You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Outstanding or Interesting Photo's

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,670
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,045
    Tikay10 said:

At least three troops faint in military parade inspected by Prince William.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8CumWYtbY
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,239
    edited June 2023

This extraordinary aerial shot shows Centuripe, a small town on the island of Sicily that bears an uncanny resemblance to the shape of a person. Taking the silver award in the 'Aerial' category for professional photographers, it's the work of photographer Marco Calandra, who gives the image the title of 'The Titan'

Leighton Lum captured this hypnotising photograph of a rare black panther in Kenya, spotted with its kill between its jaws. The image snares the silver award in the 'Wildlife' category for professional photographers

Countryside in the Czech Republic's South Moravian Region is smothered in reds, greens and browns in this autumnal shot by Zdenek Vosicky. It receives the silver award in the 'Landscapes' category for professional photographers

Topping the podium in the 'Landscapes' category for non-professional photographers, this atmospheric picture shows the early morning fog over Hintersee Lake in Germany's Berchtesgaden National Park. It was captured by photographer Judith Kuhn

Topping the podium in the 'Architecture' category for non-professional photographers, this picture shows the 'fairytale ' Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi after sunset. Photographer Judith Kuhn says: 'A unique lighting system reflects the phases of the moon'

The Aldeyjarfoss waterfall in the Highlands of Iceland is beautifully captured in this photograph by Judith Kohn. She notes that it was a 'cool minus six degrees Celsius' when she took the picture, which takes the bronze award in the 'Landscapes' category for non-professional photographers

Vietnamese photographer Khanh Phan captured this dramatic picture of a man fishing as a storm approaches, which takes the silver award in the 'People' category for professional photographers

This otherworldly picture by photographer Talia Greis shows an 'impressive' cluster of water lilies in a water-filled sinkhole in a Mexican rainforest. It takes the gold award in the 'Underwater' category for professional photographers

Scooping the top prize in the 'Aerial' category for professional photographers, this striking picture shows a polar bear crossing melting sea ice during the summertime in Canada's Nunavut territory. It's the work of photographer Florian Ledoux

Describing this vibrant shot, photographer Andrea Michelutti says: 'This mantis shrimp embraces and protects its treasure: thousands of eggs.' It takes the silver medal in the 'Underwater' category for non-professional photographers

Look carefully at this stunning photograph of a lake in Peru's Manu National Park and you'll spy a spectacled caiman, a species of reptile, lurking in the water, which is mirroring Mauritia palm trees by the shore. The picture takes the silver medal in the 'Nature' category for professional photographers

Impressing the judges, this close-up photograph of a nectar bat feeding takes the top prize in both the 'Nature' and the 'Wildlife' categories for non-professional photographers. It's the work of Gianni Maitan

Titled 'Double Trouble', this shot of two dogs was captured by French photographer Giovanna Arnaud Fleming. It bags the silver award in the 'Domestic Animals' category for professional photographers

Photographer Heike Willers snared this shot of her pet dachshund, Kluftinger, on one of their 'early morning walks' in the German city of Wiesbaden. The dog is silhouetted by the lights of a railway station. The image takes the silver medal in the 'Domestic Animals' category for non-professional photographers and also scoops the People's Vote Award in the same category

This lushly-coloured shot shows the first frost on the Carp River, which runs through Michigan's Upper Peninsula region. Captured by photographer Cameron Wilcox, it takes the bronze award in the 'Aerial' category for non-professional photographers

LEFT: Le Jardin Majorelle, a botanical garden in Marrakech, Morocco, is the subject of this shot, which takes the bronze award in the 'Travel' category for non-professional photographers. Rebecca Crichton, who captured the image, says the gardens, which were once owned by the late fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent, 'celebrate the usage of rich vibrant colour and are truly a feast [for] the eyes.' RIGHT: This eye-catching portrait of a Sphynx cat named Djaxx was captured by Pieter Clicteur and takes the bronze award in the 'Domestic Animals' category for professional photographers

Photographer Wolfgang Autexier took this powerful shot of an African lion, which takes the bronze award in the 'Wildlife' category for non-professional photographers

