You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape.

2»

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,980
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

On the assumption this is not Mark Francois, this shows how social media has eroded the protections we are all entitled to.

I can't stand the man. But various sources have claimed he is a Rapist. When he is not.

I don't dislike anyone in the World enough to not feel for them when they are wrongly accused of a hideous crime like this. And a certain amount of mud will stick.

So do you think it would be better to name the suspect after they are charged, to avoid speculation?
    This is the 2nd time there has been feverish speculation about whether Mark Francois may be a Rapist-the same happened in December 2020. When the speculation died down when the Police said there was insufficient evidence in relation to that alleged offence (I have no idea which MP this was, or if it was the same matter)

It is the very worst sort of speculation. It disgusts me. It is the 21st Century version of the Lynch Mob.

Who would be comfortable if someone on Social Media started calling them a rapist?

There is a world of difference between being a horrible man. And a horrible rapist.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

On the assumption this is not Mark Francois, this shows how social media has eroded the protections we are all entitled to.

I can't stand the man. But various sources have claimed he is a Rapist. When he is not.

I don't dislike anyone in the World enough to not feel for them when they are wrongly accused of a hideous crime like this. And a certain amount of mud will stick.

So do you think it would be better to name the suspect after they are charged, to avoid speculation?
    This is an important question. But 1 without an easy answer.

The easy bit is that no-one should be treated in this way prior to any charge being brought. But after any Charge is not a simple question.

People are always big on 2 things in the situation. The rights of the victims, and the safety of the Public. The trouble is, these 2 goals tend to have diametrically opposite outcomes.

Once you name the person, the identities of the Victims rapidly become known. Often, with terrible consequences for the families involved. Of victims, and the person who may well be Innocent.

I think the identity should normally only be made clear on a plea of Guilty or a Conviction.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,814
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is the 2nd time there has been feverish speculation about whether Mark Francois may be a Rapist-the same happened in December 2020. When the speculation died down when the Police said there was insufficient evidence in relation to that alleged offence (I have no idea which MP this was, or if it was the same matter)

It is the very worst sort of speculation. It disgusts me. It is the 21st Century version of the Lynch Mob.

Who would be comfortable if someone on Social Media started calling them a rapist?

There is a world of difference between being a horrible man. And a horrible rapist.
    Cant argue with that.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The easy bit is that no-one should be treated in this way prior to any charge being brought. But after any Charge is not a simple question.

People are always big on 2 things in the situation. The rights of the victims, and the safety of the Public. The trouble is, these 2 goals tend to have diametrically opposite outcomes.

Once you name the person, the identities of the Victims rapidly become known. Often, with terrible consequences for the families involved. Of victims, and the person who may well be Innocent.

I think the identity should normally only be made clear on a plea of Guilty or a Conviction.
    The problem is that the names of the alleged perpetrator, and victim will be widely known, in parliament, police force, and the media, and very shortly the general public will be informed via social media.
    Therefore, as much as it makes sense to keep their names secret, in reality it is not going to happen.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The details released on the victim will probably allow many people in parliament to identify him.
    The MP will lose the whip if charged, removing any doubt as to his identity.
    In the meantime he will be conspicuous by his absence, as Michael Fabricant pointed out.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,810
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Very good post, and I've certainly been guilty of ill-informed speculation from time to time.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

You make a very clear point about something that is anything but.

Man who accused Tory MP of rape ‘was a teenager when they met’

The Tory MP arrested this week on suspicion of rape was accused by a male politician who was in his teens when they met, it has been reported.

The unnamed man in his 50s, who was bailed pending further inquiries on Wednesday, was also detained on suspicion of indecent assault, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in public office. Scotland Yard said the sexual offences were allegedly committed between 2002 and 2009.

According to The Telegraph, the accused first met the complainant, said to be 20 years younger than him, when he was a teenager, and the MP was in his 30s.

The newspaper quotes sources familiar with the case as saying the pair became friends but fell out in 2019 before a police report was made the following January.

The Prime Minister’s press secretary told reporters that Mr Johnson was ‘shocked to learn of these allegations’.

However, she batted away questions about why MPs had previously been suspended by the Tories during probes but that the same approach was not being taken with the arrested politician.

The spokeswoman went on to suggest that if the MP was to be charged, they could expect to ‘lose the whip’.

Rita Dexter, a lay member of the Commons Standards Committee, described the situation as a ‘calamity’ and questioned the rationale behind the decision not to suspend the anonymous MP.

She posted on Twitter: ‘It’s all very well to ask him to stay away, but what about the many constituency venues where that is not applicable?

‘I am also a former deputy commissioner of London Fire Brigade. Without hesitation I would have approved a suspension from work.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/19/tory-rape-arrest-mps-accuser-is-male-who-was-teen-when-they-met-16670710/
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

You make a very clear point about something that is anything but.

Man who accused Tory MP of rape ‘was a teenager when they met’

The Tory MP arrested this week on suspicion of rape was accused by a male politician who was in his teens when they met, it has been reported.

The unnamed man in his 50s, who was bailed pending further inquiries on Wednesday, was also detained on suspicion of indecent assault, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in public office. Scotland Yard said the sexual offences were allegedly committed between 2002 and 2009.

According to The Telegraph, the accused first met the complainant, said to be 20 years younger than him, when he was a teenager, and the MP was in his 30s.

The newspaper quotes sources familiar with the case as saying the pair became friends but fell out in 2019 before a police report was made the following January.

The Prime Minister’s press secretary told reporters that Mr Johnson was ‘shocked to learn of these allegations’.

However, she batted away questions about why MPs had previously been suspended by the Tories during probes but that the same approach was not being taken with the arrested politician.

