You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Living life on the Edge (Poker, challenges, betting and life) Another blooming diary !

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    Ay up now then. Hope everybody is well.

It's been a rollercoaster of a week, well if a rollercoaster goes mainly downhill at high speed.

Poker has been a blooming disaster with my play being akin to trying to ice skate uphill. Seriously I don't think I have ever played this badly. I can't even win play money on Stars such is the poor standards I'm exhibiting recently.

The only time I had a run in anything this week was Tuesdays mini when connection issues, totaling 45 minutes saw me last until the late reg was ended.

I know I'll play some chess that'll be better right ?

Ahem, well actually no, not really. The tournament sees me at won 4 lost 2 with the other 2 on vacation so I have no idea when they will be concluded but as the opponent is sitting some 350 points ahead in the rankings and I'm ahead by a pawn as white and level as black I'm happy enough there.

However my rapid (blitz) rating is stubbornly around 650 as the pattern of beating players of a similar ranking moves me up 3 - 6 points a time then a lack of concentration against a lesser rank knocks 15 or so points off.

The Great Wall challenge is still slowly moving but needs an injection of enthusiasm really but at the moment my heads just not in it.

Got a phone call yesterday from a cheerful lady at the park where we have our caravan who informed that our van was now 20 years old and were we going to upgrade it or move it off site.

I won't repeat what was said because I'm not proud of my reaction. Suffice to say I had a long chat with God about it later, but left her in no doubt that I classed the Sales staff in the same bracket as the lowest form of scum.

My ire was provoked because the very issue about the 20 year rule had been raised when we bought the van and we were assured that as long as the van was kept in good condition, which it is, there wouldn't be a problem, which there definately is.

So now its a case of either upgrading £20,000+ or relocating £9,000+. Walking away from it means that 5 years of ownership cost £12,000 for the van plus 4 years of site fees @£5,000p.a. inc utilities.

Hopefully we can sell it to one of these companies that use old statics for workers as at least we would get something back.

Some of my non Christian friends reminded me that the insurance is new for old but NO WAY I said although for a brief second I did pause for thought.

The other thing is we will effectively have another house worth of furniture, kitchen appliances, electricals, bedding, crockery, cookware, heaters, T.V.s, DVD player, books oh Lord so many books, patio set, arrrgggghhhhh.

I can't even have a garage sale as my house doesn't have a garage. Note to self, get a quote from Jumbo storage.

So going to milk the van with rentals until Oct half term and bank the cash.

Actually going down to the van tonight with Son as we have a skirmish at OTT Airsoft on Anglesey at 9 in the morning. Who knows maybe sniping someone in the gonads will make me feel better. Its a bit like taking a football there, funny as anything for everyone except the recipient.

Ahh I'm smiling already.

That's about it really apart from answering some fan mail on another thread.

Live, love, laugh.

Mark.

Oh I almost forgot, there's no quiz this week as I've been too distracted to work out the clues. Blame Marine Holiday Park.

• TheWaddyTheWaddy Member Posts: 1,592
    I can see that this was not a self absorbed post in the slightest and all about the charity.

Good to see you verberally abusing caravan staff with 'words your not proud of', which is an ongoing theme, but im sure god said it was ok.

And you got friends who know you well and felt comfortable enough to suggest an insurance job on the van.

Good do.
    TheWaddy said:

I can see that this was not a self absorbed post in the slightest and all about the charity.

Read the title of the thread, what do you expect it to be about?

Good to see you verberally abusing caravan staff with 'words your not proud of', which is an ongoing theme, but im sure god said it was ok.

I never abused the lady. I didn't swear, insult, rant or threaten. The calls are recorded and at no point was I giving them an excuse to put me off site immediately and lose out on 4 months rental income. I may be many things but stupid isn't one of them. My response was based on withering sarcasm and biting observations.

And you got friends who know you well and felt comfortable enough to suggest an insurance job on the van.

Yes I have friends from the dark side of life, after 30 plus years working in the shadows, you create bonds and allegiances. You don't just turn your back on people because you have found a better path in life.

Good do.

Thank you. Now the people who read my musings know what they are getting. However, I feel that this thread is not for you but thank you for your time in reading and posting.

'I had an interesting conversation with a lady at nationwide recovery services who said she didn't have to put up with me speaking to her like I was and that if I persisted the call was over'

And hows she bearing up?
    TheWaddy said:

'I had an interesting conversation with a lady at nationwide recovery services who said she didn't have to put up with me speaking to her like I was and that if I persisted the call was over'

And hows she bearing up?

