You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Crusher study group

2»

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958

Study groups value is capped at the best player. You'll find most just end up with everyone asking the best player what they would do in a spot. Good if you can get it ofc.

There is a lot of sense in that. But, IMO, it is (or at least should be) a little more complex than that.

1. The "best player" varies from spot to spot. Although, of course, making sure you are not trusting van Dijk up front and Harry Kane in goal is important!

2. Group chat can help eliminate major leaks in your game

3. There is no 1 "style" that works. It is important to be able to change gears, so as to be playing the opposite style to the rest of the table and/or your table image. Study groups can help you on your quest to play the opposite way to your natural style, and can provide alternative lines to how your opponents perceive you

If you are starting out, just listening to the best player works. But there comes a stage where there needs to be a genuine exchange of views
  • Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,529
    It was going for a good couple of years had a good group of players with chrisdonkb groggy rspca amongst many others.

Obviously we all had decent results anyway so hard to say if it improved any of us. It ended up just being a bit of a sweat thread come the end topped off by Chris's 10th place in the Sunday 10 million.

I still play a decent amount given I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old but alot of my volume is elsewhere for a variety of reason including more turbo mtts midweek when I have to work the next day.

I am also very lucky that I have alvez to chat to and run spots by but the group was great all fantastic lads.

And yeah Phil is spot on for instance groggy and alvez would be perfect from 10 -25bb whereas someone like Dean may be better at 3b and defence frequencies
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397

Study groups value is capped at the best player. You'll find most just end up with everyone asking the best player what they would do in a spot. Good if you can get it ofc.

I like and agree with this. To be straight about it I speak this way as it's a quick and broad stroke explanation.

From a fellow 2 or 3 sentence guy :)

I see Essexphil has quoted this and not got to it just yet..... sure he will give a more involved explanation :D

Sorry in advance Phil :smile:
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    So I am clear - the group I mentioned was another group of Itsover4u's not the "crusher" group in case anyone was like WTF Cammy your rotten :o:smile::blush:
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    Cammykaze said:

I like and agree with this. To be straight about it I speak this way as it's a quick and broad stroke explanation.

From a fellow 2 or 3 sentence guy :)

I see Essexphil has quoted this and not got to it just yet..... sure he will give a more involved explanation :D

Sorry in advance Phil :smile:
    I thought I had :)

When you get players of broadly similar ability in a group, the "best" is a mixture of bits of different players' games.

So-to use the example from the group, I believe rspca/groggy have different strengths. They both have excellent all-round games, but you would learn more from 1 rather than the other in certain spots.

That is very different from a situation where 1 person is streets ahead of everyone else, which has a different (and still valuable) learning curve.
  • FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited May 2022
    @Doubleme They would also be sharing exactly how they play with you so it puts you on equal footing and can become a fun levelling meta-game.
    I think forming contacts with other determined players of similar ability in the same games is probably the most effective way to improve, although 1 on 1/ smaller groups are better.

There will be tons of spots that you will repeatedly misplay or play sub-optimally and never know until you discuss it with others. There will be plays others make that you never even considered as an option but you realise is much better than your previous approach was. There will be spots where your thought process is flawed and the same all applies to them. You can get practical advice on how to best adjust to the player pools in the games you're playing.

I first talked with Stayorgo when I was a very tight, slightly winning recreational and talking with him made me realise playing more aggressively was a much better strategy.

I first talked with RSPCA12 when I was making a modest side income from poker and we were both grinding tournaments on here (him being the much more established player) and It helped me improve a lot shallower (especially push fold)

I first talked with Stack_u when I was making a modest wage from poker. I was a bad 100bb reg and he was an established reg on a prolonged downswing and wanted someone to bounce ideas around with to make sure he wasn't misplaying loads of hands (he wasn't) and it made me realise how bad/flawed a lot of my thought processes and bet sizing was and helped me improve at 100bb a lot.

I first talked with AlanCarr12 when we were both playing the same £30 capped games (I was better) and within a year/ 18 months we were both playing £2000nl. Unfortunately he is overall the better player these days.

Granted the game was less solved back then and it was easier to move up stakes, but having players to bounce ideas around with helped speed that rise up the stakes by a huge amount. It was much more useful than any of the training sites I was signed up with at the time.