You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£11s Head to Head Challenge | thedazzman 89 - 49 Asho28

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 933
edited April 2022 in Poker Chat
As some of you may be aware, myself and @Asho28 both had diaries/blogs last year. Because we were pretty much similar in our poker ability and played primarily the same type of games, we had a thought that it would be a nice idea to have a joint forum challenge/blog. That intention was put to the back of our minds.

Fast forward to now, and we have finally settled on a concept.

Since we are both kind of bankroll nits - mainly sticking to MTTs with buyins of £5 or less - we felt a perfect challenge would be involving one buyin higher than our traditional games. The £11 tournaments.

We dismissed the premise of a volume or profit based challenge, as that would be a little unfair if one played a lot more than the other. So we devised a scoring system.

When both playing in the same £11 MTT points would be awarded as follows;

Last longer: 3
Heads: 1 per head
Eliminating each other: 2
Cashing: 2
Final Tabling: 5
2nd: 5
1st: 12

We will use this thread to document our results and progress. There is no plan for ending this challenge. It could be a success, it may not. We will play it by ear for the time-being, and may reevaluate things once underway.

It's just a bit of friendly rivalry and healthy competition and furthermore, a little bit more activity for this excellent forum.

We will likely begin this challenge in the coming days.

See you at the tables, and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Good luck both
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Nice idea. Might be good to track P/L as you go too even though it doesn’t feature in your scoring system, just so we can see how you’re getting on as you’re moving up stakes. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks @waller02

Yes @bbMike I am always keeping track of my P/L anyway, and definitely something we can include.

I am sure I can speak for both of us, but we'd be delighted if we came out with any sort of profit from this.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Best of luck guys.

Will you be including £11 rebuy bounty hunters in this? Ukops will be here soon and nightly Ukops Mini is usually an £11r.
  • Options

Best of luck guys.

Will you be including £11 rebuy bounty hunters in this? Ukops will be here soon and nightly Ukops Mini is usually an £11r.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if there's [m]any regular 11r in the schedule, but personally I'd be reluctant playing them until at least made a bit of profit from 11s. Rebuys can become costly!

However, I always like to take plenty of shots during the online series, and if the 11r you speak of happens to fall on a convenient evening, I'd be keen on including it for sure.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,174
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    sounds fun. GLGL :)

Now which team to support??
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    PKRPar said:

sounds fun. GLGL :)

Now which team to support??

TYTY

Erm, you could go with your heart, and support your fellow countryman...

or you could go with your head and support the better player...

That should leave you with no other choice than to support meeeeeeeee, ofc! :p

@Asho28 may have another argument to the contrary though, so don't make your mind up just yet :D
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited March 2022
    Yep, really looking forward to this. Just something a bit of fun and different, and also contributes to the forum.

There is a clear favourite for this challenge (for the avoidance of doubt, it is not me! :smile: ), but ultimately it's just a fun little head-to-head competition that we came up with. And on a personal note, will give me some more experience of £11 games and will hopefully give me the confidence to play more of them going forward.

Think the plan is to kick this off tomorrow, but as thedazzman says we'll just play it by ear and see how it goes.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    bbMike said:

Nice idea. Might be good to track P/L as you go too even though it doesn’t feature in your scoring system, just so we can see how you’re getting on as you’re moving up stakes. Best of luck.

Yep, I'm happy to do this.
  • Options
    Asho28 said:

There is a clear favourite for this challenge (for the avoidance of doubt, it is not me! :smile: )

RUBBISH!
  • Options
    We are planning on playing our first games of this challenge tonight.

The £500 BHs at 20:15 & 21:30.

Let's do this!
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,632

We are planning on playing our first games of this challenge tonight.

The £500 BHs at 20:15 & 21:30.

Let's do this!

Good luck yous two and have fun
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The suspense can now end.

Our first evening of the challenge, proved quite uneventful. We played 2 games, and both thought the standard of play was not much higher than our normal games. Perhaps a few more regs playing, which will always make life more difficult over time.

We lasted longer in 1 game each, however, having no cashes between us, @Asho28 did however take 3 heads to my zero, giving him the lead after day 1.

Funnily enough, we both got seated on the same table at the start of each game. We failed to knock each other out,

Current Score
    Dazz 3 - 6 Asho

All being well, our next challenge games may be on Saturday.

Until then, good luck at the tables.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We played a few games over the weekend.

And it wouldn't be much of an understatement saying that one of us did much better than the other.

Game on, is what I say!

Results To Date

Totals & Stats To Date

Current Challenge Score
    Daz 7 - 31 Asho

I guess I better get the finger out. That @Asho28 guy seems the type to start getting too big for his boots. :D

As much of our free-time doesn't coincide much, we will unlikely be adding many more games for another week or two.

Thanks for reading,

Good luck at the tables
  • Options

We played a few games over the weekend.

And it wouldn't be much of an understatement saying that one of us did much better than the other.

Game on, is what I say!

Results To Date

Totals & Stats To Date

Current Challenge Score
    Daz 7 - 31 Asho

I guess I better get the finger out. That @Asho28 guy seems the type to start getting too big for his boots. :D

As much of our free-time doesn't coincide much, we will unlikely be adding many more games for another week or two.

Thanks for reading,

Good luck at the tables
    Haha, still early days and one or two deep runs in your favour could change things.

I'll enjoy my lead while it lasts. :smile:
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,806
    This looks fun - well done.
  • Options
    gibbzygibbzy Member Posts: 75
    great idea good luck to both of you - interested in the step up of buy in to the perceived standard of play compared to our usual levels - look forward to your feed back on that bit to. Best of luck both decent players
  • Options
    We managed to play tonight. I'm in the huff. So not got much to say. @Asho28 is running amok!

I could say it's my plan all along. False sense of security yadda, yadda. But I'd be lying!

Results to date

Totals & Stats

Current Score
    Dazz 10 - 48 Asho

Our next challenge games will likely not be until Easter Weekend.

Good luck at the tables.

Thanks for reading
  • Options
    We're back!

They say to never stop while on a poker heater (loosely defined here, of course). Unfortunately for @Asho28 , that's what he did. He went gallivanting around the country for a week. He did admit though, he missed us all and enjoyed his return to the tables.

Fortunately for me, though, the tides turned a little.

I don't want to gloat or brag... much, but my fellow opponent caught my bug and totally came out pointless tonight. Hahahaha hahahaaaa, ha ha ha!

That's enough, dazzman! >:)

The results speak for themselves and Asho is still firmly ahead. It was getting slightly out of hand, so I am pleased to gain some ground.

Results to date

Totals & Stats

Current Score
    Dazz 25 - 48 Asho

Thoughts going forward. We had the idea that the complete challenge would be a race to 500 points. So for at least the time-being that's how and when we will conclude it.

@gibbzy regarding your question about the standard of play. We both still believe what we initially thought. The standard of play doesn't differ a whole lot from the lower buyin games. No disrespect to anyone, there's still plenty of questionable play, but there's quite a few more solid regular players which ultimately make them that bit more difficult.

We may play more games tomorrow evening.

Good luck at the tables

&

Thanks for reading