You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Paying The Price?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,347
    Essexphil said:

Every single time the NHS are offered more money, the mantra is always "it's not enough."

It probably isn't. But it's a start. The NHS think they have their own magic money tree.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

I appreciate you don't like Boris. Can't say I'm too fond of the man.

What would you have him do? Not attempt to deal with the care crisis? When he would be attacked for doing nothing.

Or be honest about the problems. When everybody attacks him for prioritising real economic imperatives over manifesto pledges.

One of the few times he is putting the country over self-interest. Seems ironic that he gets away with lying, and gets lambasted for actually telling the truth for once.

Nice to see he remains your pantomime villain. Personally, I think he is thinking ahead. Looks like a good topic to leave on, so he can follow all the other ex-PMs with their snouts in the trough...

• Options
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

What would you have him do? Not attempt to deal with the care crisis? When he would be attacked for doing nothing.

Or be honest about the problems. When everybody attacks him for prioritising real economic imperatives over manifesto pledges.

One of the few times he is putting the country over self-interest. Seems ironic that he gets away with lying, and gets lambasted for actually telling the truth for once.

Nice to see he remains your pantomime villain. Personally, I think he is thinking ahead. Looks like a good topic to leave on, so he can follow all the other ex-PMs with their snouts in the trough...

As I said in my previous post, I realise that this is long overdue, and that it has to be paid for.
    This would have to happen, whoever was PM.
    I just wish it wasnt him.
    I am more concerned about what happens next, regarding tax increases.
    Fair point. Boris, for all his many faults, at least is trying to do something-unlike every PM since at least Major.

The main trouble is that the press/politicians and most of the public believe either:-

1. There is a magic money tree; or
    2. Somebody other than them should be paying

Whereas life is not like that.
    The most determined opposition seems to be in his own party.
    Definitely.

Will hit Conservative voters the most, and cost Tory votes.

Still the right thing to do. That is the way Boris will be remembered as PM-a strange mixture of liar, buffoon, and yet willing on occasion to transcend politics to do what is right.

The sad part is that it will be the last of those qualities that brings about his downfall.
    Boris Johnson has created a ‘social care plan’ without any plan for social care

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/boris-johnson-has-created-a-social-care-plan-without-any-plan-for-social-care/ar-AAObYPK?ocid=msedgntp
    Millions will still have to pay tens of thousands for their care: Most residents won't get subsidies until their third year, and elderly in care now will have to wait SIX years - and even then WON'T have accommodation costs covered

Boris Johnson has claimed that nobody in England will have to pay more than £86,000 in their lifetime to fund their care in later life as part of his controversial £12billion-a-year reforms

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9969685/Millions-pay-tens-thousands-care-Boris-new-social-care-cap.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

As I said in my previous post, I realise that this is long overdue, and that it has to be paid for.
    This would have to happen, whoever was PM.
    I just wish it wasnt him.
    I am more concerned about what happens next, regarding tax increases.
    Fair point. Boris, for all his many faults, at least is trying to do something-unlike every PM since at least Major.

The main trouble is that the press/politicians and most of the public believe either:-

1. There is a magic money tree; or
    2. Somebody other than them should be paying

Whereas life is not like that.

Families are facing a "double whammy" of rises in council tax and national insurance to pay for social care in England, according to the Daily Telegraph's lead.

It says town halls are likely to need extra cash because most of the tax increases approved this week will initially go to the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58524541
  • Options