You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your top 20 Punk bands ranked

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
Ok here's mine FWIW, lets see how many if any at all we agree on.

01, Sham 69
02, Stiff Little Fingers
03, The Clash
04, The Sex Pistols
05, The Rezillos
06, Cockney Rejects
07, Buzzcocks
08, The Damned
09, A.N.L
10, Skids
11, Angelic Upstarts
12, Exploited
13, Boomtown Rats
14, Ramones
15, Black Flag
16, Discharge
17, The Jam
18, Siouxie and the Banshees
19, Undertones
20, The Dead Kennedys

Well that lot should polarise opinion a little. Have at it.

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    edited March 2023
    The Jam = greatest MOD band of all time, NOT punk fwiw.

Boomtown Rats? Again, Punk, really?

The only bands I dont really know in that list are..

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

I knew most of the Stone punks, thankfully. A mad bunch but ok if you did know them. I remember one punk on our estate who was actually called Anti Nowhere League on the CB radio (Showing my age here, sigh)

Question for you Mark. I remember going to a punk band's party back in the day (was an eye opener......we casuals did actually get run out of the party venue!, lol) Anyway, I have forgot the name of the band. Based in Stoke they were and I dont thing they did anything to write home about. Any ideas?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited March 2023
    So difficult. Not least because no-one can agree who's punk, and who's not. But my selection is:-

1. Lurkers
    2. 999
    3. Ramones
    4. X-Ray-Spex
    5. Adverts
    6. Sex Pistols
    7. Pogues
    8. Damned
    9. Dead Kennedys
    10. Sham 69
    11. Stranglers
    12. Boomtown Rats
    13. Macc Lads
    14. Angelic Upstarts
    15. Skids
    16. The Clash
    17. Buzzcocks
    18. Siouxsie/Banshees
    19. Ruts
    20. Wire

So many more I rejected for not being punk enough, but I love. Skindred, Flogging Molly, Toy Dolls, Television....
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

I knew most of the Stone punks, thankfully. A mad bunch but ok if you did know them. I remember one punk on our estate who was actually called Anti Nowhere League on the CB radio (Showing my age here, sigh)

Question for you Mark. I remember going to a punk band's party back in the day (was an eye opener......we casuals did actually get run out of the party venue!, lol) Anyway, I have forgot the name of the band. Based in Stoke they were and I dont thing they did anything to write home about. Any ideas?

Discharge were from Stoke. Broken Bones, too.

Surprisingly, the awesomely named Guns n W4nkers were not :)

Seen the Rezillos, and Angelic Upstarts. Both awesome.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Broken Bones! Yes, that was the band. Thank you Phil @Essexphil .
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Discharge were the only real Punk band to come out of Stoke, formed in 1977 I think.

I would argue that whilst The Jam certainly did become the Modfathers their early stuff is definately punk.

Same with the Rats, songs like Lookin after Number 1 and Mary of the Fourth Form showed the raw anti establishment stance that typified punk. You could argue that The Clash are not Punk for similar reasons but again the early work was absolutely 3 chord heaven.
  • Options

MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Discharge were the only real Punk band to come out of Stoke, formed in 1977 I think.

I would argue that whilst The Jam certainly did become the Modfathers their early stuff is definately punk.

Same with the Rats, songs like Lookin after Number 1 and Mary of the Fourth Form showed the raw anti establishment stance that typified punk. You could argue that The Clash are not Punk for similar reasons but again the early work was absolutely 3 chord heaven.
    Spot on re early Rats. Early Jam clearly had major punk influences-News of the World, Tube Station etc.

Reason I ranked Clash so low is that (with the exception of White Riot) their early stuff was (IMO) overrated.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    I don't think I can remember 20 that I liked , so I'll go for 10-ish

1. The Clash
    2. Sex Pistols
    3. Buzzcocks
    4. X-Ray Spex
    5. Siouxsie + The Banshees
    6. 999
    7. Skids
    8. Boomtown Rats
    9. Generation X
    10. The Members
    11. Stranglers
    12. The Rezillos

BLONDIE would be No.3 if you classed them as a PUNK Band from when they started
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    At the risk of upsetting people, none, nada , zilch , zip , bubkiss .
    I’d rather listen to reggae, and I really detest reggae.
  • Options
    pompeynic said:

At the risk of upsetting people, none, nada , zilch , zip , bubkiss .
    I’d rather listen to reggae, and I really detest reggae.

