You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Another one bites the dust.

Comments

• MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    HAYSIE said:
    sooooooo SAD ........ and just shows the dangers jockeys face every day.

Champion Jockey elect, Will Buick was very lucky not to be seriously injured when this years 2000guineas and Royal Ascot winner COROEBUS broke a leg and fell, and rolled on top of him.

Sadly COROEBUS had to be put down, but his loss doesn't remotely compare to the loss of a child

RIP young Jack :'(
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,968
    Grange Hill star dies after surgery complications.

The actress Gwyneth Powell, known to many as the headmistress in the BBC series Grange Hill, has died at the age of 76.

She played the role of Mrs McClusky for from 1981 to 1991, and despite playing many other parts in her career, it was the one that viewers took most to heart.

Matthew Lacey, her agent, said in a statement on behalf of the family that the actress died "after complications following a major operation for a perforated colon".

Confirming she died last Thursday - the same day as the Queen - he added: "She passed away peacefully, with her husband and niece at her bedside.

"Gwyneth will be greatly missed by her adoring family and friends along with her many fans from multiple TV appearances."

Patricia Hidalgo, director of children's and education at the BBC: "We are very sorry to hear of the passing of Gwyneth Powell.

"Her famous portrayal of Mrs McClusky is one that will be fondly remembered by all those that grew up watching Grange Hill.

Another of my childhood memories gone.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,426
    Everyone's second Mum has passed away. R.I.P.

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,519
    Eddie Butler: Former Wales rugby captain and legendary broadcaster dies aged 65

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    I sometimes think of this song while viewing this particular thread.

Jim Carroll lived a fairly full life. As anyone who has seen The Basketball Diaries (his autobiography, turned into a film where DiCaprio played him) would appreciate.

He was also an accomplished musician. Anyone who has collaborated with Bands as diverse as Pearl Jam, ELO and Rancid deserves respect.

This song? Never a hit. And yet features in films as diverse as E.T and The Suicide Squad. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4d7VxcQ30
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147

'Gangsta's Paradise' ....such a great song

RIP Coolio :'(
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    All genres of music have greatness at their best. Apart from Modern Jazz :)

This is, simply put, an awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO76Jlnz6c
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,013
    Rest
    In
    Paradise
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    @Tikay10 may remember this lady RIP Loretta Lynn
    https://youtu.be/fO8RG245ZGY
    edited October 2022
    I do like a good country singing woman with a message - Don't Come Home A-Drinking (With Loving On Your Mind).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnkAkmLtaw
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,810

I don't remember her at all.

Seems she lived to a grand old age though.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,426
    Grand ole Opry

Essexphil said:

All genres of music have greatness at their best. Apart from Modern Jazz :)

This is, simply put, an awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO76Jlnz6c

This song would never have existed if Stevie Wonder hadn't allowed Coolio to use it. Coolio sampled it without Wonder's consent and tried to release it, Stevie found out about it and wasn't happy with his song being associated with 'Gangster Rap'. He threatened them with a copyright case unless they removed all the references to gang culture and profanities, Coolio agreed and it was the first major gangster rap record without any swear words. But it is still a classic song which Stevie Wonder is more than happy to be associated with. Here's Mr Wonder's original version I didn't know how much Coolio actually sampled, I thought it was just a bit of music but it wasn't.

Pastime Paradise by Stevie Wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3Sv2zad6s
    Dame Angela Lansbury, star of stage and screen, dies aged 96

Harry Potter and James Bond actor Robbie Coltrane dies aged 72

• GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,541
    edited October 2022
    Rip Big Jazza.
    ZZ Top’s Dusty Hill Dead at the Age Of 72

HAYSIE said:

ZZ Top’s Dusty Hill Dead at the Age Of 72

The one member of ZZ TOP who doesn't have the famous ZZ beard is the drummer named Frank Beard...

Jerry Lee Lewis, the notorious singer behind Great Balls of Fire, has died aged 87, his agent has confirmed.

One of the last survivors of rock 'n' roll's golden age, his life was also marred by scandal and violence.

His career was briefly halted when, aged 22, he married his 13-year-old cousin Myra Gale Brown.

Lewis's agent described him as "perhaps the last true, great icon of the birth of rock'n'roll".

In a statement, Lewis's publicist Zach Farnum said: "He was there at the beginning, with Elvis, Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, and the rest, and watched them fade away one by one till it was him alone to bear witness, and sing of the birth of rock'n'roll."

Lewis passed away at his home in Desoto County, Mississippi, with his wife, Judith, by his side, his publicist said.

The news of his death comes days after a hoax announcement of his death was reported by gossip website TMZ.

Lewis made his performing debut aged 14, and through his childhood developed his love of boogie-woogie and blues by sneaking into a Ferriday nightclub that featured the era's best blues musicians.

Myra Gale Brown, Lewis' cousin and the daughter of his bass player at the time, was only 13 in 1957 when she married the singer, who was then 22.

She claimed on the marriage licence to be 20 and the controversy of their marriage brought Lewis's career to a halt.

Lewis ended up in jail in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1976 after he was found brandishing a pistol and demanding to see Elvis Presley outside Presley's Graceland mansion.

Earlier that year, Lewis had accidentally shot his bass player.

Lewis's career got a boost in 1989 when he sang his songs for the movie Great Balls of Fire! in which Dennis Quaid portrayed him while Winona Ryder played Myra.