You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Challenges, In The Style of Thedazzman

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
edited August 2022 in Poker Chat
Hello friends.

By my standards, poker had gone reasonably (and fairly consistently) well this year, until about a month or two ago when I really started to not enjoy it a whole lot. A prolonged downswing was the main cause.

We can all agree that downswings are never fun, and because I have turned into quite the bankroll nit over the last couple of years, downswings of much proportion were a thing of the past. However, a combination of running poorly, taking a number of untimely and unnecessary shots (without much success) and the enjoyment declining, simply manifested some really, really terrible play. This only resulted in that downswing continuing with little chance of reversing. I did take a short break, but that did little help, after returning to a few bad sessions pretty much straight away.

Now, after a much longer break, I am starting to miss playing. That should hopefully resolve the enjoyment aspect.

Additionally, to help keep me in check, and to prevent those recent bad habits from returning, I've decided to create yet another of these threads. Listing some challenges to work towards should keep me focused and determined.

Since the majority of my play will be the Micro Masters League schedule, the targets and challenges will initially reflect these type of games and stakes.

If anyone is unaware, MML is an excellent free competition set up and run by a few forum volunteers, with generous weekly prizes on offer from Sky. Details can be found HERE. New members are always welcome.

Anyway, on to my challenges and targets

-------------------

Short term goals, aimed to be fulfilled by end of the year;

- Profit £1,500
- Win MML 3 times
- Win 30 Tournaments
- Win every event of the MML schedule [except The Mini] at least once.
- Win at least 5, 10, 15, & 20 bounties in any single BH tournament.
- Win an event with at least 50, 100, 200 & 300 players.
- Profit at least £50, £100, £200, £300 in a single tournament.

Longer term goals, with no time frame to be completed;

- Profit £5,000
- Profit £10,000
- Profit at least £500 & £1,000 in a single tournament.
- Win a Mini event
- Win a Main event
- Win the Sunday Major, Mini, and Tuesday's Summit.
- Win all other events at least once if played more than 50 times
- Win a piece of the Final Table Jackpot (highly unlikely, but it's the ultimate target)

---------------------

This list can always be added to or edited later down the line. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

I will generally play Tuesdays, Thursdays and most weekend evenings and will start this challenge next week. New month and all.

Any questions, please fire away.

Cheers

Thanks for reading.

See you at the tables.

Comments

• thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
    edited August 2022
    Progress as of 30th August

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,766

That's an ambitious challenge Dazzy, but it's better to set a high bar (in my opinion) rather than a soft target.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Best of luck @thedazzman , a lot of targets that you've set yourself there.

First and foremost, hope you start to enjoy the game again. And then hopefully the good results will follow.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Goal setting in poker as in life is great for focus Don't do near enough of it.

Positive you will give these goals a proper crack and wish you well, looks tough, Good luck!
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Best of luck @thedazzman

Small incremental goals are a great way to get yourself back in the groove imo :)
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    Best of luck with the challenge
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,626
    Good luck Daz
    I wish i miss playing but i don't, i don't know whats happend with me used to love the game
    Cheers guys.

No idea how many of these goals are achievable, but I am sure time will tell.

As long as I start enjoying poker again is the main thing. A couple of positive sessions and/or completing some of these goals will surely help.

I'm now eager to start.

PS, if I meet any of you heads up, please go easy on me.

PPS, that doesn't apply to @Asho28 :D:D
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767

Cheers guys.

As long as I start enjoying poker again is the main thing. A couple of positive sessions and/or completing some of these goals will surely help.

I'm now eager to start.

Now now, I've being doing alright since you took a break. If it starts going wrong now that you're back, I'll be calling for you to take another hiatus. :smile:
    Asho28 said:

Cheers guys.

I'm now eager to start.

Now now, I've being doing alright since you took a break. If it starts going wrong now that you're back, I'll be calling for you to take another hiatus. :smile:
    BRING IT!! B)
  • PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    GLGL Dazzman!!!
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Nice Start!

Nice Start!

Absolutely.

And the main thing. I enjoyed playing once again. As we all should.

Also, just a quick update to report the progress of the challenges.

By taking 11 bounties in the 22:15 BH & winning the 18:05 BH (87 players), the following can be marked as complete;

- Win 5 bounties in a single tournament
    - Win 10 bounties in a single tournament

&

- Win an event with 50+ players
    - Win an event in the MML

------------------------

Total Progress So Far (and will be regularly updated in the first reply of this thread)

Cheers for reading, good luck at the tables

Good work Dazzy. Most importantly, you are enjoying poker again. As a recreational, there's absolutely no point playing if you don't really enjoy it.
  • coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    Good luck with this @thedazzman sure you will complete most of these challenges, will be some stretch to do them all but there is nothing wrong with having a decent set of targets to strive for.
    coo1-um said:

Good luck with this @thedazzman sure you will complete most of these challenges, will be some stretch to do them all but there is nothing wrong with having a decent set of targets to strive for.

Cheers.

It's quite difficult to think of challenges, other than the usual 'profit x amount'. You are the King of Challenge-Setting. All I knew was, I had to try something to reverse that period of only playing for the sake of it with an almost hatred towards the game. That wasn't a good combination at all.

The challenges I've set may not interest many people, but I feel there are a fair few I should complete no bother, yet some that may not be completed for a while, or at all. It's all about getting the right balance, but if there is a slow and steady completion rate, I'll be happy. It's all about seeing progression.

--------

Just a quick update for tonight.

I work backshifts on Wednesday so usually unable or don't bother to play at all. It goes to show how my enjoyment has returned. I came home and played the 4 final games of the MML schedule. I can't remember the last time I played after a backshift.

Unfortunately, they were all pretty much uneventful, only picking up a couple of bounties.

No more challenges were completed. The profit just fell a little.

A full schedule tomorrow, all being well.

Thanks for reading. Good luck at the tables.

@thedazzman

Swerve the question if it's too personal Dazzy, but you mention "backshift" twice. What line of work are you in?
    Tikay10 said:

@thedazzman

Swerve the question if it's too personal Dazzy, but you mention "backshift" twice. What line of work are you in?

Morning @Tikay10

I wear a nice uniform, we serve the needs of the lovely general public day and night, all year round....

It may sound like something exciting like being part of the emergency services or something, but nope...

It's just a little number in a big retail building.

Tonight's update.

I played all but the final 23:00 MML game. All pretty much uneventful. Although I did have a promising run in the 18:30, but falling short in 12th. Which was my only cash of the night.

None of the challenges were completed today.

On a side-note, because I didn't mention previously, any rakeback/tickets earned will count towards the profit challenges.

Onto Saturday when I should be able to play the majority of games.

Thanks for reading and good luck at the tables.