The spokeswoman went on to suggest that if the MP was to be charged, they could expect to ‘lose the whip’.

Rita Dexter, a lay member of the Commons Standards Committee, described the situation as a ‘calamity’ and questioned the rationale behind the decision not to suspend the anonymous MP.

She posted on Twitter: ‘It’s all very well to ask him to stay away, but what about the many constituency venues where that is not applicable?

‘I am also a former deputy commissioner of London Fire Brigade. Without hesitation I would have approved a suspension from work.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/19/tory-rape-arrest-mps-accuser-is-male-who-was-teen-when-they-met-16670710/
    I am sure more details will emerge, but I cant help thinking that the two of them became friends despite the alleged offences taking place, and it was only after they fell out that these offences were reported to the police.
    Sadly, reading between the lines, this sort of situation is not uncommon.

It seems likely that the 2 people were in some form of relationship between 2002 and 2009. Then were friends until about 2019. Then the complaint was made.

The younger person was likely to be aged 16 or 17 in 2002. Because "abuse of Trust" relates to certain positions of power whereby the age of consent is raised from 16 to 18 due to the potential for inappropriate pressure. There are various exceptions where it is 16 & not 18, for example (amazingly) sports coaches.

The complainant waited until he was about 33 to raise these allegations. I am not saying that to in any way denigrate him-it is often the case that there are all sorts of pressures involved. But that delay may cause problems in bringing charges.

The younger man is described as a politician-he may be an MP, or a Councillor. He (like the MP) may wish not to make public his sexuality. Not least because many Conservative politicians have campaigned vigorously to suppress LGBT rights.

If this man is charged, this will, at some stage, become more public.

If. Little word. Big meaning.
    Essexphil said:

It seems likely that the 2 people were in some form of relationship between 2002 and 2009. Then were friends until about 2019. Then the complaint was made.

The younger person was likely to be aged 16 or 17 in 2002. Because "abuse of Trust" relates to certain positions of power whereby the age of consent is raised from 16 to 18 due to the potential for inappropriate pressure. There are various exceptions where it is 16 & not 18, for example (amazingly) sports coaches.

The complainant waited until he was about 33 to raise these allegations. I am not saying that to in any way denigrate him-it is often the case that there are all sorts of pressures involved. But that delay may cause problems in bringing charges.

The younger man is described as a politician-he may be an MP, or a Councillor. He (like the MP) may wish not to make public his sexuality. Not least because many Conservative politicians have campaigned vigorously to suppress LGBT rights.

I thought that the younger man may have been on the MPs staff.

his arrest on suspicion of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in a public office.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I thought that the younger man may have been on the MPs staff.

his arrest on suspicion of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in a public office.
    Almost certainly. That or an intern. May have been on his staff until 2009, or 2019.
    www.topinfoguide.com › crime › andrew-rosindell-isAndrew Rosindell: Is Romford MP Andrew Rosindell Arrested ...
    Andrew Rosindell is suspected to be a Tory MP. He has been charged with sexual assault. On May 17, 2022, according to a unit provide, the Metropolitan Police investigated the case and detained Andrew. He has served as a result of the Member of Parliament for the Romford constituency in Greater London since 2001.

www.yemfoundation.org › who-is-andrew-rosindellWho Is Andrew Rosindell? Why Tory MP Andrew Rosindell Arrest ...
    Andrew Roseindell has a lot of popularity. He is a politician and a member of parliament for the Romford Constituency of Greater London. He has been serving his country since 2001. Andrew was a prominent pro-Brexit supporter. Andrew was arrested for a variety of inappropriate offenses that he is accused of committing between 2002 and 2008.

showbizcorner.com › andrew-rosindell-arersted-toryNews: Andrew Rosindell Was Arrested - Tory MP Rape and Sexual ...
    May 17, 2022 08:22 PM MP Andrew Rosindell has also been named a Tory MP arrested on Sexual Assault. The Twitter reaction suggests that the conservative party MP might be charged with sexual misconduct. The Conservative MP for Romford, Andrew Rosindell, has been rumored to be detained on suspicion of sexual offenses.

www.yemfoundation.org › why-andrew-rosindellWhy Andrew Rosindell Arrested? Andrew Rosindell Arrest ...
    This is to inform you that Andrew Rosindell, a Tory MP, has been arrested. You may have seen an article about a Tory MP accused of sexual offenses if you are a regular visitor. The ongoing allegations of sexual offenses are being brought up by the Tory MP. This news is true, and Andrew Rosindell was arrested by the Metropolitan Police.

www.mixedarticle.com › is-andrew-rosindell-wifeWho Is Andrew Rosindell Wife? Is It Tamsin Thomas? Tory MP ...
    Andrew Rosindell is said to be a Tory MP, who has also been charged with sexual assault. The Conservative MP's Twitter reaction indicated he could face sexual misconduct charges. Andrew Rosindell, the Conservative MP for Romford, has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offenses.

theancestory.com › andrew-rosindellWho Is Andrew Rosindell? Why was Tory MP Andrew Rosindell ...
    Andrew Roseindell is known by a lot of people. He is a politician and a member of parliament for Greater London’s Romford Constituency. Since 2001, he has worked for the country. Andrew was a prominent pro-Brexit person. He has been arrested on suspicion of committing a number of wrongdoings from 2002 to 2008.

filmyvip.com › the-tory-mp-arrested-for-rape-isThe Tory MP Arrested For Rape Is Named And Its Andrew ...
    The Tory MP Arrested For Rape Is Named And Its Andrew Rosindell, Banned From Commons by hemantgunjal May 18, 2022 0 20 Twitter has been engulfed with the posts of Tory MP who’s