You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hellmuth - the chuntering enigma.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    BenC, I'm sure there's some truth in using his image for profit. It does add a level of complexity and second guessing, but his ability to weave through massive fields of recreationals is impressive. He's a fish at cash games.

I've heard he's a good guy off the table and a big lump, which might be why people rarely give him some back. I've known a few people confirm he's always a jerk at the table, even when the cameras aren't rolling. Negreanu is the complete opposite.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    I also wonder whether people have an expectation that he will kick off, therefore-if only for his own reasons, commercial or otherwise....he fulfils their expectations?

Would we all like to be on a table with him?

Yes I think we would, just to see if we could wind him up! Hey donkey @MISTY4ME ..imagine if I played my fav hand or @HANSON shoved with his 64off??
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,576
    Tikay10 said:

17 WSOP bracelets, incredible. And I really want to admire someone who is clearly so successful.

But I just can't get myself to admire anyone who can't take a poker beat like a grown-up, & who regularly insults opponents who beat him. I often wonder if he's an only child, or perhaps on the spectrum.

He was at it again last night, in a perfectly standard spot. Chunter chunter chunter.

Does he not realise what a fool he makes of himself?

by on the spectrum I assume you mean autistic spectrum? I doubt we would ever find out as with all the responsible gambling measures and negative stereotypes on autism, coming out as autistic if your a professional poker player would be a hugely negative ev thing to do.

although i really hope that would not restrict peoples freedoms to gamble.

all that been said so many people call Phil Helmuth a bad player yet his results speak for themselves, there is already an evolution starting in online poker the next evolution and I have been seeing it on streams.

basically a lot of players at the top levels learn GTO and then when someone does stuff completely non GTO like limping buttons 3 handed or raising to 3 x instead of 2 x heads up at relatively low stacks it throws people off. now usually at my stakes when you see this sort of thing its recreational.

However I have been seeing top players start doing this is Phil Helmuth ahead of the curve and also adapting to throw people off? I think not because why is he not also so successful online?

I think this leaves us with either he is just very good at exploiting recreational but not at playing high levels online and is autistic or he is very good at baiting people or throwing people off their game with this behaviour. That it is deliberate, I have seen enough of people who deliberately act like a **** at the poker table to throw people of their games.

personally I don't believe it is an act invented to throw people off or that Phil is autistic I believe that he threw his tantrums learned that it did throw people off had any incentive to mature or change.

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,055
    You've Never Seen Phil Hellmuth This Quiet Before! | 2023 World Series of Poker Main Event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6zQtDVByE