You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Implanted Debit Cards/ Car Keys?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

The shopping experience on the whole is nothing like it was. It's gotten robotic, prompted by machines and less check-out staff to say "Hello" to or have a brief chat with.

Never loved the self-checkouts when they came out and like even less - it's expanding and looks like it's always going to be. Where is the line? For me - it's now :sunglasses:

The Amazon way forward is to have no checkouts, never mind staff working at them.
    Do you like the idea?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

First bought up few months back from the organisation Big Brother Watch and they have a point, guess that's when the tech was introduced.

Co-ops response was fair “No facial images from the Southern Co-op platform are shared with any other organisation."

Still will be much less likely to shop or spend as much in places like this. Would hate to see this spreading or going much further, it probably will. This is a dud for people wishing to go about their business and using self-checkouts without feeling eyes on you and scanning your face.

Hitting them in the pocket would be the play here if you are uncomfortable with this.

As I said earlier, I am not really bothered.
    Although I do think it is a good idea to sling shoplifters out of shops before they have a chance to rob anything.
    If I had shop I would use it.
    One thing that struck me is that they are buying the service from a private company.
    They previously bought it from another company.
    How many companies have it?
    Who compiles a data base of criminals other than the police?
    So where do these companies get their data from?
    Profiling in a way works as does employing a security person at the door. Sainsbury's have this in the City Centre stores.

This will cost jobs and it's the price of progress - it's not all bad and some good tech has came out through the years. I do get concerned about where the data is going and how things will end up.

I have no issue with the Police having a database of things if controlled and the data is only used for a particular purpose of real prosecution. As with many technologies they can be used for malevolent reasons rather than what they say they are designed for.

It's a concern - it's moving on like the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Selling information for profit is the bad side and information is key. Worked for a outsource company once who says their most valuable asset was people's data - that got me thinking more.

This was a company who I was attempting to sell BT deals for.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537
    Cammykaze said:

Selling information for profit is the bad side and information is key. Worked for a outsource company once who says their most valuable asset was people's data - that got me thinking more.

Data has been used for many years, and has been the basis for many successful marketing campaigns.
    Companies I have worked for have used data for some very successful campaigns.
    These will include lists of the purchasers of luxury goods, or holders of exclusive credit cards, have been proved to have a high level of disposable income, and more able to purchase the products that I have been selling.
    I wasnt aware that the police were selling data.
    If you think about any data that the police sell to private companies, for it to be of any value, it would have to be continuously updated.
    Otherwise it would be very quickly outdated.
    For example a list of shoplifters that was 10 years old would be of little value to anyone.
    If you consider the extent of the data the police collect, I am sure that it is of value to many companies.
    If you just stick with shoplifters for a minute.
    Many forces do not even make arrests for incidents under £200.
    So the shoplifters know the score.
    Therefore a facial recognition camera on the entrance would allow stores to immediately eject convicted offenders, and would be of tremendous value.
    If the police force could be partially funded by the sale of data, I wouldnt object, and the savings could be spent elsewhere.
    It would be beneficial for the police to sell the data direct to the end user, rather than to middle men, allowing them to make profits, for just selling the data on.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cammykaze said:

Moment mother, 38, glassed a teacher from her child's school leaving her permanently scarred in drunken brawl outside a bar

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2022/08/01/9014807728014904832/636x382_MP4_9014807728014904832.mp4

Kelly Thomas, 38, was ordered to pay £600 compensation to the shocked teacher, who was left scarred for life, after the judge watched the shocking CCTV images of the attack. A court heard Thomas 'saw red' in a drunken row outside the seafront Beach Comber bar in Porthcawl, South Wales. She threw her drink at the teacher's face before pushing the glass itself in her face. Prosecutor Jenny Yeo said the victim was taken to hospital where she was treated for multiple superficial lacerations on her face. Thomas was sentenced to eight months imprisonment suspended for 18 months.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11069895/Moment-mother-38-glassed-teacher-childs-school-drunken-brawl-outside-seaside-bar.html
  • Options
    Tesla owner unlocks his car with tiny contactless chip he had implanted IN HIS HAND - saying it comes in 'handy' since his phone's Bluetooth doesn't always unlock it

One Tesla owner won't ever forget his car keys. Brandon Dalaly had a tiny contactless chip implanted into his skin on his hand so that he unlock his vehicle without relying on his smartphone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11127777/Tesla-owner-unlocks-car-chip-HAND-saying-phones-Bluetooth-doesnt-work.html