Hey that's cool buddy no upsetting here. Nice to see you contributing on the forum. Hope you are well.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    MAXALLY said:

Essexphil said:

MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Discharge, named after the lyirics in the Sex Pistols' "Bodies" were formed in 1978 (I know them- Tez, Bones, Rainy & Cal) and used to follow them everywhere. Broken Bones formed in either '81 or '82 (I think), just after Discharge had signed a record deal with Clay Records. Tez and Bones split from Discharge and formed Broken Bones, citing musical differences but have since rejoined with the band and are back to playing their original songs pre record deal.
    The Veins were also a punk band from Stoke whio I once saw at The Inset in Stoke, anyone remember the nightclub? They weren't very good at Punk but soon morphed into Incandescent Luminaire & were still no good at being New Romantics either. Alan/Mark, do either of you remember Lotus Records in Hanley? The bloke that ran that was lead singer of both these bands. Will post my top 20 once I have had a think lol
  • Options
    SidV79 said:

MAXALLY said:

Essexphil said:

MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Discharge, named after the lyirics in the Sex Pistols' "Bodies" were formed in 1978 (I know them- Tez, Bones, Rainy & Cal) and used to follow them everywhere. Broken Bones formed in either '81 or '82 (I think), just after Discharge had signed a record deal with Clay Records. Tez and Bones split from Discharge and formed Broken Bones, citing musical differences but have since rejoined with the band and are back to playing their original songs pre record deal.
    The Veins were also a punk band from Stoke whio I once saw at The Inset in Stoke, anyone remember the nightclub? They weren't very good at Punk but soon morphed into Incandescent Luminaire & were still no good at being New Romantics either. Alan/Mark, do either of you remember Lotus Records in Hanley? The bloke that ran that was lead singer of both these bands. Will post my top 20 once I have had a think lol
    Worst morph for a punk band ever must surely go to the Leyton Buzzards. Writers of great songs such as "I don't want to go to art school".

Morphed into Modern Romance. Who may have sold far more records. But were truly dreadful.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    In ma latter teenage years when ah was goin to clubs / disco's and the like, whatever song I would dive up and pogo to would be be punk to me.
    The Jam were always ma favs but like so many they morphed into the mainstream as they matured and started to try and get some cash.
    There are loads ah could name but ah will go for these 10.

1 The Jam
    2 The Pistols
    3 Dead Kennedys
    4 UK Subs
    5 The Damned
    6 Iggy Pop and The Stooges
    7 Siouxsie
    8 The Saints
    9 The Skids
    10 Sham 69

Ah would say they were the kind of popular punkish bands that ah liked, then you have the more hardcore forever punks,

1 999
    2 The Exploited
    3 Crass
    4 ANL
    5 Cockney Rejects

And then some Yanks

Dropkick Murphys
    Germs
    Social Distortion
    The Replacements
    Minor Threat.

Ah would buy a ticket to see any of these bands today.

• Options
    SidV79 said:

MAXALLY said:

Essexphil said:

MAXALLY said:

05, The Rezillos
    11, Angelic Upstarts
    15, Black Flag

Interesting stuff. I must admit it wasnt the main band members we had a run in with at the party. It was other party goers that took offence at us lot turning up in football casual gear. It would be a small world if you were one of the chaser outers Andy ;)

I dont remember that club/pub called the Insert in Stoke, but obv remember Lotus Records up 'anley duck. Cracking shop......where I brought my 1st Bowie/Jam etc vinyls.

I linked up with that punk I knew from years ago (via Facebook) a couple of years ago. He is now fat, bald and showing his age. He is also a plane spotter & metal detector! Rebel with a cause, lol.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,734
    edited March 2023
    DUNNO if this is punky enough.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIDLk9I6K8
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    @MAXALLY The Inset was on the corner of Liverpool Rd & Elenora St., where the old Co-op bank used to be, just before the car park entrance of Spode. As to the Punk party I don't remember going to that but still went to gigs all over the place, one such gig was at Derby Assembly rooms to see The Ruts, who were support for The Damned (I'd seen them a few months before at Wolves Civic Hall- these two gigs may be the other way around lol)...I especially remember this one as Malcolm Owen o/d'd not long afterwards. The Ruts were brilliant but very underrated and sadly never came to Stoke. on that note I shall list my top twenty Punk bands
    1) The Ruts
    2) Sex Pistols
    3) UK Subs (Charlie & the band are on countdown to their final ever tour starting Sept 7th (Tunbridge Wells) & ending with three sold out gigs at The 100 Club, London on 28th- 30th Sept), they will be missed.
    4) Stiff Little Fingers
    5) 999
    6) The Skids
    7) The Adverts
    8) Crass
    9) Dead Kennedys
    10) Angelic Upstarts
    11) Eater
    12) Maid Of Ace
    13) Siouxsie And The Banshees
    14) The Lurkers
    15) The Ramones
    16) Vice Squad
    17) Discharge
    18) The Members
    19) Sham 69
    20) Ultravox (w. John Foxx)

There are so many more I could have made a case for being in my top 20 but there just ain't the room lol
  • Options
    I remember The Inset.

Lotus records became, once Mike Lloyd's disappeared, the main place for tickets, band shirts etc. Used to get thrown out all the time for taking my chips n curry sauce from the Fishnet chippy in, whilst browsing albums.

Also after I became a metalhead it was the best source of records as the mainstream shops didn't even know how to spell "Heavy".
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    Define "Punk"

I used to often hear the saying:

"Punk isn't a fashion it's an attitude"
  • Options

DUNNO if this is punky enough.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIDLk9I6K8

Very much in the Talking Heads genre. Hadn't come across this before, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited March 2023
    I saw killing Joke in 84 at the Viccy Hall just when Love like Blood was released , there were lots of Punks at the gig and was very wild with punches shoves and general disorder but with a togetherness , it was mad especially when they played this..Eighties
    https://youtu.be/x1U1Ue_5kq8