You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Wuhan.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,267
‘Extremely unlikely’ that Covid spread from Wuhan lab leak, says WHO

This aerial view shows the P4 laboratory (L) on the campus of the Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan in China's central Hubei province on May 27, 2020. - Opened in 2018, the P4 lab conducts research on the world's most dangerous diseases and has been accused by some top US officials of being the source of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. China's foreign minister on May 24 said the country was "open" to international cooperation to identify the source of the disease, but any investigation must be led by the World Health Organization and "free of political interference". (Photo by Hector RETAMAL / AFP) (Photo by HECTOR RETAMAL/AFP via Getty Images)

It is "extremely unlikely" that coronavirus spread from a Chinese laboratory leak and no further work is needed to investigate this theory, the World Health Organisation has concluded.

The WHO said that its ongoing probe into the origins of Sars-CoV-2, the virus responsible for Covid-19, had uncovered new information but had not dramatically changed the picture of the outbreak in the city of Wuhan.

"The findings suggest lab incident hypothesis is extremely unlikely to explain the introduction of the virus into the human population," said Dr Peter Ben Embarek, leader of the WHO investigation.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/extremely-unlikely-that-covid-spread-from-wuhan-lab-leak-says-who/ar-BB1dwHec?ocid=msedgntp

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,728

Good luck in getting the conspiracy theory nutjobs to believe that. Finger-pointing is their speciality act.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Good luck in getting the conspiracy theory nutjobs to believe that. Finger-pointing is their speciality act.

I didnt think of that, good point.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I am safer sticking to Gorilla Glue stories.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

If I was still in school, I could see myself writing the the following out, 100 times.

I must not provide ammunition for conspiracy theory nutjobs.

I promise to try harder.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    China does give funding to the WHO and so do many many countries but could that have any influence in there findings ,it shouldn't but could it ,we'll never know i suppose
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    stokefc said:

China does give funding to the WHO and so do many many countries but could that have any influence in there findings ,it shouldn't but could it ,we'll never know i suppose

• Options
    edited February 2021
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedros_Adhanom

"During its 140th meeting in January 2017, the Executive Board of the WHO shortlisted Tedros as the front runner out of six candidates through two rounds of secret voting. He collected the most votes during both rounds.[citation needed] Tedros "was supported by a bloc of African and Asian countries, including China, which has considerable influence with those members" while "the US, UK and Canada... lent their support to... the British doctor David Nabarro." One observer called it "a really nasty" election.[53]"

"In January 2020, Tedros met with Chinese leaders including Foreign Minister Wang Yi and paramount leader Xi Jinping about COVID-19"

"On 31 January 2020, the WHO declared the COVID-19 outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).[90] During the PHEIC announcement, Tedros stated there was no cause to limit trade or travel with China and said "Let me be clear, this declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China"

"On 18 October 2017, Tedros announced that he had chosen President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe to serve as a WHO Goodwill Ambassador to help tackle non-communicable diseases for Africa.[77] He said Zimbabwe was "a country that places universal health coverage and health promotion at the centre of its policies to provide health care to all." Mugabe's appointment was severely criticised, with WHO member states and international organisations saying that Zimbabwe's healthcare system had in fact gone backwards under his regime, as well as pointing out Mugabe's many human rights abuses. It was also noted that Mugabe himself does not use his own country's health system, instead travelling to Singapore for treatment.[78][79] Observers said Tedros was returning a campaign favour. Mugabe was chair of the African Union when Tedros was endorsed as a sole African Union candidate in a murky process that did not consider qualified alternatives like Michel Sidibé of Mali and Awa Marie Coll-Seck of Senegal.[80] His judgement was widely questioned on social media. The editor-in-chief of Lancet, a prominent medical journal, called Tedros "Dictator-General."[81] After a widespread condemnation, on 22 October 2017 Tedros rescinded Mugabe's goodwill ambassador role.[82][83]"
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Tikay10 said:

Your point very quickly proven, Tikay
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Your point very quickly proven, Tikay
    Aup now mate, just because people don't believe everything that China says doesn't mean they are nutjobs, you only have to look how they treat their people
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,051
    BBC2 Tonight at 1:30am, 54 Days: China and the Pandemic.

A year ago, Beijing stunned the world when it locked down Wuhan, a city of 11 million people. For weeks, Chinese officials had maintained that the outbreak was under control – just a few dozen cases linked to a live animal market. 54 Days tells the story of the events that led to the lockdown and the gulf between what Chinese officials and scientists knew and what they told the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFBgYHhBfNA
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    China bans BBC World News from broadcasting
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56030340
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

BBC2 Tonight at 1:30am, 54 Days: China and the Pandemic.

A year ago, Beijing stunned the world when it locked down Wuhan, a city of 11 million people. For weeks, Chinese officials had maintained that the outbreak was under control – just a few dozen cases linked to a live animal market. 54 Days tells the story of the events that led to the lockdown and the gulf between what Chinese officials and scientists knew and what they told the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFBgYHhBfNA

Having just watched this and based on the evidence shown China attempted a mass cover up of the facts to the world. If they hadn't took those actions perhaps we wouldn't be living in the times we're now in.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    This is more than enough evidence for me.

• Options

Have you watched the programme ?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment that if you click to watch the video, the message comes up saying 'video unavailable'.

Hence screengrabbing the picture.

And yes, I've just watched it now.
  • Options

lucy4 said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment that if you click to watch the video, the message comes up saying 'video unavailable'.

Sorry I thought you was commenting without seeing the programme,I didn't know the video was 'unavailable' on other forums. What did you think of the programme ?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

lucy4 said:

Sorry I thought you was commenting without seeing the programme,I didn't know the video was 'unavailable' on other forums. What did you think of the programme ?
    It was alright, kept me occupied for 70 minutes if nothing else.

Didn't think anything in it was particularly revealing or earth shattering.

Not sure if it was made as an informative piece or an attempted exposé of China.... kinda ended up coming across as a clumsy mix of the 2; China being secretive is hardly a new thing.

For the appalling handling of the pandemic here in the UK, I point the finger at a government, but it's certainly not the Chinese government.