You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

KK vs AA

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: KK vs AA:
    Anthony Holden played in a heads up tournament that tikay was playing in aswell i think it was poker writers and anaylists against students or something along those lines...... was a few weeks ago i read it sure tikay will correct me if thats wrong.
    Posted by robc
    Correct. And incorrect!

It was about 5 years ago, & we held it at the Village Hotel in Walsall, we held it there as there was a big Tourney going off at Grosvenor Walsall, just across the road, & it meant we could get a few "faces" involved. It was Pros v Students, organized by a Students Poker League that my business partner at the time, Dave Colclough, set up. He then disappeared, & left me to sort it out! "Just get me some faces" he said.

I can't exactly remember who I got, but I know it included Pascal Perrault, Mickey Wernick, Marc Goodwin, Julian Thew, Jen Mason, etc, & a famous poker player who shall remain nameless, as he nicked £500 from the proceeds.

Tony Holden is a bit of an "interesting" character, & until the "indoor smoking ban", I've never seen him without a ciggie in his mouth. He's a bit of a poker politician these days, behind the scenes.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    edited March 2010
    I met 'old man Smurfitt' (their Father) in the '70's when I too owned a packaging company. Mine was slightly smaller than his. That is all :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    I always got the impression that their father was "the brains", and it's fair to say, most of Alan's millions have been spent on gambling, women, & hedonism generally. Obv, he wasted the rest.
  • Options
    dub1dub1 Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2010
    OMG you've stated something here dub1, and its got nothing to do with KK vs AA. Is it even about poker is is it about trains or soming. :(
  • Options
    dub1dub1 Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2010
    Only joking. Thanks Seagull158 for anwsering my question
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited March 2010
    In Response to KK vs AA:
    How often should you be seeing KK vs AA? This seems to happen alot and people are always complaining about it. I looked on Google and all the usual conspiracy theories came up about how online poker is rigged.   I've done some calculations and worked out that i should have KK vs AA 1 time every 9057 hands. Is this correct? If it is then that would mean playing on a six max table KK vs AA should happen to someone every 1510 hands. So if I play 6 tables, seeing 100 hands per hour on each table for 8 hours a day, I should see KK vs AA 3 times a day and should have it happed to me 1 time every 2 days. Not sure if my maths is correct. Can anyone shed any light on this. Thanks 
    Posted by dub1

Hey mate, poker sucks. Be sure of that.

This month I have played a stupid amount of hands. I managed to run KK into AA 14 times in the first three weeks (didn't win one!!) and had AA vs KK 3 times I think and I won twice!! 

It's all just luck and randomness. And what you have to remember is the first line of my post, poker sucks.... big time!!!!

Or at least it can do when things aren't going right. Just keep playing your best and things will turn around (or at least that's what i'm hoping!!!).

GL at the tables.
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: KK vs AA : Correct. And incorrect! It was about 5 years ago, & we held it at the Village Hotel in Walsall, we held it there as there was a big Tourney going off at Grosvenor Walsall, just across the road, & it meant we could get a few "faces" involved. It was Pros v Students, organized by a Students Poker League that my business partner at the time, Dave Colclough, set up. He then disappeared, & left me to sort it out! "Just get me some faces" he said. I can't exactly remember who I got, but I know it included Pascal Perrault, Mickey Wernick, Marc Goodwin, Julian Thew, Jen Mason, etc, & a famous poker player who shall remain nameless, as he nicked £500 from the proceeds. Tony Holden is a bit of an "interesting" character, & until the "indoor smoking ban", I've never seen him without a ciggie in his mouth. He's a bit of a poker politician these days, behind the scenes.
    Posted by Tikay10

Youv'e  got me scrolling back through the book now to see if i can figure out who this player is lol don't worry i wont post it if i find out. you should defiantly post the blog that's another reason i said about the book as your blogs always have these type of tales in them which always keeps me interested.

I will keep a eye out for future blogs and stories. Hope to see you at the tables soon.

Rob
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited March 2010
    With the odds of AA v KK being 9000 to one give or take, this would occur about every 15 minutes on here as thats how many hands are played if you check the hand numbers, thats why we get so many bad beat stories, its just the sheer number of hands being played at once that make this occur, but for every bad beat, there are hundreds of non bad beats (excuse my english) out there.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    In Response to KK vs AA:
    How often should you be seeing KK vs AA? This seems to happen alot and people are always complaining about it. I looked on Google and all the usual conspiracy theories came up about how online poker is rigged.   I've done some calculations and worked out that i should have KK vs AA 1 time every 9057 hands. Is this correct? If it is then that would mean playing on a six max table KK vs AA should happen to someone every 1510 hands. So if I play 6 tables, seeing 100 hands per hour on each table for 8 hours a day, I should see KK vs AA 3 times a day and should have it happed to me 1 time every 2 days. Not sure if my maths is correct. Can anyone shed any light on this. Thanks 
    Posted by dub1

I don't think that this is quite correct.
    The odds of getting AA are 220 to 1 or 1 in 221.
    The odds of another player getting KK are the same (in fact slightly  better since 2 aces have been removed from the deck).
    Therefore the odds of getting AA v KK heads-up would be 1/221 * 1/221 * 2 (roughly) which is 24,420 to 1.

The odds of getting AA v KK on a 6 player table is roughly 1/221 * 1/221 * 30 which is 1627 to 1.
    (The figure of 30 comes from there being 30 permutations of 2 hands between 6 players).

I'd say that a more realistic number of hands per hour is 50.
    Therefore, you could expect to see this situation at your table once in every 32 or 33 player hours.
    So, using your 6 tables for 8 hours a day rate, I'd say you'd expect to see it about 1.5 times a day.

You'd have it happen to you (i.e. have either the AA or KK in this coup) about a third of this amount so about once every two days.

As always, I'm happy to be corrected.

• Options
    blade900blade900 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: KK vs AA : Err, pass. The Event was won by a guy called Alan Smurfit, who's a pal of sorts. Alan's brother Michael owns the "K Club", a seriously pricey Golf Club & Resort in Ireland, where the Ryder Cup was held. Michael, Alan, & two other brothers, were the major shareholders, & used to run, the Smurfit Packaging Group, which was sold to a Swedish Packaging company for about €3.5 billion. Alan then went on to win a WSOP Bracelet - (in Pot Limit, of all things, which is  a far more-skilled format than No-Limit) - at his first attempt, in 2007. Alan lived in Florida for many years, as he ran the South American arm of the business, but he lives - & very well, I may add - In Las Vegas these days. When Alan plays poker, he always places his WSOP bracelet on the Table, next to his chips. And why not?
    Posted by Tikay10
    smurfitt is a big employer round my way,and generally known as a generous and good sort,didnt know he played poker lol.........id love a game with him hes well minted!(he might be more minted after though!)