I would imagine that she's doing just fine, still being unhelpful, uncooperative and as much use as a nipples on a toadstool.

Again thank you for your contribution but I'm sure your time would be better spent composing constructive, informative or humerous posts. maybe even a diary of your own.
    Its certainly informative... here you actually give examples of how you negatively integrate in the community on a daily basis and struggle to communicate on a level without losing your cool when your not getting your own way....

Ozzy Osbournes second solo album springs to mind.....

Just thought id pop in, im no longer taking the attacks personally thats for sure.

TheWaddy said:

Its certainly informative... here you actually give examples of how you negatively integrate in the community on a daily basis and struggle to communicate on a level without losing your cool when your not getting your own way....

That's the point I don't lose my cool. I don't swear, abuse or insult people, its an art form.

Diary of a Madman an ok offering but 1 and 3 were better

Just thought id pop in, im no longer taking the attacks personally thats for sure.

Don't pop in on my account especially as you have nothing positive, meaningful or interesting to contribute.

Trolling is really very childish and often linked to obsessive personality disorders. I think tonight I may ask God to grant you peace.

Now kindly desist from your trolling and go away.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    TheWaddy said:

You can say it he won't be offended
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvydib00yXk
    Ay up then. How is everybody this fine Monday morning?

had myself a little break from poker and chess over the weekend preferring instead to run around in the fresh air and sunshine getting some much needed exercise, so it was hi ho to Anglesey and OTT Airsoft near Benllech.

Turns out that it was not just a skirmish but a full on mil sim which is even better as I personally love them and to make it perfect I was playing as a rebel which means no NATO Cammo wear. Yeah civvies !

Had a great day and fully enjoyed it although stiff as a board on the Sunday.

Above, holding the fuel dump from the Government forces with the help of the HK416 and the M249.

On the betting front I managed to profit from Englands lack of ability to score as both under 2.5 goals and laying both teams to score boosted the trading account by £20 so happy days there.

There will definately be a quiz this weekend and also a Superleague preview as life at Edge Towers returns to normal and the Great Wall Challenge will get picked up again as the new meds are working and the June blues are banished, at least temporarily.

Spent the Sunday afternoon at Specsavers having the bi annual eyetest followed by the bi annual lightening of the wallet.

Actually the two were almost punctured by an angina attack as the sales person said

"Ok so that comes to £584", fortunately that was followed by "Now let's take the special offers and discounts off" and I relaxed as the price kept reducing with every push of a button.

total £195, not cheap but hey at least it's doable. The missus pointed out that her 2 pairs only came to £75. My reply that beer bottle bottoms were cheaper than finely crafted varifocals was not received well and I've gat a sore ear to go with all the aches and pains from Saturday.

So to the coming week and I'm rather hoping for a quiet one with a little poker, a little chess, some reading and as it's youngest daughters birthday on Thursday more than a little cake.

Whatever you're doing this week, have a great one and stay safe.

Live, love, laugh.

Mark.
    edited July 2022
    Hi all, hope life is treating you well.

Poker has been pretty awful over the last few weeks as a combination of poor play, not really focussing and general disinterest meant that my sessions have been sporadic erratic and losing.

Slightly different on Stars where a couple of good runs saw me twice spin up $1 to manage a step 4 entry in their PSPC event. Couldn't quite convert though which was a shame but a great deal of fun for a couple of bucks.

Spent a week down at the caravan chilling and relaxing with family which was great, whilst it will be a shame to lose it the £6k plus a year we will save will get us a few nice holidays each year so its a good trade off.

The Cycling is progressing slow and steady and to be honest I'm just bored with it now 3,500Km was probably a bit too long but hey, as Magnus used to say I've started so I'll finish.

Bought a Stoke City season card for the upcoming season so should be taking in more games than usual, be nice to get the old buzz back every Saturday. Also it gives me free travel to away games so I'm hoping to get more grounds ticked off my list.

Traded some sports with a degree of success, thanks largely to Englands ability to chase down 4th inning totals and The markets underpricing total runs in MLB games. Also found a couple of good positions in MLS games. I'm still only trading small amounts @ £5 average entry but I'm in it for the long game and hopefully will be able to scale up sometime during the 22/23 football season.