Taking the top prize in the non-professional category as well as the gold award in the 'Photojournalism' category, this poignant photograph shows a man scavenging at a dump in southern Angola. Photographer Joao Coelho says: 'The dump is located in an uninhabited plain on the outskirts of a small town and the people who live and work here seem to have been forgotten by the rest of the world.' He continues: 'It is at the end of the day that the dump resembles a post-apocalyptic scenario. The atmosphere is heavy, almost palpable, interspersed with the living flames of the [dump's] fires spewing toxic fumes that mix with the warm evening air'

Behold, the picture that claims the overall prize in the professional arm of the contest. Captured in the Indian city of Kolhapur, it shows two young men who practice Kushti, a traditional form of wrestling in India, relaxing after training. One wrestler has something caught in his eye, and the other is helping him to remove it. Photographer Alain Schroeder says: 'Living and training together promotes camaraderie, solidarity and fraternity in this universe where time has stood still.' The picture also gets the gold award in the 'People' category for pro photographers
  • Options
    Not outstanding but an interesting one.

• Options
    lucy4 said:

Not outstanding but an interesting one.

He was quite a character apparently, & I suppose was the first "paparazzi". He died last year, aged 91.

Galella was known for his obsessive picture taking of Jacqueline Onassis and the subsequent legal battles associated with it. The New York Post called it "the most co-dependent celeb-pap[arazzo] relationship ever". The 1972 free-speech trial Galella v. Onassis resulted in a restraining order to keep Galella 50 yards (later changed to 25 feet) away from Onassis. He was found guilty of breaking this order four times and faced seven years in jail and a $120,000 fine; later settling for a $10,000 fine and surrendering his rights to photograph Jackie and her children.

On June 12, 1973, actor Marlon Brando punched Galella in the face outside a restaurant in Chinatown in New York City, breaking the photographer's jaw and knocking out five of his teeth on the left side of his mouth. Galella had been following Brando, who was accompanied by **** Cavett, to the restaurant after a taping of The **** Cavett Show earlier that day. Galella hired lawyers Stuart Schlesinger and Alfred Julien to sue Brando and ultimately settled for US$40,000. Schlesinger reported in the 2010 documentary Smash His Camera that Galella received two-thirds, but only cared about getting the message out, "I don't want anyone to think they can go around punching me if I am taking their picture. Get that story out, not the money." The next time Galella chased Brando, he wore a football helmet.

Galella once lost a tooth when he was beaten by Richard Burton's security guards. He unsuccessfully sued the actor. Elizabeth Taylor, who tended to be tolerant towards photographers, was often heard to mutter, "I'm going to kill Ron Galella!", although the actress would later use his photographs in her biography. Galella's other targets included Elvis Presley, whose bodyguards slashed his tires, Brigitte Bardot, whose security staff hosed him down, the restaurateur Elaine Kaufman of Elaine's once threw a trashcan lid at his head, and Sean Penn, who spat at him and reportedly punched him while being photographed with his then-wife Madonna.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Although it looks like the Blackbird is hitching a ride it is in fact chasing the Osprey away. The following description is from the actual photographer Jocelyn Anderson.

Osprey with Red-winged Blackbird.

A Red-winged Blackbird looking like it's getting a free ride on an Osprey's stick. The Blackbird was focused on driving the Osprey away from the marsh, while the Osprey was focused on bringing back a good stick for the nest.

More of her photographs can be seen here.

https://jocelynandersonphotographyshop.com/
  • Options

What a 'photo that is.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,519
    Home of the Director of " The Italian Job "

• Options

It makes me shudder just looking at it.
  • Options
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,764
    lucy4 said:

It makes me shudder just looking at it.

I remember being told by a tutor (I studied photography), that those shots were all double exposed negatives, very early image manipulation, I took his word as gospel and have never tried to fact check it.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Buster Merryfield, Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses. 1938 🥊

• Options
  • Options

Fabulous 'photo.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Fabulous 'photo.

The sheer size of the ship compared to the houses surprised me though I suppose the photo could be a bit misleading.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,764
    edited January 9
    lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Fabulous 'photo.

The sheer size of the ship compared to the houses surprised me though I suppose the photo could be a bit misleading.
    think its been shot with a zoom lens, like an 85 to 135mm, compresses distance :)

magic picture