don't think anybody has suggested otherwise, but it was still out of order. In this instance maybe a warning would have been sufficient, but then where do you draw the line? Rules are rules. Tennis is full of players smashing rackets, sometimes quite dangerously, kicking advertising boards and hitting balls recklessly in anger. Hopefully incidents like this might make players think twice before throwing their toys out of the pram.

The punishment does seem excessive.
    It seems that the umpire was in agreement that it was not deliberate.
    His punishment therefore unfortunately hinged upon whether the line judge was hurt.
    I say unfortunately, as she seemed to be a bit of a drama queen.
    I have looked at the incident a couple of times, and the ball seems to have struck her on the side of her face, rather than her throat.
    I am not claiming to be some sort of forensic expert, but the way the ball bounces off her makes it seem like it has come into contact with a hard surface like her cheek, or the side of her head, rather than a soft part of her body like her throat.