You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Boris; Vote of (No) Confidence is tonight

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594
edited June 2022 in The Rail

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,593
    Timing not great.

This would have been more appropriate prior to the invasion of Ukraine IMO.

Who on earth could they put forward as as alternative leader?

They no doubt in a stream without a paddle.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    Just want to expose 1 lie that is doing the rounds.

If Boris wins, he is most certainly not immune from a leadership challenge. The only thing that cannot happen for a year is that there cannot be a Conservative-led leadership challenge.

There is nothing to stop Labour (or anyone else) seeking a vote of no confidence at the appropriate time. And nothing to stop Conservative MPs voting in favour of it.

Because, unless a lot has happened that I've missed, we are still living in a Democracy.
  • Options

What a state British politics is in when Boris is likely to survive because there is no better alternative.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

What a state British politics is in when Boris is likely to survive because there is no better alternative.

Sadder than that.

It is not that there are not better alternatives. For the country. Both in Labour, and the Conservatives.

Just that there are no better alternatives for sitting Tory MPs...
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

Sir Roger Gale, who represents North Thanet and is a vocal Johnson critic, refused to "name names" but said he believed there were some "very good alternatives to the prime minister" within the party.

“There is a list of people ... who are likely to run [if Johnson loses the vote]," he told the BBC.

“Any single one of those people in my view would make a better prime minister than the one that we've got at the moment and as I said, I think we're spoilt for choice."
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

Sadder than that.

It is not that there are not better alternatives. For the country. Both in Labour, and the Conservatives.

Just that there are no better alternatives for sitting Tory MPs...
    Are you thinking of this Phil?

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Actually I think Boris saw this was a possibility at some point and that's why he appointed unknowns with little experience to the Cabinet.

I personally think he's a reprehensible little man but a little like Claudius (who played the fool and fooled them all) has the political savvy to survive.

At the moment there is no credible leader and no credible opposition.
  • Options

And the problem is, if he survives it - & I assume he will - it puts all his nefarious activities to bed & he starts with a clean slate.
  • Options
    He has engineered all this to happen before the next 2 by-elections later this month.

Where he (and his Candidates) are going to get slaughtered. And the majority of Tory MPs will be fearing losing their seat at the next election.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Actually I think Boris saw this was a possibility at some point and that's why he appointed unknowns with little experience to the Cabinet.

I personally think he's a reprehensible little man but a little like Claudius (who played the fool and fooled them all) has the political savvy to survive.

Agree with all of this apart from the last 3 words.

There is a very credible opposition. Has been for a long time, with the exception of Corbyn.

A lot of Ed Milliband's manifesto is now Conservative Party policy. Funny how the Tory Press ridicule various things when they are Labour policies, and praise them when the Conservatives do the exact same thing. Like the Windfall Tax.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
    Essexphil said:

There is a very credible opposition. Has been for a long time, with the exception of Corbyn.

A lot of Ed Milliband's manifesto is now Conservative Party policy. Funny how the Tory Press ridicule various things when they are Labour policies, and praise them when the Conservatives do the exact same thing. Like the Windfall Tax.
    It could've been all so different if he hadn't eaten that bacon sandwich...

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,199
    Not sure that sending JRM out to defend him, is a very clever thing to do.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,593
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

It could've been all so different if he hadn't eaten that bacon sandwich...

His brother was a much better candidate IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    John Penrose has resigned and will vote against Boris.

The sound of sharpening knives is deafening.
  • Options
    Current exit date betting for Boris Johnson matched money as at 12.00

April 2022 - June 2022

£90

£51

£5

£2

£9

£8

July 2022 or later

£217

£950

£713

£350

£1984

£7
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,199
    edited June 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Not sure that sending JRM out to defend him, is a very clever thing to do.

Booing of prime minister at Jubilee service was 'a mere bagatelle' says Jacob Rees-Mogg
    The minister for Brexit opportunities also says that the idea that the incident prompted any more MPs to submit letters of no confidence is 'folderol'.

https://news.sky.com/video/booing-of-prime-minister-at-jubilee-service-was-a-mere-bagatelle-says-jacob-rees-mogg-12628799