A long time very close friend succumbed to cancer Yesterday which was not unexpected but pretty awful just the same, his daughter was with him at the time and all our energy will go into helping her in any way we can or she needs.

Ok so that's where life is at right now. I'm thankful for my life and everything that I have, I have reasonable health, I'm loved, my kids and grandkids are ok and I have my amazing missus to share it with.

Speak when I've anything to add.

Meantime. Live, Love, Laugh

Mark

P.S. Almost forgot the chess has levelled out to a ranking of around 670 for daily games (1 day per move time limit) and 640 for blitz or speed events. I have about 20 games running at the slow pace normally against players ranked 900+ as I prefer these to the quicker 60min time limits or the 15/10 format.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Hi Mark,

Sorry for your loss mate. Hopefully you can stay strong for his daughter.

Do that cycling at your own pace.

How drunk were you when you purchased that season ticket ;)

All the best,

Cheers, Alan.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Can't say much more than what Maxally/Alan said there TheEdge. Sorry about the news and assume the cycling has no 'real' time restrictions or limits.

You seem to be really enjoying your chess at the moment with 20 games on the go - used to do that with Words with Friends years back.

Take it easy mate and likely speak soon.

Cammy
    Poker, sports betting, football trading, very late nights, hard drinking, fast living, bad diet and a disregard for the frailties of human nature.

Walking away from the Bet 365 Stadium yesterday at 5.10 this all came home to roost as a massive wall of pain overtakes my chest. I immediately fire a shot of GTN under the tongue except nothing happens, I wait for about 30 secs and let loose another 2 squirts as I cling to a lampost desperate not to keel over.

Thank God for people who know what they are doing as 2 fellow fans recognise what's happening and help me to get safely to the ground and within a minute I've got an off duty nurse and a first aid trained guy calmly taking control.

Whilst the pain eases, I cannot breathe and the heart hits 200 bpm as I desperately try to suck oxygen in, whilst somebody phones 999 and after that it's pretty much game over.

Except it isn't Somehow I'm starting to breathe more easily and have been put into the recovery position where all I want to do is sleep.

Fat chance as a barrage of questions comes my way from these people as one monitors my pulse, one talks away and a third manages to contact my daughter who lives about 800 metres away up the path. She arrives with 2 of her neighbours, a nurse and a first response paramedic. Lucky me eh?.

Anyway by the time the ambulance arrives I've been stabalised, although when they do bloods my blood sugar level is 2.6, which explains the confusion I was experiencing. I cannot understand how 4 pints and 2 pies can lead to a blood sugar reading of less than 3 but that's what it was.

12 hours later and after 3 blood tests, 2 ECG, 1 EEG and 2 chest X-Rays I get home, hug my wife, assure her that I'm not going to slip away in the hours that follow and get some glorious sleep.

The official verdict was an acute angina episode brought about by the exertion of hauling my hugely overweight carcass up a hill in the hot sun with a low blood sugar count.

My daughter got the names and contact details of those who aided and assisted and I will be contacting them to say a completely inadequate thank you.

I don't write this for sympathy, I'm not built that way, but if you recognise any of the examples in the first sentence being applicable to your own life then think on this and maybe consider you have options. So stay safe and take care yeah.

Live, Love, Laugh.

Mark

• poppy765poppy765 Member Posts: 1,495
    Glad it was just a shot across the bows,
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do next!
    Personally, it was fasting that gave me discipline and got my insulin response under control,
    and adopting a plant based diet that got me healthy and happy.
    Take care man :)
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    Hi Mark

Glad you're OK-must have been scary for a while there.

It's the simple steps you need to take. Diet (as in healthier food, not calorie-controlled) first, then try and lose some weight. Not preaching-previously had the need to do exactly that.

You also need to avoid too much excitement. So no harm in continuing to watch Stoke :)

Whenever I see the phrase "shot across the bows", I think back to a lovely, but dim, Secretary I once had. I dictated "shot across the bows". I got back....

"Sh1t across the bowels". Which made my day.

Take care

Phil
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 763
    Glad you were okay in the end Mark, take it easy mate.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    So you missed the match , it was like chalk and cheese compared to last week
    Stay well mate
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Glad you survived the scare. Take care.
    stokefc said:

So you missed the match , it was like chalk and cheese compared to last week
    Stay well mate

Nah mate I was making may way home after witnessing our super performance.